By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who Says Linear Games are a Bad Thing?

http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=10701

EDITORIAL
Who Says Linear Games are a Bad Thing?
Do linear games really deserve their bad rap?
February 13, 2008

by: Brian Langlois

"I believe that with an open mind, all games can be fun, linear or not. I hope to see the linearity of a game become less of a judgment factor."
It's a word that is used often while critiquing a game, usually in a derogatory fashion. It is used by reviewers and fans alike, and has become the bane of many a promising game. The word is linear, and it is a truly dirty word in the video game industry. Sometimes though I wonder why exactly this is. Is linearity (that's the word for it) a measure of a game's quality? Does it really make a game less appealing or less worthy of purchase if you follow a predetermined progression or is this just a symptom of a consumer base that places heavy emphasis on expectations? Gamers can be pretty judgmental of products that don't match up to their pre-conceived notions, but I for one do not believe that this mindset leads to fair assessments of game quality.

There was a time when all games were linear, if you could even call them that. Some of the very first video games didn't even have different levels; it was the same every round, only increasingly faster. Still, a player felt like they were making progress, not standing still. I'll admit that games had different goals and gave a different sort of satisfaction at that time, but we still had fun with them. The point is that nobody judged those games as anything more than they were. They still offered a lot of interactivity and strategic decision making, and were a great foundation for the industry. Of course, things must evolve, and games did just that, becoming more complex each generation. But complexity is not necessarily an improvement in its own right though many see it as such. It is funny that the classics don't get called out as being linear like a modern game would.

It wasn't until the later generations of video games that the ability to take multiple paths through a game became so important to players. While there were 2D style games that allowed a player to take multiple paths, this didn't become something that gamers expected, or even demanded, until much later. Really, it was the creation of 3D environments that closely resembled the real world that created the whole non-linear game play phenomenon. It was probably the idea of a "go anywhere" world that was so similar to real life that made gamers really crave a non-linear story progression. Making these decisions helped us feel more immersed in the games universe, which is certainly not a bad thing. In fact, this was a true evolution of the medium that added a lot more diversity and life to the industry.

So with this great boon there also came problems. For some reason, players began to expect games to offer them a lot of freedom and choice, and this can be a great thing, but only when implemented properly. The thing is that it just doesn't work for certain game designs, and for some reason this has become quite a stigma for a game to have a linear progression. It is such a prevalent notion that linear games are subpar that many developers will take to shoe-horning in branches and free-roaming segments just to avoid the label. In fact, a very recent example of this would be the city of "Santa Destroy" in Suda 51's No More Heroes. Now, as much as I like this game, it would have been just as good without having to drive across a barren city to get from mission to mission. This is the major flaw cited in many reviews of this otherwise great game. So why include it at all? It's there because it gives the illusion of choice to the player. It feels like they can go wherever and do whatever they want. Of course, all the free missions are pure fluff and completely unnecessary to the game. But better to add a bunch of nonsense than be called out as linear by the gamers.

So, if one game has already suffered for the inclusion of free-roaming, non-linear elements, why do gamers continue to insist on it as a cornerstone of good game design? I think it has mostly to do with a perception of value. Non-linear games tend to be longer as you might sometimes take a wrong turn. You make more decisions and feel like you get more of a reward. I'm not too sure that tons of backtracking is a reward, but it can certainly add to the hours logged. For story driven games with multiple paths, there is the replay value aspect as you can get a different experience each time through. While neat, I find that I don't replay a lot of games anymore, especially super-long ones. It starts to feel like work after a while, and that's not what I want from my entertainment. Most real replay value comes from multiplayer anyway, which makes more sense to me than wading through the same basic plot over and over again. For me, the biggest value is fun, and I have found, especially recently, that I can have just as much fun with a short game as an epic one.

Are games like Viewtiful Joe any less entertaining because of their linearity?
So really, to me at least, linearity is not a good judgment of a games quality. In fact, I've played many recent linear games that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Viewtiful Joe comes to mind as a stand-out from last generation. I enjoy shoot-em-ups like Contra 4 and rail shooters like Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. These are all quality games worth playing even though the progression is very linear. These types of games reward the player in different ways than story and character development. If that is your primary purpose in playing games, then I can understand how a linear game might be unappealing. Still, as I have often said, a game should be judged for what it is, not for what it isn't. Fun can be had in all shapes and sizes, be it a side-scrolling "run, jump, and shoot" game, or a sprawling RPG with many nooks and crannies to explore.

I believe that with an open mind, all games can be fun, linear or not. It just doesn't matter to me how I progress through a game. Sometimes all you really want is to run and gun, without too much decision making. I respect the effort it takes on the part of development teams to really create interactive experiences that can vary greatly each time through, but I think this is overvalued by consumers. Some games don't need to have branching paths to be fun, and really the fun is all that matters in the end. I hope to see the linearity of a game become less of a judgment factor, with people accepting games of all types as compelling and worthwhile, no matter which direction it takes to get there.
---------------------------------
Nice read

Around the Network

This is kind of how I look at it when comparing WRPG's and JRPG's. It's nice to have choices, but a single great story can make up for a lack of player choices. They both have their ups and downs, but to me JRPG's are more fun because of that linearity. I've always liked the feeling of playing through a single story line, and seeing where the story takes me.

Listen, Brian Legolas ... I had ADD when that junk was called 'Problem with staying on task ...' and you think having to accomplish tasks are cool. Hell to the no. I love being able to go wherever I want and do whatever I want. Like Mass Effect, Saints Row, Test Drive Unlimited and hands down, GTA.

Monkeys love to follow paths - I don't. Thanks and have a nice day.

I wasn't aware there were things wrong with Linear games. Not every game in existence has to be open world. Sometimes I actually like nice linear games that put me down a certain path and that idea works great with some games and others it doesn't.

I love story driven games, linearity is the way to deliver that in it's fullest. God of war dragged me through one planned out battle after the next, and I absolutely wouldn't have it any other way :P

RPG's have to be fairly story driven in order to keep my interest. I tried getting into oblivion, but it seriously felt like an MMORPG - the other players after a while. You kind of forget why your supposed to be doing something and the game just turns into quest time @Ironforge.

They both have there ups and downs, and I can see people that want to be active and always on the move preferring non-linear games. However when it comes to RPG's I need to be blown away by an Epic story that does not let go of me.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I agree with the premise of the article, but he leaves out a big argument, which is that linear games actually have a pretty big advantage when it comes to storytelling and gameplay engineering.

Linear games have their place... After all, pretty much every FPS ever created is completely linear, as are most action games.

My biggest beef in the linearity vs. sandbox argument comes with the term "JRPG" when there are virtually no "RPG" elements in those games. I enjoy JRPGs, but they're not role-playing games and most are completely linear. You play whatever the designer intended you to play and no choice is given to the player.

On the other hand, you have Bethesda games which are the exact opposite. Those games are the true descendants of the pen and paper RPGs, for they provide virtually no story and complete freedom.

Personally, my favorite games fall somewhere in the middle, which explains why BioWare is probably my favorite developer right now.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I'm glad to see someone call out reviewers for this sort of thing, finally. Shoehorning non-linear gameplay where it doesn't belong has always been a major pet peeve of mine, since it eliminates the developer's ability to create the tight, scripted encounters, puzzles, and other such sequences that are so essential to the action, FPS, and platformer genres.

I think the phenomenon is a bit overrated, though. I mean, the number of people who love linear games like Super Mario Galaxy and Call of Duty 4 (to name two recent, and excellent, examples) is much greater than the (small but vocal) number of Internet whiners who want everything to be a GTA or Fallout-style sandbox.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Entroper said:
I agree with the premise of the article, but he leaves out a big argument, which is that linear games actually have a pretty big advantage when it comes to storytelling and gameplay engineering.

Linearity does not equal better storytelling. There is still no jRPG that matches Planescape: Torment in story and writing. If anything, theroretically Linearity might break part of the Immersion due to not being able to make your own choices and truly Roleplay your character.

As for gameplay linear games are, by default, less complex, and therefore inferior gameplay.

I think of a linear game the same way I think of books. Have you never gotten into the story of a book? There are no choices in them but the story keeps you going and you want to see what happens next even though you have no say in the matter. A good Linear Game can be just as fun as a good book.