By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Great Last Gen Article

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

Discusses why not to buy a PS2, and why PS2 may fail.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

It does put a new perspective on the PS3...though I think most people agree that the PS3 is in a much different situation than the PS2 was.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

A very interesting read. The main differences between the Ps2 and Ps3 are :

* Launch time within the Cycle.

* Hitting an all time high price point.

* Backing a format that isn't widely adopted yet.

It will be interesting to see how these factors affect the sales performance of the system

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

That's some nice digging you've done there quantum.

What I find most interesting about that article is how well it would have applied to the PS3 IF! the PS3 came out a year before the competition.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yes, it is a very interesting article, that shows how wrong the predictors can be. Doesnt mean MUCH to the generation, as this was pre launch speculation, but does give some insight

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

I think it shows that people are to quick o jump to conclusions. If I am not mistaken IDC said the dolphin (which wasn't released at the time) would stomp the competition because of its, power, price, and nintendo's first party titles. There are a few more variables to this than just names, titles and hype.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Well, ps3 will rock in second part of 2007.

Like begining with http://www.gamepro.com/screens/110429/108390-4-2.jpg :)

and well, any other console didn`t have so many good titles in _first_ year of console life.
PS3 in _first_ year will get in 2007:

GTA4
AC
DMC4
(multiplatform - but still will be very good games)

MGS4 or FFXIII (?)
KillZone2 (?)
HS
NGS
Lair
Uncharted
Ratchet
LBP
MotorStorm
VF5
Warhawk -- Folks soul

on PS2 all hits like MGS2, GT3, FFX, GTA3, DMC came only on _second_ year of console life.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

i miss my dreamcast! Oh wait I sitll have it! I'll probably play some tonight.

Bro that is a nice article you have there. PS I send ya an PM ^^..

Quantum-Tarantino said:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

Discusses why not to buy a PS2, and why PS2 may fail.

PS2 had a year lead over GCN and Xbox, and was only $300, not $600 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)