By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is no one complaining about paying for PSN?

I would complain if they offered me 4 year old average games like a similar service does, but PS+ offers top quality games that are not very old.

Resogun and contrast day 1 for PS4 and drive club for free when it comes out.....thats already your money back, on top of that you will keep getting ps4, ps3 and vita games throughout the year.
Compare that with gears of war from 2006 for 360 in games with gold....and no xbox one games planned yet.

I was opposed to compulsory subscription, but if PS+ can keep going like this, I wouldnt mind if it was forced on people who dont even have a ps4! The more people that have it, the better its going to get.

Just to rub it in, you can use cross game chat on the PS4 without having PS+.

Its even better value than £40 of games you could get from the humble bundles. You can get more on humble bundle but the quality wont always be there and the best games offered in the humble bundles like farcry 3 and BF3 have also been on PS+.

Around the Network

Glorius PC/WiiU/3DS/Vita Free Online Master Race

Mr Puggsly said:
I said it years ago...

Once Sony starts charging for online play, Playstation fans will suddenly be okay with the idea. As expected, now people just complain which is the better value.

If they just flat out said "we're charging for online", I'd be livid. If that's all it was that was behind a paywall, there'd be no complaining about which is the better value because for all intents and purposes, they'd be equivalent.

But as it stands, they are not equivalent. PS+ get's you instant game collection as well as free monthly games, early beta access, play as you download, discounted PSN content, full game trials (meaning you can play whatever aspects a game has for an hour, not a scripted "1 hour demo" where you can only do certain things), and then online MP.

XBL only gives you online MP. It's not an apples to apples comparison. It's apples to oranges. How do you like them apples? Cause the nectar of these oranges is oh so sweet

Mr Puggsly said:
I said it years ago...

Once Sony starts charging for online play, Playstation fans will suddenly be okay with the idea. As expected, now people just complain which is the better value.

That's not fair at all, mate!  The two services are worlds apart in value, quality, and business mentality.  

Xbox Live is a bait and switch sort of deal.  you buy the console only to find that, without Xbox Live, the console barely functions. 

PSN+ is nothing but value.  Free games, bonus shit, discounts, etc.  If you chose not to buy it, your console still can have access to all its features.  

I do not like that you have to pay for it if you want online, and I Feel it's kind of a dick move to newcomers, forcing them to buy into it.  That said, 'forcing' players into it doesn't seem right when you consider the fact that...well, it's just such a good deal.  "Buy this 50 dollar a year  service to get online play, but you also get free games and bonus features and discounts and more free games and stuff!"  That's like saying, "Hey, if you want this burger, the best deal is to pay for fries and a drink, but since you paid, we're also giving you upgrades to your fry and drink sizes, and giving you a bowl of chili and a baked potato too!"  You may not want the chili or baked potato, but a 5-course meal for the price of a 3-course meal is still a damn good deal! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Firstly I dont recall many complaining about paying for XBox Live, only pointing out PSN was better value for money as the online play was free, and if you wanted to sign up you got free games (good games).

The situation hasnt changed much, only now you have to pay for online multiplayer (on PS4 only its worth pointing out). Its still better value for money... but this could change in the future, and as both a PS4 and XBox One owner, I hope it does and Microsoft give away free games to a level equivalent as what you got on PSN.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Around the Network
Jega said:

Xbox Live was getting a little hate last gen for having to pay for it, while the PS3 was free to play online.

Many Xbox fans predicted that sony would change their tune after seeing how successful Microsoft was with the paid subscriptions.

PSN is no longer free.

Is PSN worth the price or was Playstation fans just upset that people were paying for live and not for PSN.

Mod edit: Took out the picture, feel free to replace it with an actual PSN picture.

Lol! You guys gotta love me!

Image courtesy of google images.

Why does nobody complain about Playstation Plus?    Because of ALL the free games you get.    I have literally filled up a 1TB Hard Drive on Playstation Plus games alone.    There's a bunch of free games.

To name a few:  Demon's Souls, Battlefield 3, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Pac Man Championship Edition DX, Galaga Championship Edition DX, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, Kingdoms of Amalur, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex:  Human Revolution, XCOM:  Enemy Unknown, Knytt Underground, Zombie Tycoon II, The Cave, Uncharted 3, Spec Ops The Line, Borderlands, Dungeon Defenders, Vanquish, Hamster Ball, All 5 Back to the Future Episodes, Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, Killzone 3 Multiplayer, Saints Row 2, Starhawk Single Player, Ratchet and Clank All For One, Sly Cooper, Super Stardust HD, LittlebigPlanet, Dead Nation, Two Worlds II GOTY, Retro City Rampage, LittleBigPlanet 2, inFAMOUS 2, Magic the Gathering Duels of the Plainswalkers, The Walking Dead a Telltale Games Series, BattleFantasia, Bloodrayne:  Betrayal, Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine, Stacking, Bomberman ULTRA, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, The Simpsons Arcade Game, Fatal Inertia EX, Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone, Hard Corps:  Uprising, Just Cause 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Sideway, Plants vs Zombies, NFL Blitz, Shank 2, Shift 2 Unleashed, The King of Fighters XIII, Rock of Ages, Trine 2, Far Cry 2, Outland, Payday:   The Heist, Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition, Bioshock 2, Rochard, Motorstorm RC, Poker Night 2, Choplifter HD, Darksiders, Saints Row The Third, Closure, LittleBigPlanet Karting, GRID 2, Ratchet and Clank All for One, Scott Pilgrim vs The World,Shatter, Oddworld:  Munch's Oddysee HD, Lead and Gold Gangs of the Wild West, all of Uncharted 2's DLC

Tekken 6, SoulCalibur Broken Destiny, GTA Liberty City Stories, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, Zero Escape:  Virtue's Last Reward, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention, Hero of Sparta, Tales From Space Mutant Blobs Attack, Soul Sacrifice, Knytt Underground, Hotline Miami, Age of Zombies, Astro Tripper, Bubble Trubble, Chronovolt, Fieldrunners, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Dynogems, Oddworld:  Stranger's Wrath, Farm Frenzy 2, Sine Mora, ibb and obb,

With all of these games, you could live off the Playstation Plus Games, get a decent catalogue, and spend $30 a year, if you are smart and buy year subscriptions on Black Friday.

Want any more reasons why people don't bitch?   Resogun, Contrast, a starter pack for Warframe.    I believe Playstation Plus paid for itself just on the PS4 alone.

Does Xbox even have 10% of the games listed as free compared to Playstation Plus?    There are probably 100 more things if I went deep into my 2505 downloads

http://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono

http://twitch.tv/HollywoodShono

http:/www.twitter.com/HollywoodShono

http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodShono

PSN:   BShornock, Wii U:  Hollywood_Shono, Xbox 360:  BShornock, Email:  bshornock@icloud.com, Steam:  BShornock

BMaker11 said:

If they just flat out said "we're charging for online", I'd be livid. If that's all it was that was behind a paywall, there'd be no complaining about which is the better value because for all intents and purposes, they'd be equivalent.

But as it stands, they are not equivalent. PS+ get's you instant game collection as well as free monthly games, early beta access, play as you download, discounted PSN content, full game trials (meaning you can play whatever aspects a game has for an hour, not a scripted "1 hour demo" where you can only do certain things), and then online MP.

XBL only gives you online MP. It's not an apples to apples comparison. It's apples to oranges. How do you like them apples? Cause the nectar of these oranges is oh so sweet

Its clear to me free games alone wasn't drawing the masses in. That's why they're now charging for online play. I'm sure you agree.

For the record, XBL has been doing discounted prices for Gold member for years. Now Gold member get free games, access to F2P games, etc. So there is more to XBL than just MP as well.

Anyhow, quit being so defensive. I was right, simple as that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Runa216 said:

That's not fair at all, mate!  The two services are worlds apart in value, quality, and business mentality.  

Xbox Live is a bait and switch sort of deal.  you buy the console only to find that, without Xbox Live, the console barely functions. 

PSN+ is nothing but value.  Free games, bonus shit, discounts, etc.  If you chose not to buy it, your console still can have access to all its features.  

Yeah, no bait and switch on PS4. All gamers are aware Sony now charages for online play. Sony spent a lot of money to make sure all gamers know multiplayer on PS4 is no longer free. Right?

Perhaps Sony should offer a cheaper subscription for those online looking to play games online!? Nah.. ofcourse Sony won't do that. They plan on making a majority of their profits on people simply looking to play online.

Once again, I was right. Back off Sony fans!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Why should I complain now? I already complained when it was announced, several months ago.

I don't like it, but atleast you get free games. It just sucks for me that I only play a few select games each gen usually. So I will likely never touch many of the games offered free cause they just don't interest me.