By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Some Thinking

Nintendo as you know has a long history, you have to understand that to understand Nintendo, the problem here is that some people are condemning Wii when it has no reason to be condemned, who are the real detractors? Easy the developers.

Nintendo has done only what is has done the last 15 years innovate. Every major concept we have in modern videogaming is due to Nintendo, just check that Xbox and PS3 controller, they look awfully alike to a 90's controller of a 16 bit console. And that analogue joystick they have, wow that was a great Idea, then again look back to another console that made Mario move freely on 3D.

They current formula is not that different of what they have been doing, just that now this formula was something no one was hoping for, and guess what? it succeded, it is true, there are lots of crappy videogames for Wii, yet, Nintendo games are by far the same or more quality they have always had, all their big names are standing their ground firmly, Twilight, Galaxy and Smash are at least equal to their predeccesors and I can easily say Smash is far superior. So, Nintendo is doing its work.

Now, we have another important element, and that is the 3rd parties, while some are indeed doing great games, like Capcom, No more heroes is a fair example. others are indeed just developing games to see if they hit gold with this minigame fever the Wii created. Right now Im game testing DecaSports for Wii, developed by Hudson, and believe me, is more of the same. So, at the end we need big games in the wii, we need a FF, a Devil May Cry, its not a matter of graph power, wich is a great boost in the scores by the way, its a matter of imagination, how to make a game appealing without photorealistic graphics, nintendo knows the answer, and has prove it over and over, Developers are just lazy, and as everything in this world they depend on image rather than substance to create succes, I have played Halo, COD, Gears of Wars, and while yes they are by far best looking games than Mario, they really dont offer anything new to gaming itself, everyone is still depending on Nintendo to take the risks. To make a sudden turn and see if it succeeds, other wise, why is there a Viva Pinata if Microsoft is not in casual gamers.

So at the end the real question is, are you willing to sacrifice great looking games for the best games in history?It is not an easy answer, I myself don't know, I've followed Nntendo so far, and I've felt tempted by some great looking games out there, but I'm willing to wait a little bit more, because, every now and then Nintendo release a game that made your waiting worthwhile so called Zelda, Mario or Smash.

Imagination my friends is the source of gaming, we dont need to recreate world war 2 a thousand times or with futuristic weapons to succed, we have to create galaxies, turn ourselves in to beasts, and in a bold move  merge all our worlds together for them to fight along.

Thank You

Around the Network

Your very welcome.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Well while I wouldn't agree that Nintendo has pioneered the modern age of gaming, I'll certainly say they've helped. They are in fact due much credit, but they aren't exactly overlooked. In fact, Nintendo has the most loyal user fanbase I've ever seen. The software sales prove this, as does talking to any genuine "Nintendo Fanboy". I know so many people that have owned anything with "Nintendo" slapped on it :P but not un-rightfully so! If your a fan of their product, they will not dissapoint :)

I'd only say, attempt to get the most hardcore of Nintendo fans to open their wallets for some 3rd party developers every once in a while, there is a good world outside!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

uh can't you get fired for the deca sports part >.>

Why, I just say Im test gaming and Im a freelancer, I dont work for hudson Saying is crapy is far from giving inside information.

Around the Network
leonoel said:

Nintendo has done only what is has done the last 15 years innovate. Every major concept we have in modern videogaming is due to Nintendo, just check that Xbox and PS3 controller, they look awfully alike to a 90's controller of a 16 bit console. And that analogue joystick they have, wow that was a great Idea, then again look back to another console that made Mario move freely on 3D.

WRONG.  There have been many other innovations brought by other companies with their consoles.  Sony for example brought the memory card, disc based media, backwards compatibility, playing music cds, and playing movie dvds on console.  Microsoft on the other hand has blazed a path for online that others are only now copying.  Connecting to your PC's media, downloadable content, downloadable demos, Xbox Live Arcade, achievements, gamertag, downloadable movies and tv shows, cross game voice chat, the first console with a built in harddrive, etc.

Legend11 said:
leonoel said:

WRONG.  There have been many other innovations brought by other companies with their consoles.  Sony for example brought the memory card, disc based media, backwards compatibility, playing music cds, and playing movie dvds on console.  Microsoft on the other hand has blazed a path for online that others are only now copying.  Connecting to your PC's media, downloadable content, downloadable demos, Xbox Live Arcade, achievements, gamertag, downloadable movies and tv shows, cross game voice chat, the first console with a built in harddrive, etc.

There was disc based media way before sony. Most of the stuff you said didn't inovate gameplay rather added extra features.

>Now, we have another important element, and that is the 3rd parties, while some are indeed doing great games, like Capcom, No more heroes is a fair example.

I agree, NMH is a great example, but it's too far in between, and terribly outweighted by Chicken Shoot-like games.

What I think Nintendo should do is bring back "Seals of Approval". Give bonus (ads money, so on) to games that deserve it.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I never recalled saying that nintendo was the ONLY one innovating, I just said that lots of innovations, and pretty much the way we play is due to them.

I may be wrong but sega was one of the first ones to used Disc based media, and on backward compatibility, I know it is not exacly the same, but I do recall a little device called Super Game Boy, which allowed to play ALL game boy games on the Super Nes, ages before PS2 and backward compatibility.

You have to know the history otherwise, you will be easily amazed, Online gaming and online stuff has been there way before microsoft, the SuperNes itself had the satellaView, which had a lot of features Microsoft calls so Innovative.

Learn a little bit, and the give your opinions

@Legend -- many of what you described came elsewhere --

From Sony.

Memory card -- yes, though Sega Saturn had external memory too.
Disc based media -- Nintendo Famicom Disk. (CD medium included CDI and Sega CD).
Backwards compatibility -- Atari 7800, Atari and Sega through add-ons. (In the classic era, Mattel and Coleco even brought out add-ons that let you play another system's games on your system).
Playing music cds -- Sega CD.
Playing movie dvds on console -- Yes, though others (3DO perhaps) played VCDs.

Microsoft's list is spot-on though.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV