By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Remember the Wonky Prices of Old Gens?

China and their knock offs of everything.......

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

Those controller prices, especially for SNES Games were already expensive in the past and with inflation they are probably even cheaper nowadays. I remember just too good how i paid 169DM for Nagano Winter Olympics 98 for N64 but can't really remember what i payed for SNES or NES games. But many of them were used from the market.

I remember paying $89.99CDN for Streetfighter 2 on SNES. I thought I was "lucky" just being able to find it!

_crazy_man_ said:
China and their knock offs of everything.......

They made some great stuff: Street Fighter 3 for the NES was one of my favorite games.. I still have it

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

orniletter said:
Kane1389 said:
I'd never in my life pay anything over 15 bucks for a 16bit game. People in the 90's must have been desperate

Some of the 16 bit games are worth 60$ today.

In contrast to the majority of the so called AAA games.

The small minority WERE worth 60 bucks back then (mostly RPGs and NIntendo stuff)

And that would depend on your definition of ''AAA titles''

Around the Network

Dat american SNES just looks so wrong!

That's my boy. Also, the Genesis will always be the Mega Drive in my book.

And yeah, games were expensive like shit. I paid 149 DM for Donkey Kong Country. But I don't think controllers were that expensive, maybe like 29 DM? Can't quite remember. But with the arrival of the PlayStation, games became a lot cheaper. You could buy most games brand new for no more than 79 DM - almost half as much as the big Nintendo games! I also think that was a BIG reason for the success of PlayStation. The only game on PSX I paid 99 DM for was Metal Gear Solid. Other than that, it was 79 DM for brand new games and 49 DM for older titles. Oh yeah, back then, games didn't get cheaper with time. Even if you waited three years, you still had to pay full price. That also changed with the arrival of PlayStation. So much changed back then... Many things got better, some things got worse.

@Kane1389:

Bit wars are over, Bits mean nothing these days. That said, in twenty years children will be on the internet saying "trolol, I would never payz dem moneyz to buyz those old gamezz that released before tehz apple consolezz!" or something. Especially 3D titles do not age well. I find it more reasonable to pay 70 $ for Super Mario World than for Wipeout, Resident Evil or something. The first generation of 3D titles looked bad. Like, REALLY bad.

No offense though.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

166 Pesetas ~ 1 Euro so the most expensive N64 games were around 90 Euros... in 1998.