By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have seen the Future, and your console isn't in it!!!

Dv8thwonder said:

Opens browser to Vgchartz. *puts on glasses* Reads OP....Wii U discontiued?...Nintendo going 3rd party?...PS4 and Xbone taking over immediately despite their high prices and limited software choices?...Tablets and smartphones taking over console space? Really? Really? The question isn't "Are you high?" It should be "How high are you right now because this post is definitely from outer space?

Reads reply.  Realizes that response is from someone who either did not read the post or didn't comprehend what they did read.

I did not say the WiiU is being discontinued this year(only a matter of when for any console), as I indicated that it would be 5 years old when it went away(Wii was only 6 years old).  I also did not say that the XB1 or PS4 will dominate this year or next.  When the console space does go away, what will take it's place??  Do you think it is going to be room sized servers?

I am not high, but obviously you have either not yet attended grade school or were high when you did.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network
Daisuke72 said:
No. There's so many things wrong in the OP.

1. Power consumption.   You plug in your console, why can't a tablet be plugged in when playing for extended period of time?
2. ARM's top tier GPU in five years won't be anywhere close to PS4's lol.  Arm isn't the only tablet processor!! LOL
3. By time the PS5 released the gap would become even wider.  There are tablets more powerful than the PS4 today!
4. Bigger chips with bigger power consumption will advance just as ARM has, albeit at a smaller rate, the graphic standards at which PC Gamers and PS5 gamers will be accustomed to will make mobile platform's GPU's, which should only be JUST above PS3 level IF you ignore the power consumption, look outdated.  Same Answer, there are more powerful tablets today than the PS4! Including the GPU!
5. Controllers.  Why can't you use any bluetooth controller with a tablet?
6. Casuals who game on dedicated home consoles will not stop gaming there to game on phones and tablets, mostly because tablets are used for mini-games, unless you mean the Wii Crowd, who're already out of the fray.  If a tablet/smartphone can do what your console does, why do you need the console?
7. The Cloud? lolno  I did not say the cloud was providing power to the processor, this isn't the XB1!  I was talking about storage!
8. Local hardware will always be more efficient than the cloud and will always be what the consumer wants, the cloud has to allocate a certain amount of resources to the user, and with the power draw, I imagine the cloud being a more expensive and dangerous endeavor, now, when google fiber becomes the norm, it could theoretically enhance the PS4 and Xbone's graphics and whatnot, but not for free as they would once again have to allocate resources in the cloud, which costs the company, which financially makes no sense unless they charge for it.  See previous response!

Please take a minute to reread the MY ORIGINAL Post.  I have also replied in bold next to yours...

Landguy said:
Daisuke72 said:

1. Power consumption.   You plug in your console, why can't a tablet be plugged in when playing for extended period of time?
2. ARM's top tier GPU in five years won't be anywhere close to PS4's lol.  Arm isn't the only tablet processor!! LOL
3. By time the PS5 released the gap would become even wider.  There are tablets more powerful than the PS4 today!
4. Bigger chips with bigger power consumption will advance just as ARM has, albeit at a smaller rate, the graphic standards at which PC Gamers and PS5 gamers will be accustomed to will make mobile platform's GPU's, which should only be JUST above PS3 level IF you ignore the power consumption, look outdated.  Same Answer, there are more powerful tablets today than the PS4! Including the GPU!
6. Casuals who game on dedicated home consoles will not stop gaming there to game on phones and tablets, mostly because tablets are used for mini-games, unless you mean the Wii Crowd, who're already out of the fray.  If a tablet/smartphone can do what your console does, why do you need the console?
7. The Cloud? lolno  I did not say the cloud was providing power to the processor, this isn't the XB1!  I was talking about storage!
8. Local hardware will always be more efficient than the cloud and will always be what the consumer wants, the cloud has to allocate a certain amount of resources to the user, and with the power draw, I imagine the cloud being a more expensive and dangerous endeavor, now, when google fiber becomes the norm, it could theoretically enhance the PS4 and Xbone's graphics and whatnot, but not for free as they would once again have to allocate resources in the cloud, which costs the company, which financially makes no sense unless they charge for it.  See previous response!

Please take a minute to reread the MY ORIGINAL Post.  I have also replied in bold next to yours...

Oh, you mean those type of tablets, the Window's ones..I was under the impression you were talking about android based tablets and iPads, which is why I used ARM. 

But anyways, at those prices you're better off PC Gaming, and those type of tablets aren't even popular, so yeah

Daisuke72 said:
Landguy said:
Daisuke72 said:

Oh, you mean those type of tablets, the Window's ones..I was under the impression you were talking about android based tablets and iPads, which is why I used ARM. 

But anyways, at those prices you're better off PC Gaming, and those type of tablets aren't even popular, so yeah

I agree that the prices on these higher end tablets are high TODAY(also mentioned in my original post), but within a few years they will not be.  I would also expect the Steam Box version of the tablets to come out by 2015.

Landguy said:
Daisuke72 said:
Landguy said:
Daisuke72 said:

I agree that the prices on these higher end tablets are high TODAY(also mentioned in my original post), but within a few years they will not be.  I would also expect the Steam Box version of the tablets to come out by 2015.

Those tablets have limited appeal outside of business use, I actually thought this topic pertained to games being ported over to the Android an IOS market. 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Phones possibly destroying the dedicated handheld market? Yes, I do think so. Destroying the home console market in one fell swoop? No way, just not going to happen.

People who claim the phone market is going to kill the handheld market reminds me of people who were saying a couple years ago that Pcs would kill consoles. Smartphones are ALREADY very present in todays world. Did it stop the 3DS from pushing great hardware sales? No. 

I have a question to people in general, what will smartphones be able to do in 4-5years (except better graphics obviously) that will kill the handheld market that they cannot do today? 

If anything, smartphones just took what Nintendo/Sony had gained during that last psp/ds generation which makes sense because were going towards GB-GBA numbers.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Daisuke72 said:
Landguy said:
Daisuke72 said:
Landguy said:
Daisuke72 said:

Those tablets have limited appeal outside of business use, I actually thought this topic pertained to games being ported over to the Android an IOS market. 

You are only thinking that it would have to be a Windows based tablet.  You could do the same thing with Linux.  Also, Google is working on integrating the Chrome OS into the Android OS - If you mix that with a powerful tablet(Samsung or some other 3rd party).  Also, Apple has just released thier first 64 bit processor with a GPU.  They too are integrating IOS with their standard MAC OS.    Most people on the VGChartz site are very focused on the simple and obvious capabilities that they have experience with for Smartphones/Tablets.  Almost none of the current apps actually use the power of the processors in them.  The real reason is that there are such a large mix of phones and tablets with varying power, developers make the apps down to the lowest power to hit the mass market appeal.

Landguy said:
theprof00 said:
I want whatever you're smoking.
Cell phones are nowhere near close to putting out the same level of power as a console.

The power of the Cell phone has more than doubled every year for the past 4 years.  So, 4-5 years from now, the will probably have more than enough power to handle most games.

With that said/ I wasn't speaking only to smartphones, I was also talking about tablets.

And in four or five years from now PCs and and the consoles that come after will still have significant more power to deliver an even better gaming experience than any tablet around at the same time.

It's only when tablets provide a gamepad with rumble feedback, motion sensing and 1080p@60 output to a 60" TV I will say the console is dead.

depends what type of games you are playing i guess ,remember we are hardcore around here,
we'll be playing consoles you wear as helmets and gloves and never leave these fantasy worlds aprt from to go to the toilet.won't get that with a mobile device

Above & Beyond

If the 3DS can do this well in the face of smartphones/tablets then I think consoles will be fine too. Thankfully though, dedicated gaming machines will live or die based on the quality of their content. Hopefully Wii won't see any more consoles aimed at casuals.