By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Great Last Gen Article

A lot of analysts and commentators back then thought that Nintendo ruling the gaming world was the "natural order" of things. PS1 won merely because Nintendo blew it, and now that they'd fixed their mistakes, they'd return to the top.

This gen, you have analysts and commentators arguing that PlayStation is the "natural order" and others arguing that Nintendo is. Both are wrong of course. Though its interesting and gives us perspective on history, posting articles like this to suggest a correlation between PS2 and PS3 is just as wrong. The strongest correlation is that both times you have developers whining about developing for a Kutaragi system, and commentators claiming that the year-old systems with a superior online setup, but which honestly haven't sold very well yet have an advantage. Beyond that, you have a $300 system with hype and a $600 system without it.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

Well, ps3 will rock in second part of 2007.

Like begining with http://www.gamepro.com/screens/110429/108390-4-2.jpg :)

and well, any other console didn`t have so many good titles in _first_ year of console life.
PS3 in _first_ year will get in 2007:

GTA4
AC
DMC4
(multiplatform - but still will be very good games)

MGS4 or FFXIII (?)
KillZone2 (?)
HS
NGS
Lair
Uncharted
Ratchet
LBP
MotorStorm
VF5
Warhawk -- Folks soul

on PS2 all hits like MGS2, GT3, FFX, GTA3, DMC came only on _second_ year of console life.

I thought March was supposed to be when PS3 DOMINATION began?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

@sieanr, worldwide sales of PS3 in march are far beyond of xbox360.
so yeah, domination has started. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

That Guy said:
i miss my dreamcast! Oh wait I sitll have it! I'll probably play some tonight.

Giev sega systems on VC :(

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

CrazzyMan said:

@sieanr, worldwide sales of PS3 in march are far beyond of xbox360.

Can i screenshot this comment and use it like.. in the fall/winter of this year? :P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

And in april they're level again, with Wii heavely outselling them.

good ol' Digg.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The article makes me wonder how the PS2 did so well.  Heck, I've been wondering that for a long time.  :)

Neos said:
CrazzyMan said:

Can i screenshot this comment and use it like.. in the fall/winter of this year? :P

if MGS4 anf KZ2 will be released in 2007, yes you can. :)

koffieboon said:
CrazzyMan said:

And in april they're level again, with Wii heavely outselling them.

on april 8th, according to vgchartz it was 3.15 PS3 and 9.68 x360, and now ~ 3.22 PS3 and 9.71 x360. It still outselling. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

The author was (obviously) out to lunch and was not even paying attention to sales in regions the PS2 had launched in ...

The PS2 launched in Japan in March of 2000 and in 1 month nearly matched the Dreamcast's Japaneese userbase. by the time this article was written the PS2 was leading in Japan, sales of the Dreamcast had fallen off, and the PS2 was outselling the Dreamcast (weekly) at a rate of 4:1 ... Soon after this article was written the arthor would have noticed that (inspite of being supply constrained) the PS2 constantly outsold the Dreamcast.

What this article really demonstrates is that (pretty-much) anyone can become a writer and be taken seriously even if they don't know what they're talking about ...