By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The REAL reason the Wii U is struggling and what needs to be done! Nintendo fans, get in here!!

As you clicked this thread title and glanced at the thread creator, i'm sure a lot of you mumbled "What!? What could this SONYITE possibly know about Nintendo!?!". I guess you will all just have to trust me on this one. I have talked about this a couple of times here on the forums so this may sound familiar to a couple of you.

If a company ever finds themselves in a bind, they have to acknowledge it, find the source of its problem and correct it. 

Now if we want to find the source of their problems, we have to ask ourselves "What is the main cause of the Wii U's struggles?". I'm pretty sure the majority of people would say "Games". The Wii U doesn't have many "games" right now and that's why it is struggling, right? 

...WRONG!!!

Do you remember these commercials? when these came out, i was not on any gaming forum like here and i hadn't even discovered the internet gaming community on Youtube yet(i feel like it was more fresh with a lot more people back then). I was just your average everyday consumer back then and i can tell you that these commercials had me hooked!

usually i would say that i want a Nintendo console because of the Zeldas, Metroids and all that other stuff but i actually wanted the Wii itself. I didn't want it because of the Nintendo franchises. I mean i knew that the Nintendo games were coming but i just wasn't that worried about them.

What is the 1st thing you think of when you hear the word "Wii"? If you go out to random people and ask them what the "Nintendo Wii" is, i guarantee that they will say something along the lines of "it has the Wii Mote" or "It's the one with the motion controls".

I actually went back and looked at some of the old games on the Wii that i wanted and i noticed that the majority of games i wanted WEREN'T Nintendo games

Wii

Trauma Center

Red Steel(I wanted to play this game SO BAD)

Rayman Raving Rabbids

Super Monkey Ball(Mainly because of the way it was used with the Wii Mote at the time)

Rampage(kinda because i played it back on Sega/Super Nintendo)

Elebits

Metal Slug Anthology

Sonic and the secret rings

Kororinpa(I wanted to play this more than Super Monkey ball for some reason)

The only Nintendo published game i really wanted to play was WarioWare smooth moves because already played Zelda on Gamecube at a friends house but i did eventually buy it for myself on Wii.

When i look at the Wii U, i don't see any 3rd party games that make me want to get it like the original Wii.

Wii U

Pikmin(THE game that makes me want the Wii U)

The Wonderful 101(i guess this coud be considered a 3rd party game)

Nintendo Land

So where are those other games that helped sculpt the Wii name into what it is today? why are they absent? Why was there more people making games for the Wii and not Wii U?

What's the difference between the Wii and Wii U?

lol have you all caught on yet or do i have to keep going? ;)

Ok i'll just come right out and say it.. the GAMEPAD is what's holding the Wii U back!

..there.. i said it..

Like i said before, the 1st thing you think of when you see the word "Wii" is motion controls/Wii Mote. So if i buy a console that has the word "Wii" in it then i would be expecting a "Wii Mote" to come with it.

what does the Wii U come with? the damn Gamepad.

So why would you call this new system a Wii if you abandoned the VERY thing that defined what a Wii is?

The Wii used the Wii Mote but the Wii U uses the Gamepad?

Why did you not just call the "Nintendo Wii U" the "Nintendo Gamepad U", Nintendo?

The Wii U IS NOT a Wii!

The Gamepad should have been presented the same way that Wii Fit was presented. It should have been bundled with Nintendoland and sold seperately. I actually think that the Gampad would have sold more at this point if it WASN'T the main controller

Nintendo is not going to strive with the Gamepad. There is NO gaming software that will prop the Wii U up to where it should be. Mario Kart and Smash Bros WILL NOT do it aslong as that Gampad is there.

Nintendo needs to bring the Wii Mote back. They need to slowly phase it back in. They should announce a new $349 sku that has the Wii Mote included and only advertise that version in commercials as if the Wii Mote never left. Then they could eventually bring out the Gamepad+NintendoLand bundle as a seperate peripheral.

When this is done, they could remove the Gamepad from the $349 sku, then they could drop the price to $249 and just bring out a different $299 sku that still includes the Gamepad.

This will basically provide a Wii U with THE SUPERIOR Wii Mote at a cheaper $250 price(like the original Wii) and a $300 Wii U that still has the Gamepad.

I bet my life that the $250 sku that doesn't include the Gamepad will fly off of shelves and would also make some of these devs want to create games for the Wii U like they did for the Wii again. It wont sell as much as the Wii but it will still put them in a better position.

So what do you guys think? Am i fucking crazy or could i be on to something here? Let me know below

Edit: I tried to make this as fast as possible so i might have made some mistakes

Around the Network

They need to get to $199. No one is paying $350 for a Wii U, no matter what controller you throw in the box.

If the Wii would have been HD and sold for 399... sales wise it would have been the king of consoles of all time. I forget what the OP was talking about and I'm too tired to look.

I agree with the thread post for once. Shocked! A Sony fan correctly identified what I've been thinking as well.

The gamepad isn't so much a bad idea, but it's not a "WOW" idea. Nor is it "I wonder what it's like?" idea. It's a good idea.

There are two markets for a Wii, the "Hardcore Gamer" and the "Casual Gamer".

Nintendo F'ed up it's reputation with a lot of the hardcore gamers, so they would only really buy it if they were diehard or they had to because of overwhelming third party exclusives.

As I said earlier, Nintendo didn't impress the "Casual Gamers" with the gamepad, nor did they capture their imagination. Those gamers are really just people who sit on the fence not buying anything unless something impresses them. The Gamepad is great, but it doesn't shock and awe you.

You know what I noticed a few days ago (and didn't want to make a thread about)?

I was looking at my 3DS and saw I owned a game called Freaky Forms. For a second, I thought to myself "What the fuck is this bullshit!" I'd played it for dozens of hours at one point and forgot it even existed because it was in a folder I never opened. Anyway, I remembered a 3DS commercial with a bunch of "cool guys" hanging out playing games like Mario Kart, Starfox, and probably some other stuff. Then one guy said "You guys don't even know about Freaky Forms."

I had a revelation. Why did the 3DS get such a mature campaign and the Wii U has a bunch of kids talking about hot buttered popcorn? It's like the Wii U just lost its balls.

Around the Network

I don't agree with ya, though. I was trying to get a Wii for months before I finally got one. The games I wanted were all first party. My second or third game was Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, a game I already owned on Gamecube, because there just wasn't anything available that I wanted.

Even now, there's just a handful of third party Wii games that I ever owned. Most of them sucked balls. Meanwhile there's plenty of Wii U third party games I'm interested in. The Gamepad is awesome, btw.

Lower the price even more. Nobody gonna paid $350 just like soundwave said when you could get a PS4 or Xbox One a superior console

enditall727 said:

As you clicked this thread title and glanced at the thread creator, i'm sure a lot of you mumbled "What!? What could this SONYITE possibly know about Nintendo!?!". I guess you will all just have to trust me on this one. I have talked about this a couple of times here on the forums so this may sound familiar to a couple of you.

If a company ever finds themselves in a bind, they have to acknowledge it, find the source of its problem and correct it. 

Now if we want to find the source of their problems, we have to ask ourselves "What is the main cause of the Wii U's struggles?". I'm pretty sure the majority of people would say "Games". The Wii U doesn't have many "games" right now and that's why it is struggling, right? 

...WRONG!!!

I bet my life that the $250 sku that doesn't include the Gamepad will fly off of shelves and would also make some of these devs want to create games for the Wii U like they did for the Wii again. It wont sell as much as the Wii but it will still put them in a better position.

you would probably lose your life, the wiiu is already 299$ with the gamepad and 2 games bundled. 50$ off would be a small boost.

Regardless of who makes them, there has yet to be any compelling software releases. With the Wii there were several which I knew I had to have, and a good number more which I really wanted as side titles.

On Wii U, there are a few games I want, none that I must have. There are no flagship games out there for the console.

Third party games are alright, but unless it is 1990's and we're talking about Square, I don't think there are any that match up against first party games in terms of interesting software.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Kororinpa was the better game anyway.

I'd loved it if Nintendo just stuck with the Wiimote.