By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Report: Xbone voice commands don't work like advertised. Requires repetition.

It's obvious Microsoft are bribing The Verge, IGN and Penny Arcade.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I expected nothing else. I've never seen a completely flawless voice command system.

Over the last month, I've had two rage-inducing moments with voice command phone systems. One was at work, which was annoying, but the other was even worse. The system could not understand me saying "no", which is ridiculous, then it would just kick me back to asking again. I repeated the word "no" over ten times before I was finally able to get out of the loop and get a live agent. By that time I was thoroughly pissed off.

I have zero interest in voice commands unless they're going to be perfect.

This. Oh this so much. I dread the moment i ever need to use 411 ever again. Or when i need to call the power company and say my 10 diggit phone number. "Did you say..." No you fucking fuck i clearly said something completely different

Nsanity said:

That can never happen, right?

bubblegamer said:
Nsanity said:

That can never happen, right?

legaly nope...unless it is obviously stated it is an infomercial.... 99% of press sponsored support is a complete myth whatever the product or newspaper/magazine we are talking about... the 1% left is utterly illegal and probably directly done by the journalist and not the press outlet itslef....

heck even the current Kinect works better than what he says about Kinect 2... so I have a hard time to believe what he is saysing.... then again if the guy is talking like that : "blablablablablablablbalabalaXBOXONblalalalalalaa"
chances it didn't work which makes complete sense BTW....

what I love about that article is the 35/45 voice command... that means the command scheme is really deep which is nice to know.... my battery will last way longer and i'll be able to do even more stuff conveniently than I can already today with the Kinect 1

Around the Network

People are being awfully silly with the "this other place had no problems so the first article was lying" stuff. One does not negate the other. It's more than possible that one person might have problems while another does not. In fact, that's highly probable. People speak differently, sometimes very differently, which has always been the problem with voice commands. THAT is the point, especially when we're talking about events that are carefully controlled by Microsoft. Any random customer who takes it home might end up having a frustrating time getting Kinect to understand them. The same with the Playstation Eye. Anyone who doesn't think problems can occur with voice command systems is just fooling themselves.

endimion said:
heck even the current Kinect works better than what he says about Kinect 2... so I have a hard time to believe what he is saysing.... then again if the guy is talking like that : "blablablablablablablbalabalaXBOXONblalalalalalaa"
chances it didn't work which makes complete sense BTW....

what I love about that article is the 35/45 voice command... that means the command scheme is really deep which is nice to know.... my battery will last way longer and i'll be able to do even more stuff conveniently than I can already today with the Kinect 1

Please tell me whatever was so inconvenient about picking up a controller and pushing three buttons to have the system turn on and sign you in and boot up a game.

But the kid who got the Xbox One earlier said that the Kinect was amazing and even responded to a person he was skyping with on his computer?

pokoko said:
I expected nothing else. I've never seen a completely flawless voice command system.

Over the last month, I've had two rage-inducing moments with voice command phone systems. One was at work, which was annoying, but the other was even worse. The system could not understand me saying "no", which is ridiculous, then it would just kick me back to asking again. I repeated the word "no" over ten times before I was finally able to get out of the loop and get a live agent. By that time I was thoroughly pissed off.

I have zero interest in voice commands unless they're going to be perfect.

Usually if you just yell at the system a bit with random words/gibberish it'll connect you to someone who can connect you to who you actually need to talk to if they are not it. A few don't let you do that but most (I've used) do as they know that 100% of the people calling in can't be understood by a machine and need a back door method to speak to someone real.

I dont think anybody here thinks that the system is going to be perfect. People are now talking and they are imprressed. From what we have been reading from other sources it looks like everything works the way its supposed to. This is the only 1 I have seen that came away with another impression. Not saying anybody is lying about anything but wtih even the guy who got the early Xbox also saying it worked its kinda hard to belive it does not.