By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft seeing Xbox shortages in U.S.

I wonder whether Microsoft expected greater demand for the Halo Edition and Elite XBox 360s, and if they have a short supply of premium console because they (like Sony) are moving towards a 45nm process for their system; hypothetically speaking, they could have been aiming to release a 45nm XBox 360 (and reduce the price of the system) a few weeks before the release of GTA4.

Around the Network
jman8 said:
I'll post what I posted in another thread:

I actually think the 360 is somewhat supply constrained, but only the Premium model (is that what they're still calling it?). Everywhere I go, I only see Arcades and Halo models. MS doesn't have a problem supplying systems. They're problem is that over the last few months they've been pushing retailers to take on stock of a bullshit system that no one wants, aka the Halo 360.

Now the retailers are stuck with a system that's in greater supply and less popular than the PS3 and they don't want to take on any more 360 stock, even if it is the popular Premium model. This is partly why retailers seem to love the 360; they have so many systems in stock that they have to promote the hell out of the systems. It has always been MS's strategy to flood the market. They did it Christmas 2006 and they were able to trick retail outlets again this past Christmas with that Halo model.

I think the Halo Edition 360 was a very stupid move.  They could have just taken a premium and included a special edition halo 3 faceplate along with the normal premium faceplate, the actual halo 3 game, and 3 months of Xbox Live Gold.  Instead they have a Halo Edition 360 that doesn't even include the game and has a design that a lot of people don't like.

@crazzyman only you would see a shortage as a lack of confidence in a product, you must be from universe B [the inverse of the one we live in] or something.

LOL! They think calling it "Supply constrained" will make it sell more...lol

I see them all the time, the only one I rarely ever see is the Elite.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Shortages are a funny thing they are not universal. Not only do tastes differ regionally, but so do shopping patterns. I have seen 360 shortages over the past few months, and I have seen Wii consoles sit on shelves for a few days. You can't necessarily go off of what you see in your neck of the woods. Where you live might not be indicative of the whole. Instead it depends on your regional supply, and more specifically a stores supply.

I would believe him, because of what the sales on this very site tell me. Last year at this same time the 360 sold thirty thousand less units. Had Microsoft used last year as a metric for what they needed this year. Then a couple months of under supplying the market will get you shortages. Every console in fact has seen a dramatic improvement in sales year to year.

I think even with their better then expected performance during the latter half of last year Microsoft logically thought sales would slump until spring. I wouldn't call it stupid paying attention to precedent isn't stupid. We all do it day from day.

Around the Network

sadly.. i doubt this "shortage" will last as M$ has the production factories to increase the amount they can produce versus last year.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Legend11 said:
jman8 said:
I'll post what I posted in another thread:

I actually think the 360 is somewhat supply constrained, but only the Premium model (is that what they're still calling it?). Everywhere I go, I only see Arcades and Halo models. MS doesn't have a problem supplying systems. They're problem is that over the last few months they've been pushing retailers to take on stock of a bullshit system that no one wants, aka the Halo 360.

Now the retailers are stuck with a system that's in greater supply and less popular than the PS3 and they don't want to take on any more 360 stock, even if it is the popular Premium model. This is partly why retailers seem to love the 360; they have so many systems in stock that they have to promote the hell out of the systems. It has always been MS's strategy to flood the market. They did it Christmas 2006 and they were able to trick retail outlets again this past Christmas with that Halo model.

I think the Halo Edition 360 was a very stupid move. They could have just taken a premium and included a special edition halo 3 faceplate along with the normal premium faceplate, the actual halo 3 game, and 3 months of Xbox Live Gold. Instead they have a Halo Edition 360 that doesn't even include the game and has a design that a lot of people don't like.

+1

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

^ +2

It's nice to see someplace where Legend11 and I can see eye to eye.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Typical Microsoft FUD. Anyone with functioning optic nerves can walk into any electronics store and see for themselves that the only truly supply-constrained console remains the Wii.

I see they saw what the whole "supply constrained" talk can do for a console. And shortages in America? What the hell, where are these consoles going, Japan?