By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To Wii U "Haters": Why Do You Think Wii U Will Sell On The Same Level Or Worse Than GameCube?

Soundwave said:
My suspicion is that Nintendo will hit the panic button with Mario Kart 8 and make their "do or die" stand with the console there.

Drop the Game pad (probably about a $60-$70 savings) as a standard and take another $40-$50 reduction in price ... $199.99 Wii U alongside Mario Kart 8.

I honestly don't think they have much choice left.

Smash Bros. isn't going to salvage the system where 2D Mario and 3D Mario and Mario Kart have all failed and Zelda sure as heck isn't either. It's Mario Kart or bust now.

Dropping the gamepad is really not an option as it is an integral part of the UI, the Wii U doesn't function properly without it. Most of the games may not show it just yet, but the console is built around the gamepad. The amount of redesign required after so many years of R&D can not be justified and this would in no way benefit Nintendo's long term goals.

I could see a bundle and price cut if Wii Fit U fails to pick up the ones attempting to honour their new years resolution and Donkey Kong not pushing hardware. Personally i predict healthy sales for the Wii U all year round next year though.

2D Mario has far from failed, its attach rate is over 50% and together with Nintendo Land by far the best selling game on the system. NSMBU is actually still appearing in notable positions in the charts in all regions, which gets us to the conclusion it's the support that failed. 3D World has already managed to climb to the top of the list as well. It was one of the few games to actually see an increase in sales over last week in Japan and will most likely see a considerable spike during Christmas week in other regions. These games are some of the few reasons the system is selling at all.

Smash Bros is a growing franchise, even the Gamecube version saw an increase in sales over the n64 despite the userbase difference. Total sales for the Wii version are over 10 million, not many single platform franchises reach these numbers. Even during the extreme Wii U doom period Smash and Kart remained hyped. It should not be underestimated. 

Zelda really depends on the graphical style Nintendo chooses to pursue I think, which is unfortunate really. Their claims of letting go of certain Zelda elements we've grown accustomed to could lure in potential buyers but a Wind Waker art style approach would blind these changes.

All that said, I don't expect massive spikes for most, if any of these games, rather a steady increase in interest in the console in general. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
My suspicion is that Nintendo will hit the panic button with Mario Kart 8 and make their "do or die" stand with the console there.

Drop the Game pad (probably about a $60-$70 savings) as a standard and take another $40-$50 reduction in price ... $199.99 Wii U alongside Mario Kart 8.

Smash Bros. isn't going to salvage the system where 2D Mario and 3D Mario and Mario Kart have all failed and Zelda sure as heck isn't either. It's Mario Kart or bust now.

This reminds of a vita tv move LOL. 

Because rather than seeing the full picture, I find it convenient to assume that current trends will hold on for the rest of Wii U's lifespan. I also like to ignore the fact that Gamecube was a cheaper console with a superior software library available by its second holiday season while taking this opportunity to claim that Mario now is a weak franchise since it cannot carry the Wii U console on its own.

And, most importantly, by claiming that the Wii U will be a failure my bullying mentality will be satisfied as my console of preference appears better in comparison.

fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

Probably more akin to a mix of the $99 price cut to the GameCube in 2003 and the 2DS model option for Nintendo this past holiday.

Vita TV is more like Sony's PSP Go, kind of a weird experiment that seems to be going nowhere. 

$199.99 Wii U with Wii Sports Club + NSMBU bundled could start selling at least a GameCube-like baseline I think. Maybe even slightly higher, but they are well behind the GCN right now. 

anonymunchy said:
Soundwave said:

Dropping the gamepad is really not an option as it is an integral part of the UI, the Wii U doesn't function properly without it. Most of the games may not show it just yet, but the console is built around the gamepad. The amount of redesign required after so many years of R&D can not be justified and this would in no way benefit Nintendo's long term goals.

I could see a bundle and price cut if Wii Fit U fails to pick up the ones attempting to honour their new years resolution and Donkey Kong not pushing hardware. Personally i predict healthy sales for the Wii U all year round next year though.

2D Mario has far from failed, its attach rate is over 50% and together with Nintendo Land by far the best selling game on the system. NSMBU is actually still appearing in notable positions in the charts in all regions, which gets us to the conclusion it's the support that failed. 3D World has already managed to climb to the top of the list as well. It was one of the few games to actually see an increase in sales over last week in Japan and will most likely see a considerable spike during Christmas week in other regions. These games are some of the few reasons the system is selling at all.

Smash Bros is a growing franchise, even the Gamecube version saw an increase in sales over the n64 despite the userbase difference. Total sales for the Wii version are over 10 million, not many single platform franchises reach these numbers. Even during the extreme Wii U doom period Smash and Kart remained hyped. It should not be underestimated. 

Zelda really depends on the graphical style Nintendo chooses to pursue I think, which is unfortunate really. Their claims of letting go of certain Zelda elements we've grown accustomed to could lure in potential buyers but a Wind Waker art style approach would blind these changes.

All that said, I don't expect massive spikes for most, if any of these games, rather a steady increase in interest in the console in general. 

I dont buy the whole gamepad is integral part of the UI argument. What about it wouldnt function properly with a Wiimote or Pro Controller?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

Probably more akin to a mix of the $99 price cut to the GameCube in 2003 and the 2DS model option for Nintendo this past holiday.

Vita TV is more like Sony's PSP Go, kind of a weird experiment that seems to be going nowhere. 

$199.99 Wii U with Wii Sports Club + NSMBU bundled could start selling at least a GameCube-like baseline I think. Maybe even slightly higher, but they are well behind the GCN right now. 

Nintendo should be very happy if they even reach GC numbers, the wiiu now has 4 consoles to compete with, the GC had way better third party support, unlike the wiiu, and the wiiu had a year to itself as being the only new console on the market, while the GC launched a year and half later,theps2 already had all the games and most third party were exclusives by the time GC came out.

If things continue at this pace, it won't even reach Gamecube's numbers.

But if Nintendo can pomp out other games of the quality of the universally acclaimed Super Mario 3D World, but with their other beloved franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc... then I think that viva vocé could have a very good impact on sales and things could improve tremendously.

And further down the line, The Wii U still has the advantage of being the cheaper 8th gen console on the market, so I think that if it survives long enough, people will opt for it as their second console.

Hynad said:

If things continue at this pace, it won,t even reach Gamecube's numbers.

But if Nintendo can pomp out other games like the universally acclaimed Super Mario 3D World, but in their other beloved franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc... Then I think that viva vocé could have a very good impact on sales and things could improve tremendously.

And further down the line, The Wii U still has the advantages of being the cheaper 8th gen console on the market, so I think that if it survives long enough, people will opt for it as their second console.

You made a simple and objective summary of all this repetitive and boring discussion. Best post on this entire thread. Thanks.

By the way, no main home console will match last gen sales.

zorg1000 said:

I dont buy the whole gamepad is integral part of the UI argument. What about it wouldnt function properly with a Wiimote or Pro Controller?

Wiiu apps and many of its games make integral use of the Gamepad, so taking it away is not an option.  This is something you will only understand if you try the console.

Rogerioandrade said:
Hynad said:

If things continue at this pace, it won,t even reach Gamecube's numbers.

But if Nintendo can pomp out other games like the universally acclaimed Super Mario 3D World, but in their other beloved franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc... Then I think that viva vocé could have a very good impact on sales and things could improve tremendously.

And further down the line, The Wii U still has the advantages of being the cheaper 8th gen console on the market, so I think that if it survives long enough, people will opt for it as their second console.

By the way, no main home console will match last gen sales.

Based on what?