By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Backs Estimates of 3 Million PS4 Units Sold This Year

Yeah...

Sony Corp. (6758), poised to release the PlayStation 4 game console this week, is confident it can meet analysts’ sales estimates of 3 million units by year-end, exploiting an early advantage over Microsoft Corp. (MSFT:US)’s Xbox One.

Sony will have adequate supplies of the $399 PS4 through Christmas and stands by earlier projections for sales of 5 million units by March, Jack Tretton, president and chief executive officer of the company’s U.S. computer entertainment division, said today in an interview.

“This is a marathon, not a sprint, but getting out to a nice start is a good thing to do,” Tretton said. “That hurdle has been cleared. We’re very, very confident we’re in great shape.”

Tretton’s remarks suggest Sony will avoid the supply problems that slowed early sales of the PlayStation 3 in 2006. The new console hits U.S. stores on Nov. 15, followed by Europe on Nov. 29, and will reach 32 countries for the holidays. Microsoft’s Xbox One will debut in 13 countries a week later, down from an original target of 21 markets.

Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Robert W. Baird & Co. in San Francisco, last month estimated each company would sell 3 million units worldwide this year.

“We’re very comfortable with it,” Tretton said. “I’m excited about next week to be able to talk about what was sold as opposed to what we may sell.”

Sony’s American depositary receipts fell 0.8 percent to $16.61 at the close in New York. Shares of the Tokyo-based company have advanced 48 percent this year.
Launch Test

In August, Microsoft delayed the release of the $499 Xbox One in eight countries, including Russia and the Netherlands, until 2014 to make sure it had enough supplies for larger markets.

Both companies have added online features to their new machines, infusing them with entertainment options such as access to movies and TV shows to make the devices the center of consumers’ living rooms.

Sony won praise earlier this year for its lower price, and keeping supplies flowing is crucial for its plan to get an early sales advantage.

“The only hurdle left that is not a non-issue until it’s over is launching the thing, having people engage with the network and it all goes very smoothly,” Tretton said.

Andrew House, head of Sony’s game operation worldwide, in September forecast sales of 5 million PS4 units by the company’s fiscal year-end in March.

Wayne Hickey, a spokesman for Microsoft, declined to comment on the company’s projection for Xbox One sales.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-11-11/sony-sees-sales-of-3-million-playstation-4-consoles-by-year-end

Around the Network

So 3 million in 2013 and 5 million for FY2013.

Damn so around 500-600k average weekly :D nice.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

I hope it is more than 3 mil and they are being conservative because I don't see them almost doubling the follow up quarter. I was thinking more like 4 mil this quarter and a million next quarter.

damn 3M only im gonna have a hard time finding one then :(

Play Me

Around the Network

But VGChartz only has room for 5 bars on the front page.

At that rate it will overtake Vita this year.

Very doable seen the current hype and interest the system has. Can't wait.

This also means that they have produced, at least 3 million units before 2014 even begins. Wow Sony is producing those things fast!! Nintendo was producing the Wii at 1 million units per month at it's peak.

When did Sony begin manufacturing the PS4?

Looking forward to it. Don't think 5 million is too much a stretch, wouldn't be surprised if it goes over that by March. Have a good feeling about the PS4 launch to be honest.

It's been too long a gen for me, be glad once its finally over and the next one starts :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

That would be a pretty damn good start if they could pull it off. I still can't get over how many extra countries they are launching in compared to the One. Dat coverage.

Oh geez only 3m by years end. It's gonna be tough to find one, and I'd say the same for next year to March. Oh well I'm hoping to land a preorder on a potential inFamous bundle.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)