By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - HDMI coming to ALL 360s ... for a nominal fee ...

Here's the scoop ...

Mad Catz® Brings HDMI to All Xbox 360TM Owners

San Diego, Feb 13th, 2008

Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (AMEX/TSX: MCZ), a leading third-party interactive entertainment accessory provider announced today the release of the Xbox 360 HDMI Conversion Kit, a revolutionary new accessory designed to allow owners of the Xbox 360 console to connect directly to any standard HDMI input on their TV’s or displays and enjoy true High-Definition (HD) digital video and audio for gaming and movie playback.

The HDMI Conversion Kit connects easily and safely to the ‘AV Output’ located on the rear of the console and utilizing advanced microprocessor technology, converts the analogue signal to a digital HDMI stream, outputting all popular HD resolutions up to and including 1080p and compatible with the HDMI 1.3 standard.

Furthermore, the HDMI Conversion Kit has been engineered to carry full multi-channel Digital Audio (Dolby® Digital, DTS®) through the HDMI cable directly to compatible TV’s, eliminating the need for multiple video and audio connections. Should users wish to output digital audio to an alternative source, a separate Digital Audio Output has been built in to the device and using the Digital Optical Cable provided, offers users flexibility to connect however they choose. With all necessary cables needed supplied in the box, the HDMI Conversion Kit is a true ‘one-stop solution’ to an all digital experience.

Darren Richardson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz commented, “HDMI is widely recognized as the connection standard for the High-Definition age in which we live, delivering unsurpassed visual and audio quality. However, millions of Xbox 360 consoles are not equipped with an HDMI output and owners are unable to take advantage of the benefits an all digital connection provides. Mad Catz’ Xbox 360 HDMI Conversion Kit provides gamers with a digital video and audio solution that we believe will be embraced by owners of HD-TV’s and those who demand the best from their entertainment. With breakthrough, innovate products such as this, Mad Catz continues to demonstrate its commitment to enhancing all areas of gaming and we look forward to introducing Xbox 360 owners everywhere to the all digital revolution.”

Compatible with all Xbox 360 consoles not equipped with HDMI connectors; the HDMI Conversion Kit is expected to be available across United States in late January 2008 for an SRP of $89.99.

Around the Network

>Compatible with all Xbox 360 consoles not equipped with HDMI connectors; the HDMI Conversion Kit is expected to be available across United States in late January 2008 for an SRP of $89.99.

Wow, 90 bucks for an adaptor? That's the biggest rip-of since 360 Wifi adaptor, and 20GB harddrive, and $180 HD-DVD player after the format is dead...

well, come to think of it, it's not that outrages in Microsoft's eyes... nevermind then

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Do all 360s come with HDMI now, worldwide?

Ninety bucks? God, for all of that, if you have an older 360, you may as well upgrade to the newer 65 nm one, by buying the arcade, and keeping your same hard drive. and get the HDMI, and have it not break on you.

None of the old ones will be able to have 'true' HDMI, because they aren't capable of outputting digital video.

I'm guessing this adapter just converts RGB to something HDMI can use.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>Compatible with all Xbox 360 consoles not equipped with HDMI connectors; the HDMI Conversion Kit is expected to be available across United States in late January 2008 for an SRP of $89.99.

Wow, 90 bucks for an adaptor? That's the biggest rip-of since 360 Wifi adaptor, and 20GB harddrive, and $180 HD-DVD player after the format is dead...

well, come to think of it, it's not that outrages in Microsoft's eyes... nevermind then

Try reading the article, MS has nothing to do with the product.

And if it actually turns out to be good, I might give it a try just to get rid of some wires and allow more flexibility in how I hook up my receiver.

hmmmm.........i am good but thanks for trying

Yikes that's expensive for a darn adapter and yet another thing to add onto the 360. If there is one thing that Sony did right with the PS3 is that despite the higher price, it's all there (except for BC now o_0). Still, it's good if you have an extra HDMI port that you're not using. I use the HDMI port on our TV at my apartment for my PS3 while a 360 and our high definition cable box gets the two component cable inputs.

Also, since it's Madkatz, how long will it last? I have Gamestop branded component cables (compatible with PS3/360/Xbox) and I believe it's a Madkatz product, I've always wondered how long it'll last me.

I guess it's that expensive, because it needs to have a HDCP chip inside and those + license are costly, but it's quite a lot cheaper than the Y/Pb/Pr -> HDMI converters I saw (they start at $150 afaik).

@ lafiel,

Well then that's good news though it is still pricey on it's own.