By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why didn't sackboy become bigger?

curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:
As for personality, Sackboy has more charm and character than an avatar like Mario or Link, for example.

What charm and character? He was intentionally a blank slate.
Mario, by contrast, brims with character, from his joyous exclamations as he jumps, flips, and spins, to his endless enthusiasm, to hs childlike exuberance as he run with his arms outstretched pretending to be an aeroplane. He's not just an avatar, he had a distinct personality that it appealing and infectiously upbeat and cheerful.

Obiovusly he's not - have you played the LBP games?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:
As for personality, Sackboy has more charm and character than an avatar like Mario or Link, for example.

What charm and character? He was intentionally a blank slate.
Mario, by contrast, brims with character, from his joyous exclamations as he jumps, flips, and spins, to his endless enthusiasm, to hs childlike exuberance as he run with his arms outstretched pretending to be an aeroplane. He's not just an avatar, he had a distinct personality that it appealing and infectiously upbeat and cheerful.

I agree, for once.

But man, did you nail the definition of mancrush, haha

With that said, Sackboy was intentionally a blank slate to invite people to come in and craft him and his world to their preference.

Mario may well have a lot of charm and character, but anything beyond that would be pushing it a bit.

Lawlight said:
d21lewis said:
STRYKIE said:

You guys are using the word mascot way too euphemistically. I guess Blinx the Cat is Microsoft's mascot?

Mascots have been dead since the 90's.

Edit: Oh and I love how LBP's floaty mechanics are being slandered by the same frauds who probably defend and welcome the broken, buggy, piece of trash known as Super Mario 64 with open arms.

I jizzed over Super Mario 64 back in '96 and I loved it on DS back in '04 but I watched a Twitch 120 star speedrun last night.  The mechanics are still solid and it broke new ground back in the day.  It's not so great now.  I can respect its achievements though.  It ushered in a lot of stuff we still have today.

LBP is a good game and it's gorgeous to look at.  I think it would have done better if Sackboy were defined, though.  It was a design choice but I think it hurt the game more than it helped.  And the game IS a bit glitchy and the mechanics floaty but I can forgive it.  It's trying to do a lot of things at once.  Any game that has realistic physics is going to have unexpected results sometimes.

Played SM64 a few years ago on emulator. Yeah.... no good. I rarely ever not finish a game but I couldn't see myself going back to it after a few hours of mucking around.

To be fair, I'm talking right back to 1997 on the console itself. Nobody cares about Aaron Rodgers' opinion of the 1982 Superbowl.

The problem with LBP, at least the first one (being the only one I bothered playing), is that while the concept of "create and share your own platformer levels" sounds great on paper, the problem is, at the end of the day, the actual gameplay itself just wasn't very fun. It failed, in my experience, to do the two things required in a platformer well at all: running and jumping. The controls and physics were just very floaty, and the game in general just felt very generic and empty, not matter what creative things people did with the levels. Perhaps the sequels improved on that, but honestly, it just didn't have enough actual substance in the GAMEPLAY, to hold my attention.

DevilRising said:
The problem with LBP, at least the first one (being the only one I bothered playing), is that while the concept of "create and share your own platformer levels" sounds great on paper, the problem is, at the end of the day, the actual gameplay itself just wasn't very fun. It failed, in my experience, to do the two things required in a platformer well at all: running and jumping. The controls and physics were just very floaty, and the game in general just felt very generic and empty, not matter what creative things people did with the levels. Perhaps the sequels improved on that, but honestly, it just didn't have enough actual substance in the GAMEPLAY, to hold my attention.

You clearly didnt try very many user created levels then. Some of the user created stuff put the retail levels to shame.

Around the Network

It's most likely because Sony didn't pay the extra money to add the heart when they were building it at Build A Bear Workshop.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
code.samurai said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
i dont understand the hate here by some people, what personality have link or mario ... same as sackboy lol

There is no hate here, just stating facts as to why Sackboy hasn't reached the popularity of popular characters like Mario (Ninty), Sonic (Sega) or even 'Chief (MS).  I'm studying character design myself, and when I look at Sackboy all I see is brown wool eyes buttons threads.  Clearly he is designed to be the all-around-toy, the toy that could be any toy.  Hence he is very generic and does not own any specific personality.  This is the intention of the designers at media molecule.  They never meant for him to be a "flag ship character" or a "Sony Representative" character, otherwise they would have made him more interesting.

Look at the design of Mario and Link, they have highly saturated colors and colors suggest a lot about their character.  By design I don't mean anything stupid like fashion or any bullshit they come up with in Milan.  I'm talking about product and graphics design, like the wheel is designed to roll or the color green is designed to tell drivers that it's okay to Go.  I guess you can say that a solution is DESIGNED to solve a specific problem.  In Sackboy's case the problem was "How do we make this character that people can turn to anything they like?" and Media Molecule devs/artists designed a solution to make his base concept forgettable and he can be anything you want him to be.  The design did not give him any personality because that wasn't part of the problem they were trying to solve, so they removed most identifying marks in him and made his base model very forgettable so that you can "make up any character in your imagination."

Remember I am not attacking Sackboy, he is designed to be as generic as possible so that people can imagine something else in his place.  Had their intention was to create a Mascot for Sony, Sackboy would have been a lot more interesting and possibly have a better name than "Sack" "Boy".  This would be hard to accept as most Little Big Planet fans have a lot of fondness for the games, and so most fans are emotional about this topic.  The road to acceptance is:

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

6. ???

7. Profit! $$$

lol i was talking about personality , and they ALL have zero , a potato have better than them lol

can we enjoy them ? yes ofcourse they are cute etc.

lol, personality is derived from character.  I see with you I have to connect the dots to be clearer.  Example, if you see a photo of a hardened criminal, you can see anger in his features and possibly impulsiveness.  It's not hard to give him a personality from seeing his picture.  When you see vibrant colors in a character model either link or mario, the subconscious associates those colors with fun, being outside and running in the sun.  It implies outgoing personality and cheerfulness.  In Sackboy's case, brown and a dull brown at that, implies earth, decomposition, steaming pile, etc.  Nothing to associate with any character, only association would be dirt.  

It may be true that certain people are color blind, you may know people that can't see emotion in others, some people may have a hard time seeing personality from abstract concepts as well.  Just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.  Green is green, a color blind and blind person won't see it but it's there.  I suggest learning graphic design, not just in relation to games, maybe it'll open up a whole world to you.

code.samurai said:

lol, personality is derived from character.  I see with you I have to connect the dots to be clearer.  Example, if you see a photo of a hardened criminal, you can see anger in his features and possibly impulsiveness.  It's not hard to give him a personality from seeing his picture.  When you see vibrant colors in a character model either link or mario, the subconscious associates those colors with fun, being outside and running in the sun.  It implies outgoing personality and cheerfulness.  In Sackboy's case, brown and a dull brown at that, implies earth, decomposition, steaming pile, etc.  Nothing to associate with any character, only association would be dirt.  

It may be true that certain people are color blind, you may know people that can't see emotion in others, some people may have a hard time seeing personality from abstract concepts as well.  Just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.  Green is green, a color blind and blind person won't see it but it's there.  I suggest learning graphic design, not just in relation to games, maybe it'll open up a whole world to you.

So, in other words - you're making the character up for Mario? Ok...

Lawlight said:
code.samurai said:

Nope it means character and personality is already implied.  The people and designers consciously chose those colors to suggest character and personality even before you see them move or even speak. These associations that the audience will make wont even be at a conscious level, most players just feel them.  That is what character design is all about.

code.samurai said:
Lawlight said:
code.samurai said:

Nope it means character and personality is already implied.  The people and designers consciously chose those colors to suggest character and personality even before you see them move or even speak.  That what is character design is all about.

The bald space marine is a truly great design. So many things implied.