By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. Forza Motorsport 5

Tagged games:

allblue said:
Too_Talls said:
allblue said:
kirby007 said:
waiting for your response hurhurhur

Who are you talking to? Still waiting for your answer on the visual downgrade. 

Hold on for a sec I might be missing something...but is Kirby a developer of F5? if not I think such a question cannot realistically be answered, yet you have been asking for almost 10 pages.....

But if he is a dev an answer would be nice. If not your baiting something..........but what O_o?

Well just as xbox fans are capable of meriting x1's capabilities, I thought they would be able to give me a rational answer to the downgrades.

Kirby is more than capable of answering as it is evident from the post above. Apparently it was the cloud. :)

Console war inspired I see. Why do people have to justify what they want to have to you though?

It's stronger than the 360, that justifies an upgrade.

and as terible as forza's graphics apparently are, on the xbox one it looks far better than the other platforms versions.....

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:
allblue said:
Too_Talls said:
allblue said:

Well just as xbox fans are capable of meriting x1's capabilities, I thought they would be able to give me a rational answer to the downgrades.

Kirby is more than capable of answering as it is evident from the post above. Apparently it was the cloud. :)

Console war inspired I see. Why do people have to justify what they want to have to you though?

It's stronger than the 360, that justifies an upgrade.

and as terible as forza's graphics apparently are, on the xbox one it looks far better than the other platforms versions.....

Actually I just want people to drop the act and stop claiming the power that isn't there, around the E3 xbox fans have acted (some even claimed) as thought the E3 build was going to be the final product and that it properly reflected what x1 is capable of. 

Before, "This is next gen, this is the power inside x1" "the most ambitious console ever" "the true and only next gen console" "the best looking launch game" "completely blew competition out of the water".

Now, "Who cares about graphics, gameplay and AI are all the matter." 

I kept asking because people were dodging my question. 

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

allblue said:

Actually I just want people to drop the act and stop claiming the power that isn't there, around the E3 xbox fans have acted (some even claimed) as thought the E3 build was going to be the final product and that it properly reflected what x1 is capable of. 

Before, "This is next gen, this is the power inside x1" "the most ambitious console ever" "the true and only next gen console" "the best looking launch game" "completely blew competition out of the water".

So are you taking this game to be the final verdict on the overall capabilities of the console?

Too_Talls said:
allblue said:

So are you taking this game to be the final verdict on the overall capabilities of the console?

I'm more reasonable than the verdict of x1 fans around the time of E3 who claimed this game to showcase x1's power. As of now, x1 hasn't proven to be as powerful as its fans are claiming, what its theoractically capable of, what if cloud, when in the future etc are not relevant at this point in time. 

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

pezus said:
J_Allard said:
ethomaz said:

Forza Motorsport 5: the Digital Foundry verdict

On balance, Turn 10's first effort on Xbox One is impressive for what it sets out to achieve in its 1080p60 presentation, but the raised resolution proves to be something of a Pandora's Box. As ever, the studio's exceptional car detailing steals the show in its authenticity, now bolstered by the materials texturing that sits well with the increased pixel-count. However, it's around this that Forza 5's shortcomings become apparent; now we see the lacklustre texture filtering, the pixellated foliage, and even the cut-out spectator sprite-work that line the road-sides. The game's improved lighting effects and motion blur go some way to obscure such issues during the core racing experience, but in tandem with the halved track and car count, it does seem to suggest a developer pressed to release an end product to a brutal launch window schedule.

It's also disappointing that, despite the supreme full HD presentation, Forza 5 offers anti-aliasing that delivers little to no effect on foliage or cars. Stair-stepping can be rough in spots, especially in cockpit view, and given the processing muscle-power needed to push out this resolution, it makes for a surprising contrast with a more thoroughly treated - if performance limited - 900p game like Ryse.

With that being said, much of this only considers the surface experience, and we're pleased to find Forza 5's handling model continues to impress in its next-gen form. By building on well-forged relationships with like the likes of Pirelli, from whom test data continues to be sourced and entered into the game engine, Turn 10's work continues to improve a simulation that few besides Polyphony Digital are ready to match in the console scene. At its core, the racing mechanics remain fun and satisfying with a controller in hand, even if the gloss over the top can underwhelm.

In review, while the bedrock racing experience is as solid as ever, this can be seen as a stepping stone towards a final product that has yet to arrive; a work in progress if you like. Even compared to the build seen at E3 just a few months ago, differences in bloom, optimised LOD streaming and the remixing of each circuit's surrounding décor are apparent. But in its current form, although Forza 5 falls short in terms of overall polish, it sets a precedent for next-gen racing simulations by virtue of simply planting the flag in the soil first.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-23-digital-foundry-vs-forza-motorsport-5

Oh man sounds incredible, can't wait to play it. I am buying used though, can't support their DLC shenanigans.

Selective reading? This is the full last sentence: it sets a precedent for next-gen racing simulations by virtue of simply planting the flag in the soil first.

Doesn't sound very flattering

So he can't look forward to a game because it doesn't have a flattering review from DF?

I expected better fom you. This site is ridiculous. Seriously... look at you all... jumping on all this bad news? Did we during the PS4 failures? No. FFS, give us a break...

Around the Network
allblue said:
Too_Talls said:
allblue said:

I'm more reasonable than the verdict of x1 fans around the time of E3 who claimed this game to showcase x1's power. As of now, x1 hasn't proven to be as powerful as its fans are claiming, what its theoractically capable of, what if cloud, when in the future etc are not relevant at this point in time. 

When you use the phrase "system's capabilities" the future is always relevant. It's related to the word potential that references future improved performance.

And even if forza looked like it did at E3 would that really change what we have seen from the xbox one so far. I think everyone's opinion that build still isn't as visually impressive as ryse is. Granted they are different kinds of games.

Personally as far as racers are concerned what I have seen from drive club is the most impressive but that, unlike this was delayed in order to perfect. If it came out at launch we would most likely see downgrades in that game as well. MS just felt the need to have this game out at launch and the nerds are making them suffer for it.

When you use the phrase "system's capabilities" the future is always relevant. It's related to the word potential that references future improved performance.

And even if forza looked like it did at E3 would that really change what we have seen from the xbox one so far. I think everyone's opinion that build still isn't as visually impressive as ryse is. Granted they are different kinds of games.

Personally as far as racers are concerned what I have seen from drive club is the most impressive but that, unlike this was delayed in order to perfect. If it came out at launch we would most likely see downgrades in that game as well. MS just felt the need to have this game out at launch and the nerds are making them suffer for it.

I agree with you, the graphics will improve on consoles, that's a given. I'm just calling out those fans who had their heads in the cloud falsely claiming E3 build was actually running on x1 and that was what x1 is capable of at that point. Also those who were back peddling and saying graphics don't matter, gameplay does. That wasn't what they were saying earlier. 

My post was intended to ask whether they still think E3 build was on x1 hardware but I never got a straight answer. 

Too_Talls said:
allblue said:
Too_Talls said:
allblue said:

the xbox one so far. I think everyone's opinion that build still isn't as visually impressive as ryse is. Granted they are different kinds of games.

The fact is ryse isn't 1080p 60fps, as far as I'm concerned "next gen" means the visual feats of Ryse/killzone(even they're not that impressive) at the very least with no less than 1080p 60fps. 

Claim your product to be next gen or the most ambitious ever on the day it achieves that milestone. 

I have had enough PR bullshit and lies from the companies, we don't need that from the customers themselves. 

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:
dahuman said:
kirby007 said:
dahuman said:
kirby007 said:
so why aren't we discussing AI and handling by the way? and only 1080p and aa?

Digital Foundry is pure graphical analysis.

bit flawed way of reviewing

it's not a review

Its not pro-Xbone so that is the point.

this game being a simulator revolves around handling and control and ai is being judged on graphical facts like aa

same like putting civ:rev up there =total nonsense, it looking nice is a benefit not the goal

Forza isn't a sim, even Turn10 says it's not a sim. I don't get where people get that from...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

allblue said:

I agree with you, the graphics will improve on consoles, that's a given. I'm just calling out those fans who had their heads in the cloud falsely claiming E3 build was actually running on x1 and that was what x1 is capable of at that point. Also those who were back peddling and saying graphics don't matter, gameplay does. That wasn't what they were saying earlier. 

My post was intended to ask whether they still think E3 build was on x1 hardware but I never got a straight answer. 

Gatcha, However that supersedes this article. Which is another reason why this turned into a fan war rather than a discussion.

As for your 1080p comment, I'd say thats rather nit picky. 1080p is a number that has proven to not be all it's cut out to be. the 900p ryse looks better than mist of the 1080p games today. Personaly (and I think this also goes for most people), The native reselousin a game out puts has never been an issue. I myself only leared of the excistense of native res when I joined this forum a few weeks ago.

When I moved up console generations, all I knew was "damn, this looks so much better". I leave the technoligy behind it to the guys behind the game. I think it was better when everybody was oblivious to such things. All of a suden if something is 720p it is some how not enjoyable.

For those that must have the best numbers then by all means they should go with what has the best numbers. I don't think those numbers defy the generation at all. 720p versions of last gen's games on x 1 still look far better. it isn't about the native res.

And I think your interpretation of the use of the word ambition, is wrong. I don't think that has anything to do with system power, I think they were talking about kinnect and all the other things they are dowing in ways nobody else is. They have a vision that could fail because it's new and risky and will take lots of hard work to achieve. #Ambition