By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Factor five wii game is.....casual....as casual as possible.

After Lair, don't expect a miracle.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
It's not that I hate casual games, but come on. Huge developer, high technical prowess, and they are making something uber casual. It might not be terrible, but it's dissapointing that they are taking the easy route.

Actually they're taking the hard way. Unless it's Pilotwings or something very similar, they're doing something new for them. Easy route would be doing the same as they have always done. Besides, "as casual as possible" may mean by their scale, what they can do. Also, i wouldn't call Blast Corps casual. Having an original idea doesn't mean a game would be casual. @Zen: I think you're right. I got the impession too that it isn't Pilotwings. I'd bet Kid Icarus, if F5 would be doing it. @Venepe: I'd say it hints the game being Kid Icarus. Think what kind of game Kid Icarus would be in 3D and compare it to Rebel Strike. And in any case, engine and game mechanics of Rebel Strike propably can be used as a base for Wii game/engine, even if the game wouldn't be Kid Icarus.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

The_vagabond7 said:
The guys at IGN on the podcast, said they just got Rebel strike working on wii as a side project while working on the development for this game, they didn't say anything about selling it.

they might as well sell it, I mean they already went thru the cost of porting it or whatever they did, it would be a good way to make their money back.  It would make a great "budget" title.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

It doesn't sound like a mini-game collection OR Pilot Wings at ALL.

I really, really love the pointing aspect of the remote. Although we're going to use everything for what we have in development, I think the pointing stuff is probably the biggest innovation which we're working on right now.

We're pretty much at a state where we're almost done with the engine. At the same time, we've also been working on content quite a bit because we had enough running very quickly on the platform that we were able to. But the biggest milestone or mark right now is that we're almost done with the engine and it does everything that the PS3 did and then some, quite frankly. So we're pretty happy with that.

"We'd never give up on the idea of making a flying game. Maybe a pure flight game, I don't know about that because it limits you a little bit. Flight can be involved, though -- our engine is strong around it. If it lends itself and the game design to it, it certainly can be an element.

"Whatever we're working on will at least blow you away in a lot of the technical aspects. We're really trying to do everything to squeeze the maximum out of the machine. I'm also hoping we're going to pay respect to what the console is all about, which is the innovation in terms of controls, in terms of accessibility, new experiences, things like that. We're really, really trying hard. I hope it's going to pay off. In terms of what we're working on; is it for third-party publishers, is it for a Nintendo first-party, what title is it? I won't give you a clue.

Casual game, big focus on pointing aspect moreso than motion controls, robust engine, not a pure flight game. Sounds like they MAY have a specific partner and project lined up, maybe first party. Visually stunning, of course. Doesn't sound like Pilot Wings to me. Doesn't sound like mini-games either. Doesn't even really sound like Kid Icarus.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Yeah, to clarify:

Casual does not mean Mini-Game collection.

Dont' hate on Factor 5 just yet, they're not necessarily Nintendo loyalists, but they are as close as they can get without actually being exclusive developers.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I feel like I keep saying this but:

casual = generally accessible

gameplay mechanics that anyone can approach and the number of mechanics are usually limited in terms of the number people need to know in order to complete the game. Casual games also usually have a rating that doesn't try to cut out any of the potential audiance (E)

however, simple mechanics can have depth and the game can still be littered with content. 

edit: damn you ZenFoldorVGI, beating me to the punch, haha.

Allegedly Lair was a casual game according to them to wasn't it? Or was that Sony's definition?

i despise casual games. i like the real hardcore stuff like endless ocean.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

What difference does it make. I mean if it is good I will buy it.

My top 10 favourite games list consists of Wii Sports and Zelda and TimeSplitters next to each other.

Casual does not mean bad!

By their means of casual, I'm certain I'm casual, or at least more casual than core.

IMO, SMG>TP >>>>> Wii sports >>Mp3>>>Wii play>>>Chicken Shoot>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE4.

Re4 and Mp3 are core titles, but I don't like them at all. I generally dislike all core games, the mid games are good, so are casual, but core games simply suck.

My problem, is that games are supposed to be a fun thing. Happy enviorments = doubled fun. Re4 enviorments = 1/250 fun. If Re4 was set in TP world, I'm sure I would have liked it, but then again, it wouldn't have been Re4.

The only real core games I'm going to like, that are announced, are Godfather:BhE, Zack and Wiki and FE:RD. So being a casual game, great news for me, great for sales :) MORE CASUAL FOR WII!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS