By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why dont I like A Link Between Worlds?

Tagged games:

I was totally ready to hate ALBW; as far as I'm concerned Nintendo haven't made a great Zelda game since Minish Cap in 2004 (damn where does the time go?). Poor form for almost a decade coupled with how ALBW looks makes everything look like it's made of cheap plastic seemed like a surefire failure.

But it's actually very very good! It gives you that real sense of freedom and adventure that I thought had lost the series forever. The puzzles feel recycled and it's way too easy, but it has that Zelda magic that's been absent for way too long. It's hard to quantify what they've done to make it feel fresh (the item rental system definitely helped), whatever it was though, they nailed it.

Let's hope they can do the same thing with the Wii U's Zelda.

Around the Network

fuck it, I'm going to buy it now... that Nintendo logo on the box is irresistible so I gots to has it!

I just saw a bit more of it and the dungeons look really cool!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

just started the game and I have to say it looks a lot better in 3D than it does in 2D like in the trailers

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

You must be a bokoblin's descendant. Or maybe Ganon?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
You must be a bokoblin's descendant. Or maybe Ganon?

Or a (*spoiler*) Demise'sdescendant...

Around the Network

Doesn't look that great to me as well, and I think the reviews are overrating it. Perfect scores for this type of game just don't seem right....

Granted, I haven't even PLAYED the game, so my opinion doesn't matter! I'm sure it's great, but perfect great? Ehhh..

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I have absolutely no nostalgia of ALTTP and it looks awesome to me. It looks boring to you because people can hae different opinions.

KylieDog said:
Because the same thing over and over gets boring.

Nintendo need retire some of their franchises for 10-15 years. Do something new, then when those get tired bring back the retired ones.

I wouldn't say "over and over" when it's been eight years since the last game in this particular branch of Zelda design. And I'm including Minish Cap and the Four Swords games, even though the former borrows a fair bit from 3D Zeldas, and the latter bear only a superficial resemblance to old-school Zelda. If this was another PH/ST-style game or Ocarina of Time Mk IV, I'd agree with you.

I do think that reusing the same overworld is quite lame, but at least they had the sense to pick the best and most compact overworld in the series to recycle.

A Link Between Worlds is already one of my favourite Zelda games. Done with seven dungeons now, Eiji Aonuma and his team really knows how to make fantastic and inventive puzzles, it's almost something new all the time.

And if they didn't choose to remake an overworld from the older titles it would feel somewhat weird to me, all the new stuff like non linear dungeon order and things like that. I like that the old overworld makes it feel like Zelda, while all the new stuff is completely new and hasn't been in Zelda games before.

Yep.