By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 outsold XBOX360 in January (NPD)

Well, I did a 200 mile radius check on Gamestop using zipcodes of New York City, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Houston and if I had to put out a percentage I would say that about 85% of those stores all had a 4+ (highest stock number GS gives) next to the store name and location. Most of the others were 1-3 and a few 0's.

That was just Gamestop and only four cities and only searching for the Xbox 360 Pro model. Probably a bad example of measuring supply but for a thrown up estimate I would have no problem finding an Xbox 360 in those cities.....considering those are the most populated....and thats not including Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc etc etc.

I guess I'm just saying that for Microsoft to all of a sudden have supply constraints when the NPD numbers hit is rather suspicious. It just always seemed when the PS3 was selling less than everyone "it sucked" but when the 360 sells less than everyone its because of "supply constraints". Going on to their 3rd year of production I'm going to go ahead and label that one under "yeah, effin, right".

Ask me how to turn a Rottweiler in to a Dodongo and I'll tell you the story of a lifetime.

Around the Network

I doubt these numbers are true but it is possible. All the people claiming that 360 is supply constrained are sad and that is the worst excuse i have heard yet for 360 pathetic numbers. I suppose it is supply constrained in Japan and Other as well. Yea ok pathetic excuse, if MS a giant corporation can't supply 360s that is just unbelievable.

I wonder whether ioi will make adjustments to the numbers.

That's Surprised PlayStation 3 outsells Xbox 360 in Jan. So what happen to VG Chartz seem failed to me.

Those are some quite surprising numbers. Not only did the ps3 outsell the 360, but it outsold it by so much!

Around the Network

The numbers are surprising for the PS3 because they're so good, but the Wii numbers were almost exactly as expected due to Nintendo repopulating its supply chain. The supply chain of Wiis seems to be good now, based on the last couple weeks worth of numbers, so we should see ~500k wii's sold in Feb.

The 360 has a lot to lose if MS can't get supply going again soon. This is a huge deal as the shortage will have a very positive effect on PS3 sales. The longer the 360 goes in a shortage, the more sales it directly loses to the PS3. Sony has the advantage MS had during holiday 2006 -- they're the only console readily in stock, and that *will* pay off.

If MS fixes the RROD issues once and for all it might change my mind about getting a PS3 over the 360, however. 

uh, uh, VGCHARTZ is teh more accurate than npd!

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

@goldenpp72 who knows?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Is this thread #9 that has "ps3 > 360" in its title? I kinda lost the count.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Well I really would like to know what ioi thinks about this;..

Is NPD wrong? I mean if ioi says that people will hate this site more;..

If he changes the number everyone (on other sites) will say....VGCHARTZ sucks he really have no numbers at all..

So ioi....What do you think about this?

It is a big difference;.