By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To Wii U "Haters": Why Do You Think Wii U Will Sell On The Same Level Or Worse Than GameCube?

Rogerioandrade said:
Hynad said:

If things continue at this pace, it won,t even reach Gamecube's numbers.

But if Nintendo can pomp out other games like the universally acclaimed Super Mario 3D World, but in their other beloved franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc... Then I think that viva vocé could have a very good impact on sales and things could improve tremendously.

And further down the line, The Wii U still has the advantages of being the cheaper 8th gen console on the market, so I think that if it survives long enough, people will opt for it as their second console.

You made a simple and objective summary of all this repetitive and boring discussion. Best post on this entire thread. Thanks.

By the way, no main home console will match last gen sales.

just cause you agree with it doesn't make it true, so far nintendo has pumped out zelda wind waker hd, 2D mario, 3d mario and pikmin, yet it still tracking behind the dreamcast, and what makes you think no home console will match last gen sales, othere then the wiiu failing.

Around the Network
drake4 said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Hynad said:

But if Nintendo can pomp out other games like the universally acclaimed Super Mario 3D World, but in their other beloved franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc... Then I think that viva vocé could have a very good impact on sales and things could improve tremendously.

And further down the line, The Wii U still has the advantages of being the cheaper 8th gen console on the market, so I think that if it survives long enough, people will opt for it as their second console.

You made a simple and objective summary of all this repetitive and boring discussion. Best post on this entire thread. Thanks.

just cause you agree with it doesn't make it true, so far nintendo has pumped out zelda wind waker hd, 2D mario, 3d mario and pikmin, yet it still tracking behind the dreamcast, and what makes you think no home console will match last gen sales, othere then the wiiu failing.

Of course it's not true, I'm making a supposition about what could happen in the future. Many things could happen. But feel free to come back from the future once you've gotten there to see if it's entirely false.

Sales in March will be higher too due to Mario Kart launching a month later, and people getting bored with their PS4 and Xbones.  I already have read a handfull of posts from people regretting buying the new consoles because they dont have much to offer in terms of games, just wait and see what happens when there will be nothing to play for months and the Wii U will be the only console with a decent library and new games actually coming out.

Why should PS4 players get bored in march/april? The second software waves arrives that time (DriveClub, inFamous 3, Thief, Watch Dogs...)

The same goes for XBO.

I really hope it will end up selling better than the GameCube when it's all said and done, but right now it doesn't look like it will. So what if the 3DS started selling really well after it had a pricecut and started getting great software. It doesn't mean that the same will happen to the Wii U. The N64 struggled while the GameBoy thrived. The GameCube struggled while the GBA thrived.

Things can obviously change.
Nintendo needs to advertise it a lot more aggressively, and they need to get long-time Nintendo fans back with IPs that appeal to them: Star Fox, F-Zero, Wave Race, Paper Mario, Metroid, Earthbound and some new, impressive ones too.

Rogerioandrade said:
zorg1000 said:

I dont buy the whole gamepad is integral part of the UI argument. What about it wouldnt function properly with a Wiimote or Pro Controller?

Wiiu apps and many of its games make integral use of the Gamepad, so taking it away is not an option.  This is something you will only understand if you try the console.

Apps and certain games use It is completely different than saying the console wouldnt function properly without it.

Also what apps? and not a whole lot of games require it and they could still sell it as an accessory while having a bundle that includes it. 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
mjo011 said:
I really hope it will end up selling better than the GameCube when it's all said and done, but right now it doesn't look like it will. So what if the 3DS started selling really well after it had a pricecut and started getting great software. It doesn't mean that the same will happen to the Wii U. The N64 struggled while the GameBoy thrived. The GameCube struggled while the GBA thrived.

Nintendo needs to advertise it a lot more aggressively, and they need to get long-time Nintendo fans back with IPs that appeal to them: Star Fox, F-Zero, Wave Race, Paper Mario, Metroid, Earthbound and some new, impressive ones too.

They need a couple titles that clearly differentiates the Wii U from anything else. But those also need to have a clear visual appeal. Visuals sell. That's lame, I know. But it's the same for everything in the medias. 

The next Zelda needs to be a stunner. People have to go WOW when they see it for the first time. Not "WTF is that art style!"
It has to have an incredible atmosphere, a unique take on the franchise... They can't mess this one up. People are looking from not that far a distance the first time a proper Zelda will be in HD (Yeah, there's Wind Waker, but that one wasn't made to take advantage of the Wii U's hardware).

People bought a Wii for Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Super Mario and fitness and dance games... The Wii U has nothing comparable to that so far. Yes, there will be games from those franchises on the Wii U, but the Wii had the first Wii Sports, the first good fitness titles... The Wii U will look like more of the same to all those millions of casual gamers who got the Wii because it was a hot and unique item back then. Not so with the Wii U. Nintendo needs a new differentiator of that caliber that takes advantage of all the Wii U's feature set, if they want to get a fraction of those who got into the Wii's disruptive approach.

Hynad said:
drake4 said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Hynad said:

Of course it's not true, I'm making a supposition about what could happen in the future. Many things could happen. But feel free to come back from the future once you've gotten there to see if it's entirely false.

anything could happen but those chancesare very slim, a console dead in europe and dead in the US is not gonna just start selling cause of mario kart which is the only system seller on your list

Wii U will sell 80 Million Unites. Or more.

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

Hynad said:
mjo011 said:

They need a couple titles that clearly differentiates the Wii U from anything else. But those also need to have a clear visual appeal. Visuals sell. That's lame, I know. But it's the same for everything in the medias. 

The next Zelda needs to be a stunner. People have to go WOW when they see it for the first time. Not "WTF is that art style!"
It has to have an incredible atmosphere, a unique take on the franchise... They can't mess this one up. People are looking from not that far a distance the first time a proper Zelda will be in HD (Yeah, there's Wind Waker, but that one wasn't made to take advantage of the Wii U's hardware).

People bought a Wii for Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Super Mario and fitness and dance games... The Wii U has nothing comparable to that so far. Yes, there will be games from those franchises on the Wii U, but the Wii had the first Wii Sports, the first good fitness titles... The Wii U will look like more of the same to all those millions of casual gamers who got the Wii because it was a hot and unique item back then. Not so with the Wii U. Nintendo needs a new differentiator of that caliber that takes advantage of all the Wii U's feature set, if they want to get a fraction of those who got into the Wii's disruptive approach.

how does the wiiu have nothing compared super mario and fitness, when the sequel to new super maio has been released and 3d world has been released, not to mention wii fit u.

Guys and gals comparing the sales to the GC, just remember...
The Gamecube sold 6 million in its first year.
PS3 sold 5.63 million in its first year.

First year is not everything

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)