By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For you who think next gen graphics suck...

gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

I just went on youtube and watched metroid prime running 1080p on dolphin, and it looked like a N64 game, FPS just haven't aged well from that era.

If you can't tell the difference between a GCN game and an N64 game, I don't think we're going to be able to have a useful discussion.

well i watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvNvwTIIr8 i can tell the differnce of course but that's how out dated it looks to me.

well, its been a whole generation and wii was like 2x gamecube with some new added features to handle hdr and other stuff to make it look a bit better

and well of course the extra 1tsram and gddr3

but kind of like games like darkside chronicles on dolphin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZZFcWECMs

i have also read that tvs with hqv realta are great for upscaling, they even say it looks near hd when they play 480p dvds or even wi games from 480p to 720p or 1080p

the hqv realta is not a common processor like those that presume that can upscale sd to hd and cost you about 50 dollar

no, geffen with hqv realta or the cypress cost around 400 dollar

and well, the hqv reqalta is 10 bit and not 8 bit like most upscaler processors, and does a 1024 tap per pixel while common upscalers only do 8 or 16

so, if anyone is gonna buy a new tv and has concerns on upscaling, make sure it packs either the hqv realta or the new hqv vida

seems some olevia tvs pack these processors

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Damian.W said:
No, graphical leaps won't be as big this time around.

Claim it as much as you would like, the X1 and PS4 are using PC parts, with a bit of "supercharging" using the consoles drivers. Developers already know how to utilize the consoles parts, whereas the last gen features less than 1gb of RAM to use, the 360's slow CPU, and the PS3's weaker GPU, foreign CELL CPU, and split RAM, which resulted in a need for heavy optimization.

Not only where each individual consoles difficult to program and optimize, but they shared different architectures from each other, so it took time for games to become playable on the other (ps3 mainly)

So games will still look gorgeous this gen, with those new GPU's. However, the simplicity and similarity of the parts means that games like Killzone, Infamous, Ryze, and Dead Rising are going to be the bases of how this gens games will look.

The only console that will have visual improvement over time is the Wii U, due to it's different approach and need for optimization; though even at it's best, the games won't look as good as the X1 and PS4 unless it's 1st party.

Hum. What about no?

The reason why developers need to optimize that much on consoles is because of their "closed" nature.  The consoles are set in stone from the day they're released. The developers need to develop methods to make the best out of the hardware in order to make their games look more attractive than what came before. Not only that, but you also have the PC platform that is not set in stone, for which many third party developers (and some first parties) create games for.

You have Crytek, for example, developing new engines and tricks to make use of the always inscreasing horsepower of the PC architecture. But what happens when they want to make those PC games available on consoles? Yes, they tone a lof ot the aspects down, but they develop tricks, methods and optimization to make the game look as close to the PC version as possible.

This will not change just because the newly released console are now x86. -__-

Your arguments don't make any sense. 

You're missing the point. I'm not saying there WON'T be any graphical improvements, just not any massive ones over time. Again with the other consoles, which had BELOW 512MB to use, they required heavy levels of optmizing and engine-remakes to fully utulize. This gen doesn't feature any compllications, and instead allows for developers to untilize the hardware quickly.

Maybe I'm just terrible at explaining. Imagine developing a game is like riding a hill on a bike. The past generation was the equivellent of a standard bike with a small frame and crazy phyicial design. To be able to use it, people would need to take the frame and make the most of it by adding things such as different gears and changing the equipment to keep the bike form falling apart. Over time, the bike gains performance as more time is spent on improving it. 

A current gen console is like a mountain bike, with all the lights, gear, helmets, etc, already on it. There is little to improve on the frame, since it gets the job done already. They might add things such as lighter materials and paint jobs to make it look nice and perform a small amount better, but the changes aren't as drastic as equipping a basic bike with the latest in gear.

Now excuse me, I need to go to a corner and think about what I'm doing with my life by typing essays to random people on the internet. 

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

Mensrea said:

Next gen graphics don't suck. :)

Wii U might be a next gen console, but it displays current gen graphics.

Don't judge launch ps4 and x1 games .the games will look 100 times better in 2 years

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

007BondAgent said:
Mensrea said:

Next gen graphics don't suck. :)

Wii U might be a next gen console, but it displays current gen graphics.

Thats ok with me as long as it can do sonic generations graphics at 60fps, i will be very happy, thats more then enough for nintendo exclusives. but what worries, is if nintedno actually didn't make a console powerful enough to run it at 60fps, looking at sonic lost world sega removed tons of shaders and geometery, to get it running at 60 fps and mario 3d world looks to use the same style.

Around the Network

killzone Shadow Fall Looks amazing!

Damian.W said:

You're missing the point. I'm not saying there WON'T be any graphical improvements, just not any massive ones over time. Again with the other consoles, which had BELOW 512MB to use, they required heavy levels of optmizing and engine-remakes to fully utulize. This gen doesn't feature any compllications, and instead allows for developers to untilize the hardware quickly.

Maybe I'm just terrible at explaining. Imagine developing a game is like riding a hill on a bike. The past generation was the equivellent of a standard bike with a small frame and crazy phyicial design. To be able to use it, people would need to take the frame and make the most of it by adding things such as different gears and changing the equipment to keep the bike form falling apart. Over time, the bike gains performance as more time is spent on improving it. 

A current gen console is like a mountain bike, with all the lights, gear, helmets, etc, already on it. There is little to improve on the frame, since it gets the job done already. They might add things such as lighter materials and paint jobs to make it look nice and perform a small amount better, but the changes aren't as drastic as equipping a basic bike with the latest in gear.

Now excuse me, I need to go to a corner and think about what I'm doing with my life by typing essays to random people on the internet. 

You call that an essay?   xD

Your lot have been regurgitating the same idiocy at the start of every console generation since the N64. -__-

It was nonsense back then. It's still nonsense. You think we're already at the point of diminishing return?

Tell me where are my Avatar calibre graphics?

gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

I just went on youtube and watched metroid prime running 1080p on dolphin, and it looked like a N64 game, FPS just haven't aged well from that era.

If you can't tell the difference between a GCN game and an N64 game, I don't think we're going to be able to have a useful discussion.

well i watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvNvwTIIr8 i can tell the differnce of course but that's how out dated it looks to me.

For you perhaps, to others aesthetics can transcend tech.

Here's a better one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5OEx6bf-i0

megafenix said:

yea, art style counts a lot too

If you're talking art style on Wii U, you can't overlook this:

curl-6 said:

If you're talking art style on Wii U, you can't overlook this:

Yoshi's yarn looks so good.

However it can't touch this: