By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales - Media Create, Famitsu & Dengeki Week 50 ( Dec. 9 - Dec. 15 ) that holiday bump!!

Go Wii U, and Super Mario 3D world gaining momentum..oh and for the record SM3D world has now sold more than Knack in the UK ;)

Around the Network

wow... the Wii U sprung back to life. I'm sure it wont stop the doom sayers, but it shows signs of recovery on all 3 major markets.

ethomaz said:

Seece said:

That's week 1 though, the 1.22 figure for last year doesn't include that week 1.

WTF why people buy things in Japan after the Christmas lol

New Years is the big holiday there rather than Christmas.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

I see... just seems a bit weird this cutural difference

ethomaz said:

Viper1 said:

I see... just seems a bit weird this cutural difference

Indeed.  Christmas is gaining in popularity there  but it may be a generation or two before it stands similarly to Christmas in the west.

Other cultural holiday differences are Golden Week, Coming of Age Day and Obon.  We usually see nice sales spikes in Japan during those times too.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
zippy said:
Go Wii U, and Super Mario 3D world gaining momentum..oh and for the record SM3D world has now sold more than Knack in the UK ;)

Good news, but hardly an inspiring achievement - one is the latest entry in one of gaming's longest-running, most successful series, the other is a poorly reviewed launch title aimed at a younger audience which was never going to do Mario type numbers because its aimed at children, who are not the sort of people who buy consoles at launch and whose parents usually wait until they've dropped in price.

It avoids some of the embaressment that would have otherwise happened, but its still a sign of how much work nintendo has to do in the west, particularly in europe - I may be wrong and I'm prepared to be called out if I am, but I don't think the post-christmas slump in January is going to be very kind to WiiU once the crutch of nintendo's usual strong holiday performances is kicked away.

At least things should stabilise after MK8 and SSB and DK:TF come out, but that window, though it mightn't last too long, will probably still look pretty painful

There is however one thing we can say with certainty - there will be doom threads, lots and lots of doom threads :(

Looks like Wii U is coming back from the dead. Amazing 3DS software sales!

Those are some huge numbers for WiiU really nice!! 3DS beasting as usual, and P&D above 500k how's that even possible ? Gung Ho will be a big publisher in the next years confirmed ?
Vita will do great next week with a lot of releases tomorrow, Shin Gundam Musou, Amnesia Bundle and some other games.. But it looks safe for now !
This is a typical Nintendomination week !!

I'm confused as to why Wii Party U showed up on Famitsu, and at number three, while it didn't even show it's self on Media Create. That's quite a large discrepancy.

NintendoPie said:
I'm confused as to why Wii Party U showed up on Famitsu, and at number three, while it didn't even show it's self on Media Create. That's quite a large discrepancy.

Wii Party U & New Super Mario Bros U are bundled as digital vouchers with Wii-U's in Japan at the moment.  Famitsu counts these; Media Create doesn't.

Hence why I keep kicking up a stink on the forums about VGC's interpretation of these numbers.  We take the average of the two figures but this is completely rubbish since it neither represents pure physical sales (which is what VGC is supposed to track) nor physical + digital (as it's missing out on a load of the vouchers by taking the average).

As you can see, I'M STILL MAD!