By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo gamers shouldn't care about specs anymore

How about it is it all about Nintendo games and not about speculate specs?

Hell yeah I'm with you i... 103 44.98%

Nah I love arguing with a... 20 8.73%

It's about the games...b... 54 23.58%

quality over quantity thu... 51 22.27%

Total:228
Zero999 said:

And to the user who said diminishing returns only apply to polygons, don't say such nonsense. we can only have so much with graphics in general. there's a point (that was already reached) where it takes much more power and resources to make something look slightly better. just look at the specs difference for PCs to run THE SAME GAME at low, medium, high, ultra.

I have to professionally disagree. It will take less than a year for these silly diminishing returns arguments to end.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Zero999 said:

And to the user who said diminishing returns only apply to polygons, don't say such nonsense. we can only have so much with graphics in general. there's a point (that was already reached) where it takes much more power and resources to make something look slightly better. just look at the specs difference for PCs to run THE SAME GAME at low, medium, high, ultra.

I have to professionally disagree. It will take less than a year for these silly diminishing returns arguments to end.

Oh yeah, the truth will come out that good looking PS4 games won´t make the best efforts of the last consoles look like crap

orniletter said:
JoeTheBro said:
Zero999 said:

Oh yeah, the truth will come out that good looking PS4 games won´t make the best efforts of the last consoles look like crap

Neither did the best PS3 games.

Each console has strengths and weaknesses. Many here claim that the Gamecube is more powerful than ps2 and I would agree with that due to its more powerful cpu and higher memory bandwidth generally but this for example would be impossible on gamecube and wii. For a start the ps2 had 32bit colour graphics not the 24bit of gamecube/wii. The ps2 had true 5.1 sound not 2 channel sound like gamecube and wii and the tiny 2MB frame buffer of the gamecube/wii certainly couldn't hold a 1080i, 1920x1080 image like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uCOnFaxli0

Specs are important and personally I believe it should be a legal requirement that full spec's are given out for consoles by the manufacturer. Spec's aren't everything but they do give a good indication of how powerful a console is. When the Gamecube was released Nintendo were more than happy to give out that information but clearly they have lost that honesty and nowadays sell quite weak hardware at inflated prices to maximise profits. I'm a wii u owner and I'm enjoying it, but clearly its weak hardware and is barely matching current gen a lot of the time and so the idea that somehow its competitive with ps4 and xbox one is clearly ridiculous and typical fanboy insanity. I am certainly looking forward to mario kart and mario 3d though.

It is important that people realise the wii u isn't powerful or isn't widely supported by publishers. Some people may buy a wii u believing it is comparable to ps4 or xbox one in performance and expect to purchase games of a similar technical standard. It is unfair and dishonest to present the wii u as such a console. The wii u is a console for Nintendo games and a few other exclusive games that may become available and not much else. As long as you buy a wii u with that in mind there isn't a problem.

I'm a wii u owner but would never misinform people about the performance of the console because I'm not a fanboy and don't wish them to buy something wrong for them. For many people the price of a console is still a lot of money.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
se7en7thre3 said:
That's bull IMO. As a Nintendo first fan, I want the ultimate console : exclusives and top notch 3rd party multiplats. I want flexibility in my buying options. I do not want to be FORCED into buying other consoles, because of their superior multiplats. If I want to buy in for MSony's exclusives, I may or may not do so. Nintendo not competing spec wise, forces consumers to put down big money for a competing console, and the multiplat games. That money could be going into Ninty's pocket. But they are not confident enough in competing with the big boys, apparently.

IMO, the only way Ninty competes in specs again, is if one of MS/Sony bows out the console business. Honestly, even if Wii U fails, ninty is too stubborn to realize their flaw, and will just try a different approach (possibly a gaming tablet)

QFT! Nintendo really forced their gamers to go elsewhere because they refuse to work with third parties. Do you know how many people would buy Nintendo alone if they didnt have to run elsewhere just for third party?

third parties refused to work with nintendo, not the other way around.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
se7en7thre3 said:
That's bull IMO. As a Nintendo first fan, I want the ultimate console : exclusives and top notch 3rd party multiplats. I want flexibility in my buying options. I do not want to be FORCED into buying other consoles, because of their superior multiplats. If I want to buy in for MSony's exclusives, I may or may not do so. Nintendo not competing spec wise, forces consumers to put down big money for a competing console, and the multiplat games. That money could be going into Ninty's pocket. But they are not confident enough in competing with the big boys, apparently.

IMO, the only way Ninty competes in specs again, is if one of MS/Sony bows out the console business. Honestly, even if Wii U fails, ninty is too stubborn to realize their flaw, and will just try a different approach (possibly a gaming tablet)

QFT! Nintendo really forced their gamers to go elsewhere because they refuse to work with third parties. Do you know how many people would buy Nintendo alone if they didnt have to run elsewhere just for third party?

I used to think the same as you until I actually did my research.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zero999 said:

I've seen you and ROl argue on this subject before, and ROl won.

Play4Fun said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zero999 said:

I've seen you and ROl argue on this subject before, and ROl won.

Whatever you say. I would implore you to look up Nintendos history as a company. This series of videos should provide the basics. I used to defend Nintendo but I learned my lesson. Sometimes the truth hurts. Nintendo when we speak of them alone is a great company. They can almost do no wrong there, but when it comes to dealing with others even in their hey day they didnt not work well with others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0gNaUib4UU&list=PL9ssjqxSNcQ86iN6knh5mzmxYSHodtb3-

LOL...funny how haters are still trying to get Nintendo fans to argue about specs even on this thread. The point to this is that IT DOESN'T matter how many polys the Wii U is pushing as Wii U games will be able to craft visually appealing games in HD!!! The Wii U's deficiency to PS4 (esp in the case of the X1) won't matter as all consoles will have very similar effects and the difference won't be as drastic as Wii vs X360!!! Besides I don't care how many polys the Wii U is pushing when I am playing games that look like this:

Everyone should care about specs, as they drive games forward. Developers have more scope for their games if they have more power. Console makers should push for hardware on the powerful side so early adopters and enthusiasts can drive the prices down for everyone else, and there isn't a disadvantage for everyone else as the previous gen doesn't just disappear in the meantime.

What Nintendo seems to be doing with the Wii U is try and cut the legs off the PS360, rather than compete directly with the PS4 and XB1. It's a valid strategy, but doesn't give developers much to look forward to.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89