By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Million Sellers and they're ratings

coolestguyever said:
I agree with Fax: Reviewers aren't always the same as the average consumer.

I disagree with Claude: as I said in my post, its facts, not troll or flamebait. Trolling/flamebait involves making stuff up to piss people off, I'm using facts.

You are using facts to piss people off? Anyway, as HS and Mike pointed out, there's a fair amount of higher rated games in million sellers and the taste of the public varies a lot. Which is proved by Wii million sellers. I mean, Carnival Games for example. Have you ever been in carnival, funfair, amusement park or even circus? If so, you propably have an idea what Carnival Games should be about. Just like people who have been watching football have an idea what FIFA is about. There's also few other points to consider, like to who the reviewer thinks he's making the review and not that the reviewer wouldn't like the game, but whether is the game what the reviewer would want it to be. Now we could also take 50 this generation games, 1/3 from top highest rated, 1/3 from lowest rated and 1/3 from the middle and let people who play minesweeper and solitaire on their PC:s to rate them. I'd guess the top games on metacritic would rank to be the lowest group. One thing you could consider game being a failure/being crap would be when it fails to reach the target audience. I don't think Carnival Games could be considered crap or failure by that definion, unlike Lair (as someone mentioned it). And the thing goes for many not-so-high-rated game on Wii.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

The only thing this thread proves is that coolestguyever is the worst type of fanboy. If this is anything but a joke we can all save time by ignoring his posts.

@kingofwale

If you must continue to praise Occam's razor at least look up what it means. The simplest possible answer is usually the right one, not the less complicated of two ridiculously unlikely choices.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Wait, is this where we're at now? Is this the last resort?

• Wii is a fad. Check
  • Wii will die down after Christmas. Check
  • Wii won't make it past GameCube sales because only Nintendofans are buying it (CrazzyMan I'm looking at you) Check (besides America)
  • Wii will stop selling once the 360/PS3 get some big games... Half check, to be updated later
  • Wii will stop selling once HD becomes "standard"... awaiting confirmation
  • Wii only sales WiiSports and WiiPlay and party games or Nintendo titles... RE4, RE:UC, Lego Star Wars, MySims and many others say hi. Check
Total: 3.66 out of 6, and the last 2.33 (the .33 being America Wii = America GC) are quickly losing traction.

So we resort to saying that though the Wii has more million sellers than the PS3, the million sellers are of lesser quality than the million sellers than ones on the PS3.

Heh. Well let's wait to the end of the year (which by then the Wii should stop selling at 32 million), we can check or not check this one as well.

And this is the 3rd thread this week about it. Move along. 

These "casual" games are garnering their sales due to incredible legs; no one wants to mention that legs are generally a sign of good word of mouth. In the case of games like MP8, BBA and Carnival Games, the WOM must be loud and overwhelmingly positive, because sales just refuse to quit.

And, with some games, a successful edition has resulted in good sales and better up-front sales for a future edition. Cooking Mama, Mario Party 8 -> DS, BBA, etc. This is a second strong indication that people are highly satisfied with their purchases.

And its strange, because there is a multitude of this type of game on Wii. One would think at some point, sales would start reflecting other over-saturated genres, with huge sales up front quickly falling off. But it hasn't happened yet.

Occom's razor:

1. Several dozen reviewers who have been playing certain, different types of games for years are wrong.

2. Millions of people buying games, and apparantly generating good WOM and brand loyalty, are wrong.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Okay, seriously, Occom's razor doesn't prove a God damned thing, ever. I would classify it as logical fallacy, since people act as if it's always correct when there are many cases when the simplest explanation is downright false.

The guy came up with a statement that tends to be true more than it tends to be false, and now people think the simple explanation is always correct. It's a lot like the slippery slope fallacy. Sure. you have to take  step down the slope to tumble to the bottom, but taking a step doesn't necessitate tumbling to the bottom.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Well when I look at the list of best rated games on metacritic, I see 2 possibilities. Either PS3 games are really overrated, or Wii games are really underrated. Because the top list for the PS3 is really not that good compared to the Wii list. Moreover, there are several downloadable games, and even demos in the PS3 list. There's even games listed twice...

MikeB said:

Wii Play outperforming Zelda, Metroid and Mario Galaxy! The Wii certainly expanded the Nintendo userbase! My guess is that the userbase will double compared to the GameCube!

That's the best stealth "Wii is two Gamecubes taped together" I've read all year. Kudos.

This is just sad and pathetic on so many levels, read my sig and move on with your life, play your PS3 and 360 and just be happy with what you have.

mike_intellivision said:

PS -- I don't think this was flame or trolling. Pointed -- maybe. But since it used facts to start a discussion, you can't really accuse coolestguyever of trolling.

Now if someone says Wii sucks because it is for Mariofanboys .... 8*>

Thank you for saying that. I've been telling people that all along. I've been accused of flamebait many times. Its just a harmelss thread showing the stats.

coolestguyever said:
mike_intellivision said:

PS -- I don't think this was flame or trolling. Pointed -- maybe. But since it used facts to start a discussion, you can't really accuse coolestguyever of trolling.

Now if someone says Wii sucks because it is for Mariofanboys .... 8*>

Thank you for saying that. I've been telling people that all along. I've been accused of flamebait many times. Its just a harmelss thread showing the stats.

coolestguyever said:

I made a chart to help prove how lousy I think Wii games are.

Yeh, i'm not sure why you were accused of flamebait either