By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So the console market continues to shrink...

We´ve seen so many fanboyism these days on these forums that it seems that people are not noticing this:

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Take a look of console sales comparing year-to-year sales for the same period, the number of consoles sold is just decreasing year after year... and it´s decreasing fast, even with Vita and WiiU price cuts and the two biggest console launches ever.

Of course this decrease is in part due to low sales of Nintendo home consoles, but even if we consider that Xbox360 and PS3 owners may have been upgrading, those brands are also down year-to-year.

Is the videogame marketing having trouble in getting new consumers? Is it definetely getting niche and losing the casual audience that milked it two years agot?

Around the Network

Ehm... This only shows a dying gen... Expect numbers to rise again. Also to really have data worth interpreting you should at least show data from a decade.

lol whatever makes you feel better about the WiiU situation i guess!

The PS4 and Xbone will replace the falling sales of their older brothers, but that won't happen this year. They have just launched and won't sell billions right away.

PS4 could, but there is not enough supply and Xbone has a price/image problem.

Do this again in 2014 ;)

The handheld market certainly won't ever get as big as it once was.

The console market will get back to its former heights, but probably not really surpass them.

This doesn't make much sense, console sales always go down at the end of a generation. People are ready for new consoles, why else did the PS4/XBO get 1m in sales in the first day.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Somini said:

lol whatever makes you better about the WiiU situation i guess!

The PS4 and Xbone will replace the falling sales of their older brothers, but that won't happen this year. They have just launched and won't sell billions right away.

Do this again in 2014 ;)

When has any console every sold billions lol?

Devil_Survivor said:
Somini said:

lol whatever makes you better about the WiiU situation i guess!

Do this again in 2014 ;)

When has any console every sold billions lol?

Not right after launch, that's for sure.

And you know what i mean ;)

Saturation of 7th gen.
Handeld gaming is getting eaten by mobiule.
But homeconsoles will continue to grow.
The homeconsole market grew 28% going from 6th to 7th gen.

edit: and consoles always peak somewhere betwean there 2nd and 4th year

non-gravity said:

The handheld market certainly won't ever get as big as it once was.

The console market will get back to its former heights, but probably not really surpass them.

I hope so, but every brand is down year-to-year since 2010.

Yes, there´s a new generation coming, but considering those big launches, shouldn´t we have sales at least on par this year compared to last year?

Sales follow a bell curve. Overlapping sales of one console at the end of its bell curve and another console at the beginning of its will not equal sales of a single one at the top of its curve... this is the natural console cycle at work.