By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. Forza Motorsport 5

Tagged games:

waiting for your response hurhurhur

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Forza Motorsport 5: the Digital Foundry verdict

On balance, Turn 10's first effort on Xbox One is impressive for what it sets out to achieve in its 1080p60 presentation, but the raised resolution proves to be something of a Pandora's Box. As ever, the studio's exceptional car detailing steals the show in its authenticity, now bolstered by the materials texturing that sits well with the increased pixel-count. However, it's around this that Forza 5's shortcomings become apparent; now we see the lacklustre texture filtering, the pixellated foliage, and even the cut-out spectator sprite-work that line the road-sides. The game's improved lighting effects and motion blur go some way to obscure such issues during the core racing experience, but in tandem with the halved track and car count, it does seem to suggest a developer pressed to release an end product to a brutal launch window schedule.

It's also disappointing that, despite the supreme full HD presentation, Forza 5 offers anti-aliasing that delivers little to no effect on foliage or cars. Stair-stepping can be rough in spots, especially in cockpit view, and given the processing muscle-power needed to push out this resolution, it makes for a surprising contrast with a more thoroughly treated - if performance limited - 900p game like Ryse.

With that being said, much of this only considers the surface experience, and we're pleased to find Forza 5's handling model continues to impress in its next-gen form. By building on well-forged relationships with like the likes of Pirelli, from whom test data continues to be sourced and entered into the game engine, Turn 10's work continues to improve a simulation that few besides Polyphony Digital are ready to match in the console scene. At its core, the racing mechanics remain fun and satisfying with a controller in hand, even if the gloss over the top can underwhelm.

In review, while the bedrock racing experience is as solid as ever, this can be seen as a stepping stone towards a final product that has yet to arrive; a work in progress if you like. Even compared to the build seen at E3 just a few months ago, differences in bloom, optimised LOD streaming and the remixing of each circuit's surrounding décor are apparent. But in its current form, although Forza 5 falls short in terms of overall polish, it sets a precedent for next-gen racing simulations by virtue of simply planting the flag in the soil first.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-23-digital-foundry-vs-forza-motorsport-5

I found the Digital Foundry article very fair and almost complete in the technicals limitations of Forza 5.

Except Not a word on complete lack of dynamic lighting or changing weather. But besides that, they were spot on and very negative towards the game I think. They really insisted on the complete lack of Antialiasing, the 2D crowds, low environments, poor textures  etc.

But I can't believe those images come from Forza 5. The lack of dynamic lighting or even ambient occlusing, bloom, complex shadows.... Even F355 on dreamcast had better lighting and effects (in my tinted glasses) and seemed more real. Those baked textures ...give a new benchmark of baked textures I think that will be used for the years to come. Those 2D trees (forest even) on the background... this game is really low geometry and low textures and everything (the bland environment) is enhanced by the 1080p, it is always sunny also which is very convenient for the dynamic stuff lighting/shadowing explained lack.

I remember Gears of War on X360 with those awesome shaders and lighting applied everywhere... Now with a 300 people team in more than 2 years and they could not use 3D crows nor 3D trees nor shaders on textures? With 16 tracks?

They really didn't use any tiling. 2 framebuffers 16MB each: total 32MB. no more 150MB/S (at peak under some Microsoft PRed operations) available. All the assets, textures, geometry and shaders must  be bottleneck by this 50MB/S bandwidth if you remove around 18MB/S for the jaguars, contention and useable bandwidth comprised in the 18MB/s.

50MB/s versus 150MB/s fully available on PS4 (I removed 18Mb/s for X1 VS 26Mb/s for PS4 for contention/jaguars and slight latency allegedly BS disadvantage) . It is 3 times more bandwidth available for all the assets. It explains the 720p22fps pushed by the first open-world X1 game, dr3. With 2 720p framebuffers all the rest of VRam may be used by the zombies render models and main character assets ideally. But the whole open-world must be stored and processed from the 50MB/s bandwidth.

No kidding the PS4 needs to actively and (intelligently) passively cool its GDDR5 ram and the fact that finally the PS4 has an impressive peak (not PRed) of 150W of power consumption. How did the X1 architects did let this bandwith bottleneck in the X1 specs? When they did use the fastest GDDR3 ram available for the X360 in a real unified fast ram? In fact the X1 is not a fully unified ram system cause it has a 32MB vram to be smartly used by developers like the 4MB of vram for the PS2, remember the fiasco? On X360 the 10MB was not programmable Vram but just a frambuffer memory used for that purpose, like a memory dedicated to the GPU but programmable by developers. This X1 architecture is different from the true unified X360 ram. It is in fact a re-hash of the at the times already and still insufferable PS2 Ram architecture.

Why nobody did make that PS2/ X1 memory architecture link? It is so obvious and real.

selnor1983 said:

This gMe is amazing. As a racing fanatic this is eby far the best sim on  onsole. Under the hood its physics are clearly way ahead of the lazt gen sims. The impulse triggers were made cor this game. And it looks phenominal. I really cant go back and play forza 4 anymore. The drivatar ai makes every race feel unique. Gone is the procession racing of the ai in fora 4 and gt 5/6. Finally ai  ontrolled drivers make mistakez and try do or die moves like real human players. At times coming up eu rouge and over the top looks so real.

Last gen is so behind me. Im gaming so much more again. Really impressed with xbox one launch. 

Forz 5 is a must for any fan of zimulators. Itz so much better than last gen. 

you race with the controller? i would figure you for only using a wheel to play.

kirby007 said:

Who are you talking to? Still waiting for your answer on the visual downgrade. 

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

allblue said:
kirby007 said:

cloud implementation obviously that got removed

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
allblue said:
kirby007 said:

Hold on for a sec I might be missing something...but is Kirby a developer of F5? if not I think such a question cannot realistically be answered, yet you have been asking for almost 10 pages.....

But if he is a dev an answer would be nice. If not your baiting something..........but what O_o?

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

I just have something do say from a Simulator Racing fan.

You can't judge the DRIVING PHYSICS and the IMPULSE TRIGGERS in the same sentence... one just invalidates the other.

If the IMPULSE TRIGGERS are something that make you fell better on Forza 5 then you need to stop to play any simulator racing and start to play arcades racing.

But I know some guys that like the "rewind" feature and says they are simulator racing fans... contradictory.

kirby007 said:

cloud implementation obviously that got removed

I know you are joking but that was good response

Too_Talls said:
allblue said:
kirby007 said:

Hold on for a sec I might be missing something...but is Kirby a developer of F5? if not I think such a question cannot realistically be answered, yet you have been asking for almost 10 pages.....

But if he is a dev an answer would be nice. If not your baiting something..........but what O_o?

Well just as xbox fans are capable of meriting x1's capabilities, I thought they would be able to give me a rational answer to the downgrades.

Kirby is more than capable of answering as it is evident from the post above. Apparently it was the cloud. :)

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

ethomaz said:
I just have something do say from a Simulator Racing fan.

You can't judge the DRIVING PHYSICS and the IMPULSE TRIGGERS impulse triggers in the same sentence... one just invalidates the other.

If the IMPULSE TRIGGERS are something that make you fell better on Forza 5 then you need to stop to play any simulator racing and start to play arcades racing.

But I know some guys that like the "rewind" feature and says they are simulator racing fans... contradictory.

Yeah that rewind thing is so noobish. seems like a out of place feature for a percision game. you can fick up all you want.........

werent we talking about the abysmal visuals though?

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)