By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do YOU think WiiU hasn't taken off?

Why is WiiU not succeeding?

Concept 40 20.83%

Games - Lack of 36 18.75%

Price 2 1.04%

Competition 8 4.17%

Marketing 33 17.19%

Games & Price 4 2.08%

Games & Competition 12 6.25%

Games & Marketing 49 25.52%

Price & Competition 4 2.08%

Price & Marketing 4 2.08%

Total:192

all of the above, that we've already talked about to death. but once again.

Tablet- doesnt resonate with people the way the Wiimote did. Not even close, only able to use one per console isnt doing any favors.

market. its too expensive for the Wiisports crowd, and it doesnt have alot of those games either, not that it makes a difference the games that are releasing in that vein arent doing good anyway. So im gonna say they left.

with the wiicrowd gone that leaves core gamers. The system was too expensive for what it offers, again the tablet just doesnt resonate, so essentially you're getting a slightly more powerful system against those most people already have. 3rd party is important for this crowd. The WIi U is missing out on PS360 multiplats some got cancelled Id hate to see what happens when 3rd parties ditch PS360 adn go full force with PS4/Xone, will Wii U evne get anything?

It has Ninty games but as much as the fans dont want to admit the franchises arent that big, not enough for it to do GC numbers on its own

Around the Network

It's been so long since a nintendo console had amazing 3rd party support (outside ubi, wb, activision, etc.) gamers that play for those games have solidified a commitment to Xbox and Playstation brands. The Wii brand lost a lot of it's base. Nintendo is amazing at bringing in new customers, they are not as good anymore at keeping them. Nintendo will have to (yet again) find a way to attract 5-10 year olds, and it's going to be harder than ever but they will succeed. Attracting the 18 year old is even harder. Games like killzone mercenary lets you stab a guy in the dick. Grand theft lets you bump uglies. Nintendo won't allow these kinds of experiences with out massive censorship. So immature kids are out of the question.

Finally, I believe ppl are closing their mind to potential fun it can bring. Understandably because graphics and 3Ps are all they can think about.

It's a bit (or a lot) of everything.

Concept: the main differentiator of the Wii U (the game pad) is not all that interesting.  Whenever I consider buying a Wii U it's only for the Nintendo exclusives... never for the concept.

Price: With the concept being uninteresting, and the quality of games not being higher than PS360, the price is too high.  Why would I want to pay another $300+ for the same tech I've been playing for 7 years?

Games: Wii U exclusives have taken their sweet time, and 3rd party support is gone due to the low uptake.  As a PS3/360/Wii/PS4 owner, the only games I'd want to own on Wii U are Nintendo's few exclusives (but see Price).

Competition: a) You don't have a PS3/60 in which case you should certainly get one of those insteaf of Wii U, or b) you do have a PS3/60 in which case you will not feel like Wii U is enough of an upgrade - and here is the PS4 which does give a great upgrade and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

My 8th gen collection

snyps said:
It's been so long since a nintendo console had amazing 3rd party support (outside ubi, wb, activision, etc.) gamers that play for those games have solidified a commitment to Xbox and Playstation brands. The Wii brand lost a lot of it's base. Nintendo is amazing at bringing in new customers, they are not as good anymore at keeping them. Nintendo will have to (yet again) find a way to attract 5-10 year olds, and it's going to be harder than ever but they will succeed. Attracting the 18 year old is even harder. Games like killzone mercenary lets you stab a guy in the dick. Grand theft lets you bump uglies. Nintendo won't allow these kinds of experiences with out massive censorship. So immature kids are out of the question.

Finally, I believe ppl are closing their mind to potential fun it can bring. Understandably because graphics all they can think about.

Oh man you don't sound salty at all ;)

"Woe is me"

Simple. There are three major problems:

First, terrible marketing (including the name).

Second, no internally developed 1st party games for a full seven months after launch. Inexcusable.

Third, and most importantly, no system selling launch game that proved the concept. Seriously, even the Wii would've had trouble selling the motion concept without Wii Sports at launch. When I can come up with better uses for gameplay with the gamepad than Nintendo has thus far, one has to wonder why the hell they'd champion this design.

Without these three critical detriments, things like "modest" power or being a bit pricey wouldn't have mattered.

Around the Network

The GP is trash. That's why.

Because the Wii U was a bad idea in general. Nintendo trying to appeal to all crowds, especially with a system that is still called Wii U and uses a tablet as a control, was never a good idea. They needed to make sure they kept up with the tradition of what they did with Wii. (Being Nintendo, not some company that lost its way.)

Look at the good side. At least the 3DS is doing well! Also, it was too soon. Too soon!

Few exclusives, poorly made multiplats

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

As others have said, the gamepad needs a redesign. With a redesign and a continuous flow of great games, it should do fine.

I suppose because all the children who bought the Wii grew up.

Nintendo was always more for the little kids.