By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So the console market continues to shrink...

softcoregamer82 said:

I don't think this generation will have more home console sales than the last generation.  You had three consoles either at or near 100 million, and I don't see it this generation, especially with the Wii U predicted to do Gamecube numbers.  And handhelds won't top the DS and PSP combo either.  So the seventh generation will be the peak for total home and portable console sales, and the individual portable console peak with the DS.  And the PS2 will probably never be topped either for home consoles.

The only way this gen will be less in sales than last gen (total not individually) is if this gen is significantly shorter due to changes in how consoles are released (small iterative jumps vs big tech jumps).

Around the Network

LOL really? Broken records everywhere and still the lame ass articles.

hand held for sure are down, and 3ds and vita won't come close to the ds and psp

home consoles though it will depend if xb one and ps4 can improve more than the wii u will be down

edit

One other thing, the length of this generation will reduce the amount of combined sales from the 2 generations. The ps3 360 and wii combined probably won't linger on after the start of this gen like the ps2 did.

I dont think year on year matters much. What matters is how many consoles got sold in the generation. There is such a thing as a limit on the number of individuals you can sell a console to, and to see it seeling so much in such a long generation says alot more than year on year possibly could.  The market has grown on every cycle since beeing re-introduced.
Also, i wouldnt throw portables and home consoles together. They are different markets.