By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Nintendo Handheld Will Kill The Nintendo Console

Really if we think about this ... with the GBC/N64 or GBA/GCN ... you really needed a Nintendo console. You couldn't really run any type of 3D game on a GBC or GBA. Mario 64 or Zelda: OoT or Smash Bros. Melee just weren't possibly on handhelds. 

When DS came out, it had rudimentary 3D ability comparable to the Playstation 1/N64. It could do some Nintendo games OK in 3D, but nothing special.

The 3DS can run Nintendo IP with fairly reasonable 3D visuals. It has the first new 3D Mario, it will have the first handheld Smash Brothers, etc.

But next Nintendo handheld ... even if its just on par with a Vita + more RAM ... should be able to run most Nintendo IP at a pretty darn expressive level of visuals. We're talking something that should be able to run a very nice version of even Nintendo's more taxing visual franchises like Metroid Prime or Zelda. It would be significantly more advanced than the Twilight Princess or Prime 3 Corruption engines. Or even Mario Galaxy 1/2.

Which kinda leads me to think ... that more than anything may be the death knell for the Nintendo console (if various other factors aren't). 

If you're a consumer and you can get a very pretty looking Mario or Zelda game on your handheld, I think you're going to be less apt to buy a seperate $200-$300 console for something that's slightly better looking. Nintendo is not really one to push ridiculously budgeted games anyway, even if you gave them a PS4 level chip, Mario Kart would probably look mostly the same, just running in a higher resolution with more AA or someting. 

Around the Network

Are you saying, in this case, that Nintendo would do this? If so, you're crazy. Nintendo wouldn't kill of their console market. Even if their Handhelds become increasingly more apt.

padib said:

People buy systems for games. So long as Nintendo offers compelling games at a reasonable price, people will buy both.

Generally speaking though, Nintendo handhelds have started to match/best their console bretherin in that categorey lately too. 

It may be capable of running those games, but Nintendo will not put a AAA Zelda or Metroid on their handheld when they have a home console, they will however put a smaler scale Zelda like A Link Between Worlds.

NintendoPie said:
Are you saying, in this case, that Nintendo would do this? If so, you're crazy. Nintendo wouldn't kill of their console market. Even if their Handhelds become increasingly more apt.

I'm just saying the age of mobile chip advancement has reached a point today where the next Nintendo handheld will be able to play any type of Nintendo game and really give it a very nice level of visuals. 

The days where Nintendo handhelds seemed like 1-2 entire generations behind their console big brother are baiscally coming to an end. 

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

It may be capable of running those games, but Nintendo will not put a AAA Zelda or Metroid on their handheld when they have a home console, they will however put a smaler scale Zelda like A Link Between Worlds.

We'll see how that changes with the Wii U flopping very hard. If Mario 3D Land outsells 3D World by like 3-4x, I think it becomes very hard to justify putting the next 3D Mario on a console just because that used to be the normal way of doing it. 

Soundwave said:

I'm just saying the age of mobile chip advancement has reached a point today where the next Nintendo handheld will be able to play any type of Nintendo game and really give it a very nice level of visuals. 

The days where Nintendo handhelds seemed like 1-2 entire generations behind their console big brother are baiscally coming to an end. 

Okay, then I would technically agree with you on that. But even then, Nintendo's Handhelds won't kill Nintendo's home consoles.

Soundwave said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

We'll see how that changes with the Wii U flopping very hard. If Mario 3D Land outsells 3D World by like 3-4x, I think it becomes very hard to justify putting the next 3D Mario on a console just because that used to be the normal way of doing it. 

Well this has nothing to do with the Wii U, in this thread your discussing the next generation, for all anyone knows Nintendo's next home console could sell really good.  Also home console games are sold at $60 and handheld games are sold at $40, so even if the handheld sells more you have to take into consideration Nintendo is making less money per copy sold.

Well I'll just put it this way ... the next Nintendo handheld should be quite capable of pulling off a Mario game that looks like this:

Or a Zelda game like this:

Or a Metroid game like this:

You gotta wonder at what point a consumer simply say "well y'know do I really need an entirely seperate console when my Nintendo handheld/tablet is already capable of the above" (more or less).

I think this is already happening a little bit with the 3DS -- Wii U ... some people are just opting to stick with the 3DS because it already gives them their Mario Kart/Zelda/Mario fix on top of the Pokemon series. 

i think Nintendo should release a device on Vita level of performance that only plays games, and only digital games

they should call it the Nintendo GO