By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Since Sony's lackluster launch lineup reviews are up, what's in store for Microsoft???

After seeing Killzone and Knack's metascores, I'm now very worried about Forza 5. With significantly fewer tracks and cars than Forza 4, and only slightly better graphics, I'm not certain that it will get 80+. And even Turn 10 themselves seem to be admitting that FM5 has been rushed to market.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
Adinnieken said:
Launch Exclusives:
Crimson Dragon - 8/10
Fighter Within - 6/10
Forza Motorsports 5 - 9/10
Killer Instinct - 9/10
Lococycle - 8/10
Ryse: Son of Rome - 9/10
Zoo Tycoon - 9/10

Crimson Dragon and Lococycle may end up being lower than an 8. The buzz around Ryse, Zoo Tycoon, KI, and Forza is too high. I don't think Fighter Within can go lower, but I haven't heard anyone say it's anything to write home about. Everything I've heard about Ryse, I think it'll surprise everyone.

Prepare to be disappointed, seriously.

Regardless, of how the games score, I won't be disappointed.  Nothing in either launch line-up is my cuppa.

My opinion of where they will fall is based on the opinions of writers and gamers that have played the games since E3 and Gamescon.

jamesmarkus87 said:
After seeing Killzone and Knack's metascores, I'm now very worried about Forza 5. With significantly fewer tracks and cars than Forza 4, and only slightly better graphics, I'm not certain that it will get 80+. And even Turn 10 themselves seem to be admitting that FM5 has been rushed to market.

While you're concern is legitimate: I think it's also somewhat steered towards the fact that Killzone is a shooter.

Halo 4 got the same treatment and even CoD has been somewhat low this year. Perhaps people just got tired of reviewing CoD, BF and Killzone back-to-back.

I wouldn't worry too much about Forza. But just incase: Go in expecting it to be a taaad lower than its previous entry. Around 85-90 should still be doable. 80-85 at worst.

I said 8 for KZ... so I did pretty well on that... so here are my general thoughts on where games will score (only done games that I have some idea of what they are about :)

Forza - Between 7 and 8 - Not much changed, but people will rave about handling
Ryse- Between 6 and 7 - People will like the cinematic's but find the game clunky and uninspired
Dead Rising-Between 6 and 7 - Fun but ruined by poor visuals and FPS
Zoo tycoon- Between 4 and 6 - Family fun ruined by lack of content and FPS
Crimson Dragon-7 - Feels like last gen game.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

no clue but the sad part about the scores of ps4 games now and probably not very high scores for xb1 games will be that many people will love to see that. instead of hoping for good games all around, many will hope to see bad scores for games on a console they won't buy. it's bad for the industry but hey, at least they don't miss an awesome game right?

Around the Network
Aldro said:

Another really odd thing with metacritic is this:

Since Meta weighs sites differently: Some luck is ideal. Perhaps you have a guy called Henry working for IGN who gives every game a 1/10. Then suddenly, a game comes and this time its Sam who is reviewing it. Sam is much nicer and gives it a 8/10. Meta doesn't take into account who is reviewing it so it really is a bit ofa gamble. Saying "IGN gave it a 10" isn't the same as saying "Colin gave it a 10" or "Greg gave it a 10" but to meta, its all the same.

It's also why its odd to compare previous titles really. "X game got 95!" , "Y game got 92!". Both times change expectations and the first game has the natural advantage of being first. But it also depends on the reviewers. If you have 50 reviewers reviewing game X and another 50 reviewing Y => It's hard to just compare numbers since the people voting could be so different.

I had arguments with two different IGN editors about this a few weeks ago. From what I gathered they're either drinking a whole lot of kool-aid and they're oblivious to the current trend happening with reviews, or just trying to keep their jobs.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Im sure i'm not alone in this, but up until now, I feel PS4 has been riding the wave in that it "isn't Xbox". Now that reviews are setting in, I hope people can see PS4 as it is, not as a comparison model.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Exclusive Embargo lifts when..?

Ryse and DR3 would get panned.

The rest should be fine.

My guess on lowest to highest:

Ryse 8.4/8.8
Forza 5 8.8/9.1
Zoo Tycoon 7.5/7.8
DR3 8.2/8.5
KI 8.0/8.4
Lycocycle 7.1/7.5
Powerstar Golf 7.0/7.3
Crimson Dragon 7.4/7.7