By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Super Mario 3D World a system seller?

We've seen game after game, from Wonderful 101 to Sonic Lost World to Wii Party U (outside of Japan) disappoint in sales and fail to move systems.  Third party titles have been even worse.  And Nintendo seems to want to forget that Nintendoland ever happened by removing it from the bundle, halving its price, and removing it from the eshop.  Ouch.

Do you think Super Mario 3D World will finally be a system seller for the Wii U?  Or do you think it too will disappoint like so many titles before it?

Around the Network

I'm sure it will move some systems. Don't expect it to work miracles though and boost Wii U sales to like 5-6x where they are now for months to come.

It's kinda unfair honestly that this game has to make up for such a botched launch, it's a lot of pressure to put on one game. 

Look at Mario 64 and tell us if you think that was a system seller.

The difference between Mario and the games you mentioned (other than the fact that It's Mario) is that SM3DW has excelent reviews. While the games with the best reviews that you mentioned is W101 with only 77%. I thought W101 was great, but would still be a niche title even if it had the 80s/85s it deserved.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

When has a 3d Mario game ever been a massive system seller? I'm sure it will provide a boost better than WW or Pikmin but I don't see it being an evergreen title.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Nem said:

3D World looks terrific and all, but Mario 64 it ain't. Mario 64 might be the greatest game ever made and was arguably the first masterpiece 3D gaming title. 

Soundwave said:
Nem said:

3D World looks terrific and all, but Mario 64 it ain't. Mario 64 might be the greatest game ever made and was arguably the first masterpiece 3D gaming title. 

Alright... look at Super Mario 3D land.

To cut this short. Of course its a system seller. Especially when it scores in 9.5 range. Every game on that range is gonna be a system seller.

Definitely a system seller, but what Mario games often do is sell over time. So I dont expect a huge sales increase but I do expect this game to help WiiU have higher sales each week for a long time, this will then be continued by games like MK8 and SSB etc.

If COMG is any indication, no it isn't. At least not as big as we imagine.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Nem said:
Soundwave said:
Nem said:

Alright... look at Super Mario 3D land.

To cut this short. Of course its a system seller. Especially when it scores in 9.5 range. Every game on that range is gonna be a system seller.

I agree it will sell some systems, though I think there are some differences between the situations. 

Firstly the 3DS was $169.99, the Wii U is $299.99 ... that's a much tougher challenge for 3D World to have to move systems in this instance.

Nintendo handhelds tend to be a much easier sell than consoles too. 

Lastly, 3D Land was the first real Mario game on the 3DS and had Mario Kart backing it up ... the Wii U already has NSMBU, if the 3DS launched with NSMB2, odds are 3D Land doesn't make quite the same impact.