By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - No More Heroes cracks 100k in North America in only three weeks

It does my heart good to see No More Heroes sell well in America.

Hopefully the same will be said of Europe.

Edit: New page post. Yes I am that silly

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network

Thanks for the bashing guys. Really means alot to me.

I find it interesting that you compare it to Dynasty Warriors and Devil May Cry, yet neither are open-world, overhead mapping, nor have quirky side quests, nor use an economy system (as far as I can remember for DW), and also interesting that they use Grand Theft Auto in many of the comparisons (both similarities and glaring differences) - all of which GTA/NMH share in common, and none (despite being somewhat decently big elements of both NMH/GTA) aren't in the games your comparing it to.

Very mature guys. Very mature. Even then, 100k in 3 weeks is still bad. Hopefully it keeps selling, as it looks like a great game. But you gotta call a duck a duck :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

RPG_Fanatic said:

I wouldn't say that is is necessarly selling well. IMO, I thought this was expected and I don;t consider 100k in 3 weeks in America "well" - more like OK

wiiforever said:
RPG_Fanatic said:

I wouldn't say that is is necessarly selling well. IMO, I thought this was expected and I don;t consider 100k in 3 weeks in America "well" - more like OK

Compared to Japan, it is selling well. What I meant was that NMH is not failing as badly as I feared it might.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

wiiforever said:
RPG_Fanatic said:

Compared to Japan, it is selling well. What I meant was that NMH is not failing as badly as I feared it might.

Around the Network
koopatrooper said:
is it that good of a game

I was expecting a 7 or 8/10 game, after playing it awhile, it's easily a 9/10. I play a lot of games as you can see by my game ownership list in my profile. This game just screams awesome at points. When you are fighting there is really nothing else on the market that compares to it. It's a must buy for anyone interested in the punk scene ;)

I'd put it as the most important game of 2008, this game will define how an artsy game should look and play. It's really just an awe to watch and play.

Also what most people have been forgetting is that this game has been extremely hard for most of us to find.  It's a needle in a haystack game.  You can find a crap title like Ninjabred man at every freaking store you go to but you won't find NMH's anywhere unless you really look or are very lucky.  So 100k sales in 3 weeks for a game that basically exists mostly as folk lore on the internet isn't too shabby.

Maybe... just maybe...  this is an inside joke for Suda...  maybe he planned it to be this hard to find... so we'd have to fight like Otaku to get the game once we found out how it's crack for Wii fans.... Hmmm....

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

mrstickball said:

I find it interesting that you compare it to Dynasty Warriors and Devil May Cry, yet neither are open-world, overhead mapping, nor have quirky side quests, nor use an economy system (as far as I can remember for DW), and also interesting that they use Grand Theft Auto in many of the comparisons (both similarities and glaring differences) - all of which GTA/NMH share in common, and none (despite being somewhat decently big elements of both NMH/GTA) aren't in the games your comparing it to.

Very mature guys. Very mature. Even then, 100k in 3 weeks is still bad. Hopefully it keeps selling, as it looks like a great game. But you gotta call a duck a duck :)

Grand Theft Auto has quirky sidequests? Where?

No More heroes is basically a Hack N' Slash with Minigames.

Also Dynasty Warriors does have an economy system. (in some modes)

Many dynasty warriors games also do have quirky minigames.

Would Halo not be a FPS if after every stage you had to play a minigame to power up your guns? (Half of which involved shooting people in FPS mode.)

Also i'd guess 100K was already around double their expectations.  I mean, do some research on Suda 51 games. 

DarkNight_DS said:
koopatrooper said:
is it that good of a game

I was expecting a 7 or 8/10 game, after playing it awhile, it's easily a 9/10. I play a lot of games as you can see by my game ownership list in my profile. This game just screams awesome at points. When you are fighting there is really nothing else on the market that compares to it. It's a must buy for anyone interested in the punk scene ;)

I'd put it as the most important game of 2008, this game will define how an artsy game should look and play. It's really just an awe to watch and play.

Also what most people have been forgetting is that this game has been extremely hard for most of us to find. It's a needle in a haystack game. You can find a crap title like Ninjabred man at every freaking store you go to but you won't find NMH's anywhere unless you really look or are very lucky. So 100k sales in 3 weeks for a game that basically exists mostly as folk lore on the internet isn't too shabby.

Maybe... just maybe... this is an inside joke for Suda... maybe he planned it to be this hard to find... so we'd have to fight like Otaku to get the game once we found out how it's crack for Wii fans.... Hmmm....

I'd say it was way too short to be a 9/10.  It's really awesome... but the length is a bit unforgiveable. 

mrstickball said:

Sorry mrstickball but they're just calling you out correctly.  I just got the game recently and it is hardly GTA at all.  Its definitely closer to a DMC type game than GTA.  In fact, most of the reviews call out the overworld as being fairly useless and that it can be replaced just as a level select menu and that being a positive effect on the game.  Can you say taking out the overworld on GTA not affecting the game negatively?  Exactly.  

Side quests, economy system for upgrading, etc are not unique features to GTA, they're common themes in all action/adventure games. 

And if you're gonna argue that games with open worlds, quirky side quest, economy systems etc are GTA clones, then you're gonna have to say Zelda is also a GTA clone.  Actually, NMH follows Zelda's system where you have an overworld where you go to a specific dungeon/location, and fight enemies through all the way to the boss (except no puzzles in NMH).  All the fighting done is close combat as well.

OT: Anyone else thought the Shinobu fight was incredible? 

RPG_Fanatic said:
wiiforever said:
RPG_Fanatic said:

well...it's certainly no failing but it's no "success" either...yet