By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thought experiment: The year is 2005, the GameCube is a failure, what should Nintendo's next console be like?

Soleron said:
the_dengle said:
Soleron said:

I'm not. They greenlit that studio to make Drive Club instead of Gran Turismo. They greenlit the studio to make Forza instead of Halo.

Right, the studio that works on Forza is obviously the same one who makes Halo.

Does it have artists and programmers? If yes, it can make Halo.

You're being a bit obtuse here. Resources are not freely transferable like that. Now Turn 10 or Evolution could be called upon to *help* with Halo or Gran Turismo if 343 or Polyphony were falling behind, much like how Retro Studios was drafted to help with Mario Kart 7 because it needed done in time for the holidays, or how staff from Monolith helped the endgame of Skyward Sword, but they can't just make a game from that franchise from the ground up. Quality has to be considered.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

When are you going to return to this thread Rol and explain how all of this was really to show we'd suck at being in charge?

Mr Khan said:

You're being a bit obtuse here. Resources are not freely transferable like that. Now Turn 10 or Evolution could be called upon to *help* with Halo or Gran Turismo if 343 or Polyphony were falling behind, much like how Retro Studios was drafted to help with Mario Kart 7 because it needed done in time for the holidays, or how staff from Monolith helped the endgame of Skyward Sword, but they can't just make a game from that franchise from the ground up. Quality has to be considered.

My actual point is that they could have scheduled an appropriate studio to make a game called Uncharted or Gran Turismo or Halo for the launch if it was important enough or they planned better. So maybe not Evolution making Uncharted. But it didn't need to be only Naughty Dog making it either.

I don't think many games are made from the ground up right now. I definitely think GT6 is made of mostly GT5 code. Sony ought to be able to transfer the assets around.

they should make a system like gamecube but have a different look so people dont think its a little kids system. oh and have a little better 3rd party support.

RolStoppable said:
JoeTheBro said:
When are you going to return to this thread Rol and explain how all of this was really to show we'd suck at being in charge?

The point of this thread is not to show how anyone would suck at being in charge in 2005. It's to highlight how much the people in 2013 suck; those people who suggest that Nintendo shall make a $400 console as the Wii U's successor, because Nintendo has to win back the hardcore or some other inane reasoning.

If everyone's honest, nobody would have suggested anything like the Wii back in 2005, because the idea is just too far out there. But in 2013 there is the benefit of hindsight. Deviating from the industry norm cannot be assumed to be suicidal for Nintendo, because there's clear proof to the contrary out there (the Wii). Meanwhile, Nintendo giving in to conventional wisdom ("Nintendo must fight over market share with the others.") has a clear pattern of declining sales. All four of those consoles (SNES, N64, GC, Wii U) share the same fate. The Wii U is especially damning, because it's coming off of Nintendo's all time high in home console sales, yet it picks up right where the GC left off.

Sure, there's no guarantee that deviating from the norm will be as successful as the Wii. But there is a guarantee that symmetrical competition with Sony and Microsoft will end in disaster.

I'm not sure how well the SNES part of your argument holds up; it's not that far behind the NES and had less time on the market if I'm not mistaken.  But that doesn't invalidate the thrust of your post by any means. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

The Wii was the right decision at the time.

They should have made a Wii HD in late 2009/early 2010 though. Kinda like the bump from Game Boy to Game Boy Color. Beefed up chipset, ability to run newer games like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Just Dance in 720p, better OS, more emphasis on digital download and indie games. 

This would've given the Wii the juice to finish stronger in the gen and perhaps topple the 120 million sold barrier at $99.99.  

And in fall 2012 should've released a full on next-gen Nintendo system (New NES) without the Wii branding (leave the Wii HD brand for budget gamers/party casuals) to take advantage of Sony/MS letting the generation run on for too long. Nintendo made a fortune off the Wii, unlike Sony/MS there was no reason for them to prolong the generation, as they'd made a return on their investment, many, many, many times over.

RolStoppable said:
Final-Fan said:

I'm not sure how well the SNES part of your argument holds up; it's not that far behind the NES and had less time on the market if I'm not mistaken.  But that doesn't invalidate the thrust of your post by any means. 

And the N64 had less time on the market than the SNES and isn't that far behind it (NES vs. SNES difference: ~12m; SNES vs. N64: ~17m). And the NES had to sell to a cold market (meaning it had to establish a market) while the SNES didn't face that obstacle.

But the most important thing for the current state of the video game market is that the SNES had locked the majority of Japanese third party support (and it was exclusive), thus preventing competitors from rising in Japan and in turn boosting the SNES's sales. Nintendo is not going to have such an advantage again.

If you mean that the N64 launched well after the PS1 was eating up that gen's market, didn't the SNES launch in competition with the Genesis? That system predated it by some time. Or do you refer to the Wii's loss of momentum before the Wii U's release?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!