By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 outsold XBOX360 in January (NPD)

`Source: http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=474

American Sales

Total Hardware Units: 1,227,000

Nintendo Wii: 274,000
Nintendo DS: 251,000
PLAYSTATION 3: 269,000
Xbox 360: 230,000
PlayStation Portable: 230,000

Around the Network

Impossible.

Wait, what!?

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

very interesting numbers indeed - I guess the PS3 heavily profited from the format war being pretty much decided, because the prices of stand-alone blu-ray players are about as high as the 40GB and from what I heard even rised a bit after WB's Blu-exclusive announcement.
It's astounishing how close it came to the Wii, but as many people will mention, this might have something to do with supply.

ah yea, something very notable happend - if you include PS2 numbers (264.000) , you can see, that this was actually the first month the PS3 managed to outsell the PS2 in USA!

""It's astounishing how close it came to the Wii, but as many people will mention, this might have something to do with supply.""

==> I believe we can add this for the Xbox360 too

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I have a hard time believing that thousands and thousands of people were trying to get a 360 but were not able to find one.

Just quickly pouring through VGC numbers for January, it seems like the differences to NPD are pretty extreme. I wonder what's up with that.

Is NPD telling the truth? The numbers are too different from VGC, especially since NPD was so wrong in December

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

How was NPD so wrong in december?

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Well the PS3 was going to outsell the 360 at some point in NA, might as well be now.