By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo fans, get in here to apologize for deriding New Super Mario Bros. U

gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

it's not the wiiu fault. core gamers have left the wii and moved to 360/ps3, every big third party game has established a home base on the xbox/playstation brand, they basically missed out on an entire 7th gen of third party games and online gaming. and the console market biggest franchises and best sellers are third party games and online games. the nintendo console market has been in decline for a long time. the wii was just very succesful fad that over now, nintendo goes back into its declining market share on console.

No, it wasn't. It had a normal console lifespan. A fad would have been if it fizzled out in 2009.

regardless if you think it was a fad or not, nobody really cares about motion controls a anymore,  not even nintendo, and thats what sold the wii imo.

Both Xbox One and Wii U incorporate motion controls.

Around the Network

Respect to Rol for being one of the few Nintendo fans on this site to realize that the Wii U is the problem, not its games or lack of them. Just like with Sonys Vita there is really only a very limited appeal to the Wii U and Nintendo fans need to start realizing that they will most likely be stuck in third place for this generation. No Nintendo game will change that, not Mario Kart, not Smash Bros, not Zelda U. Those games will sell well and will also sell consoles, but they will only sell to the Nintendo fans and that audience is just not nearly as big as the number of people that will buy a Playstation or Xbox simply cause they offer alot more features, developer support and also power.

Well i guess i don't have to apologize. 2D Mario games have sold Nintendo consoles to me. Bought DS along with NSMDS, Wii U with NSMBU & will pick up NSMB2 along with 2DS/3DS when i get one. The red Wii version was also the closest i got to consider the console.

The other topic about Wii U performing pretty bad is true. First we were thinking 50-60 million sales for Wii U and now i am thinking even 30 million might be hard.

forest-spirit said:
JGarret said:

So, they must once again look at the NES and Wii and understand why those consoles were so successful...or I wonder if they do understand but want to, let´s say, force some other 'philosophies' on customers in hopes they´ll accept them.

That, and they also need to realise that they're on their own; getting 3rd party support should be considered a bonus, not a requirement for their consoles to be successful. HW must be designed for 1st party titles first and foremost because those will be what makes or breaks the system.

Nintendo made a big mistake when they didn't use the DS/Wii profits to heavily invest in 1st and 2nd party studios. Instead they had to rely on 3rd party scraps and they had to delay games because of a lack of resources. They have also missed the opportunity to support mid-tier games when pretty much every other company began to reject them. While mid-tier games may not sell systems on their own they're nice to have inbetween big releases to avoid droughts.

this. nintendo need to make themselves as self sufficient as  possible.

I don't think I ever blamed NSMBU for Wii U's performance but I did wait 'til late July before getting it so I'll apologise for that.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
JGarret said:

So, they must once again look at the NES and Wii and understand why those consoles were so successful...or I wonder if they do understand but want to, let´s say, force some other 'philosophies' on customers in hopes they´ll accept them.

That, and they also need to realise that they're on their own; getting 3rd party support should be considered a bonus, not a requirement for their consoles to be successful. HW must be designed for 1st party titles first and foremost because those will be what makes or breaks the system.

Nintendo made a big mistake when they didn't use the DS/Wii profits to heavily invest in 1st and 2nd party studios. Instead they had to rely on 3rd party scraps and they had to delay games because of a lack of resources. They have also missed the opportunity to support mid-tier games when pretty much every other company began to reject them. While mid-tier games may not sell systems on their own they're nice to have inbetween big releases to avoid droughts.

100% agreed! Hopefully they'll do this next gen!

The day when the new zelda comes out for the wii-u is the day I buy myself a wii-u. But only if they stick with that art style we saw with the tech demo.
I really don't want to be playing another zelda with visuals like skyward sword or windwaker. I loved those art styles, but I want another realistic one again.

Japan sales are not the key factor, US sales are.

roborad said:
The day when the new zelda comes out for the wii-u is the day I buy myself a wii-u. But only if they stick with that art style we saw with the tech demo.
I really don't want to be playing another zelda with visuals like skyward sword or windwaker. I loved those art styles, but I want another realistic one again.

Zelda had never a realistic artstyle, never.....

RolStoppable said:
gmcmen said:

i find this very funny, especially about nintendo looking tot he wii, you guys think its that easy to come with something like that, that kinda of thing happens once in a lifetime, its not easy to reproduce, they tried with the wiiu, the gamepad could have been the next big thing but it wasn't thats just how these thing usually play out, i'm sure nintendo would to make something successful like the montions conrols device on the wii buts its just not that easy.

Nintendo already pulled it off twice, so saying that such things happen once in a lifetime is uninformed. Besides, the Wii's success isn't defined by its controller alone, just like the NES's success wasn't.

Also, with Sony, Microsoft and third parties all pushing into a direction that could be summed up as "dudebro gaming", it is actually easier for Nintendo to offer a successful alternative. Gaming is much broader than M-rating, licensed sports games and racers, so it's not like there's nowhere to go for Nintendo.

nes was just the first traditional console,  it happened over 30 years ago so ok don't really count that asking Nintendo to come up something ground breaking in 2016-2017 is a tall order imo.