By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What were some of the most underrated games you enjoyed this Gen?

Wright said:

Probably Sleeping dogs, Deadly Premonition, Shadows of the Damned, Stranglehold, Vanquish and Metro: Last Light =D

Sleeping Dogs was great, but I quoted you because it's nice to see someone else who likes Stranglehold.  Great gameplay that could have been refined with further releases or atleast refined if they made games with similar engines.  Unfortunately Midway was the first big name publisher to go under this gen.

Rockstar should have taken notes from Stranglehold developers on how to make a good shooter.  I played Max Payne 3 later and hated the game.  Here's what my two or three hours of Max Payne 3 consisted of before Iquit, and apparently most people who play the game.  Repeatedly slow motion dive because otherwise you're going to get raped with bullets and there was no reason not to keep diving when you're not given any meter that hinders you from doing constant slow motion.  If there's any Max Payne fans out there, then you need to play Stranglehold.

Anywayys, here's my list.

Stranglehold
Sleeping Dogs
Dante's Inferno 
Mirror's Edge
Lords of Shadow
White Knight Chronicles 2
The Saboteur
Yakuza 3 and 4
Army of Two the 40th Day
Twisted Metal
Sacred 2
Armored Core 4
Armored Core For Answer
Siren the Blood Curse

List for portables.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Feel the Magic XY/XX
Rub Rabbits
Gurumin
Wild ARMs XF
Yggdra Union
Brave Story
Crimson Gem Saga
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
Driver '76

Around the Network
Angelv577 said:
Siren: blood curse

Agreed, another sub 80 game that was much better then advertised. Sight jacking was a great way to enhance tension.

SvennoJ said:
Angelv577 said:

Agreed, another sub 80 game that was much better then advertised. Sight jacking was a great way to enhance tension.

Sub 80 isn't a bad game btw.  How most journalists review, overrating everything all to hell then yeah, sub 80 is bad, but realistically a 6/10 would mean a good game. 

I agree with this too though.  Forgot to list it so I just added it.  I'd like them to retool this game and rerelease it because as great of a game it is, it's got some major issues.  When not running, the camera is way too close to your characters so that about 50% of the viewing area is taken by your character.  The colors are also too drab and repetitive with a really bad blur effect when you're outside in darker areas that it's sometimes difficult to even see where you're going without the map, flashlight or not.

Graphics don't make the game, but this is one game where better graphics would make all the difference, I think.

kupomogli said:
SvennoJ said:
Angelv577 said:

Sub 80 isn't a bad game btw.  How most journalists review, overrating everything all to hell then yeah, sub 80 is bad, but realistically a 6/10 would mean a good game. 

I agree with this too though.  Forgot to list it so I just added it.  I'd like them to retool this game and rerelease it because as great of a game it is, it's got some major issues.  When not running, the camera is way too close to your characters so that about 50% of the viewing area is taken by your character.  The colors are also too drab and repetitive with a really bad blur effect when you're outside in darker areas that it's sometimes difficult to even see where you're going without the map, flashlight or not.

Graphics don't make the game, but this is one game where better graphics would make all the difference, I think.

Yeah 80 is great, but as you said all scores are inflated nowadays. If we take 60 as the cut off point for a good game almost none of the games in this thread are underrated.

I don't remember too many difficulties with the camera, but I did have to redo a lot of areas until I got comfortable with the layout. It did have the best scare for me this gen, trying to escape into elevator in the hospital only to find another one in there, draw it out, dodging the other one and double back into the elevator hoping the doors close in time. Fun times. Horror games are so much better if you can't simply kill any threat.

Endless Ocean 2

Around the Network

Ah, an Overlord thead! :D

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Sleeping dogs
Infamous 2
Resistance 3

Slade6alpha said:
Forgot to mention Valkyria Chronicles... Has anyone played that, or would recommend it?

Hell yes, one of my top fav games on the ps3. It did get critical and general praise but sales wise it should of gotten more a lot more sales. So yeah i'd call it underrated.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Child of Eden on PS3 - one of the few experiences I fully condone getting a PS Move for.

Wipeout HD Fury - anyone feeling hard done by concerning Nintendo's abrupt abandonment of F-Zero? This fills the void perfectly, if not surpasses it. (yes, even the Gamecube game), it's only flaw is probably the lack of NeGcon controller support, but that's on Namco/Sony.

Mario Hoops 3 on 3 - surprisingly interesting mechanics, hope it gets a 3DS sequel in some form.

My list

Metro: Last Light
The Darkness ( The second game was a huge disappointment)
BlazBlue (All of them :P)
Katamari Forever
And the vita library

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share