By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thought experiment: The year is 2005, the GameCube is a failure, what should Nintendo's next console be like?

the_dengle said:
Soleron said:

No, Pikmin was definitely the most important game made. Why else would it be such a high priority for the 8th gen?

Second Son is coming out before Uncharted 4; does that mean Sony considers inFamous more important and a higher priority than Uncharted?

Yes

Around the Network
Soleron said:
the_dengle said:

Second Son is coming out before Uncharted 4; does that mean Sony considers inFamous more important and a higher priority than Uncharted?

Yes

Good to see they have a good head on their shoulders then, inFamous is clearly the stronger franchise.

By the way, it's 2005, inFamous and Uncharted don't exist, and the 8th gen is far away so we certainly don't know whether or not it will see a Pikmin release.

the_dengle said:
Soleron said:
the_dengle said:

Yes

Good to see they have a good head on their shoulders then, inFamous is clearly the stronger franchise.

By the way, it's 2005, inFamous and Uncharted don't exist, and the 8th gen is far away so we certainly don't know whether or not it will see a Pikmin release.

1. Either infamous is a higher priority for release now, or Sony are irrational. Pick one.

2. Miyamoto can call Pikmin games into existence that weren't even planned simply by announcing it at a roundtable. Simply make that roundtable 2005.

Soleron said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soleron said:

Bring back that scrapped embedded screen idea for the Gamecube controller. Take advantage of high definition capable graphics cards.

Launch the system with a a (simultaneous) release of New Super Mario Bros for DS and the new system alongside an updated Wind Waker the next year. Follow up with the Gamecube's biggest smash hit: Pikmin.

I think u mean metroid prime :P

No, Pikmin was definitely the most important game made. Why else would it be such a high priority for the 8th gen?

Well because Metroid games take a long ass time to make and Nintendo wanted Retro to quickly make a DK game to offset the drought.

Soleron said:

1. Either infamous is a higher priority for release now, or Sony are irrational. Pick one.

2. Miyamoto can call Pikmin games into existence that weren't even planned simply by announcing it at a roundtable. Simply make that roundtable 2005.

Right, and Forza is a higher priority for release than Halo, and Drive Club is higher priority than Gran Turismo.

Games release when they're ready. No console's release chronology was ever sorted by priority, and the fact that Pikmin released before Mario Kart doesn't mean it was a higher priority for Nintendo -- it means it was finished sooner. And of course it was finished sooner, it started development as a Wii game in like 2008.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Soleron said:

Right, and Forza is a higher priority for release than Halo, and Drive Club is higher priority than Gran Turismo.

They are.

Games release when they're ready. No console's release chronology was ever sorted by priority, and the fact that Pikmin released before Mario Kart doesn't mean it was a higher priority for Nintendo -- it means it was finished sooner. And of course it was finished sooner, it started development as a Wii game in like 2008.

That's a failure of planning, then. They should have Uncharted 4 now and GT6 available for PS4 within the year, no reason not to.

Well, that's a pretty stupid question honestly. What changes COULD be made, really? In 2005 the Wii was revealed, and Nintendo had worked on that concept for quite some time. There wasn't enough time to make it HD, or to make a different system altogether. Nintendo had already made their bed for the next gen then with the Wii.

What they should have done (imo) for the 7th gen is the the Wii, only make it HD - even if it's the weakest console of the gen, it would still have gotten most multiplats. Make a hardcore bundle already from launch with a Pro Controller and Zelda. Nintendo should have invested in more studios; mainly western and expand Retro. This should have been done during the GC days, so that new IP's were ready from the get go and and keeped coming. Nintendo also should have made exclusive deals with 3rd parties before the launch of Wii.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I really liked the revolution name, they should have stuck with that. I hated the Wii name in the beginning but it has grown on me. What would I have done if it were 2005? I would have included regular controllers, given the revolution (Wii) some HD capability, and DVD playback. That would have brought in all the hardcore gamers as well as casual gamers. They might have done PS2 numbers in terms of sales with all that.

Dmick90 said:
I hated the Wii name in the beginning

Pretty much everyone did. Reggie made a remark on that at E3 2006 I think. "First, I want to thank the people that liked the name "Wii" when they first heard it. Yes, both of you." He then went on to explain that it will all make sense when you start playing on the system and all that PR stuff.

@Topic: I would have done what Nintendo actually did: Trying to make the new console as different from the GameCube as possible, approachwise. If one approach doesn't work out, you should not senselessly repeat that approach. That won't lead you anywhere.

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

S.Peelman said:
I'd do pretty much the opposite of what the GameCube was.

Mainly because the GameCube was utterly disappointing as a console with just a small handful of games that were actually worth it. Even ignoring the low sales it got, undoubtedly because it was so disappointing. Basically, Nintendo did just that with the Wii and it payed off, not that the Wii was perfect though.