By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thought experiment: The year is 2005, the GameCube is a failure, what should Nintendo's next console be like?

Well obviously they need to stop making kiddy games like Mario Kart and focus on making really mature games like more Metroid Prime. If their next console is as powerful or moreso than the PS3 and 360, it'll be a smashing success.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

Bring back that scrapped embedded screen idea for the Gamecube controller. Take advantage of high definition capable graphics cards.

Launch the system with a a (simultaneous) release of New Super Mario Bros for DS and the new system alongside an updated Wind Waker the next year. Follow up with the Gamecube's biggest smash hit: Pikmin.

I think u mean metroid prime :P

Give up on gaming and go back to making love hotels.

Next console ? Easy to develop for and balanced in terms of Price/Power. Adult design for Controller and Console. Free Devkits for 3rd party. Nintendo should put its Handheld gains into moneyhatting 3rd party while offering their unique nintendo games at the same time.

the-pi-guy said:

Well, yeah.  But there is no such thing as a Wii right now, seeing as it is 2005.  So therefore we can't have something that is like the Wii.  We can't have something that is like something that doesn't exist [yet] and unknown.  

but they just announced it at E3 or did you miss it? though we still don't know what the controller will look like. I'm hoping for VR like the "On" video. well not like it as the helmet is huge. something small and light

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Well the gamecube had lots of power, small game sizes, ok third party support, a childish look, a great price, and no non game features.

At the time I would have assumed the PS3 was going to continue the success of the PS2.

Can't compeate head on with that, so a different strategy is needed. I'd have made two systems. Release a wii like system asap that is super casual and cheap, while in a few years releasing a "big boy" system that could do better graphics than PS3 and focus to the core. First party games would come to both systems.

i would ductape 2 cubes together

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I wouldn't change anything. Wii made them a ton of money.

Wii U Pro controller standard, DVD Quad-layered officially supported as a storage medium, 40GB 2.5 SATA HDD and full component support for 720p resolutions natively I guess.

There is one more thing, although I shouldn't really have to say it.

gigantor21 said:
They need to cut the shit and stop using random proprietary media, and just use DVDs or Blu-rays instead--full-sized ones, not that mini-disc. 

Technically the Wii did use standard size DVDs with DVD9 (8.54GB) support.  In fact the biggest Wii games (Smash Bros, Xenoblade, Last Story..) were bigger than the biggest single disc XBOX 360 games due to X360 discs reserving 1GB of space for security. - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/1gb-dvd-xbox-halo-reach,news-10693.html