By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will WiiU Have Any Exclusive Games Sell 10mil+ Lifetime? If So Name Which Games!

marley said:

My logic is poor?  You're comparing the selling power of a game that sold 8.37M to 36.6M customers (attach 23%) and saying it's not as strong as games that sold 10-20M to 300M customers (attach ~ 6.7%).  The ONLY case that you can find where MK is outsold by those other IPs, is when it's cross generational and handhelds vs. consoles.  Your logic is not only faulty, but it's disaffirmed by data and history. 

5th generation: Mario Kart 64 - 9.87M / Fifa - 1.87M

6th generation: Mario Kart DD - 6.95M & 5.47M / CoD ~3M,  Fifa ~5M, AC didn't exist. 

7th generation: Mario Kart Wii - 33.86M & 22.59M / CoD 3 - 28.94M, Fifa 13 - 13.45M, AC ~10M

8th generation (so far): Mario Kart 7 - 8.37M / (PSV,Wiiu,3ds) CoD - .98M, AC - .97M, Fifa 1.37M <---(no good comparison yet)

Do you see the pattern?  I won't even bother posting the attach rates, but I assure you, they don't help your claim.  "Mario Kart Wii is a one-off" that has happened EVERY generation since it's release.  You can't compare Mario Kart 7, on a recently released system with a young userbase, to games that released on EVERY system with very established userbases, to determine the selling strength of an IP.  It's a disingenuous comparison at best. 

You may want to believe that those other IPs are larger, because at some point when they release in the 8th gen they MAY outsell MK (due to a potentially larger userbase), but as of right now that's just wishful thinking.  Your original point was that MK couldn't compete on other systems, when all data shows that it already competes with a much smaller userbase (because of selling power).  Just look at the jump the larger userbase caused between the Gamecube and Wii, and then try to pretend it wouldn't be able to compete with an equivilent 300M userbase.

This is my final response to your one sentence rebuttals, which amount to nothing more than 'it's this way because I want it to be'.

You might want to check your facts. Fifa 12 or 13 sold 14.5M. AC3 sold 12M in a few months. CoD usually reaches 20M.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
marley said:

My logic is poor?  You're comparing the selling power of a game that sold 8.37M to 36.6M customers (attach 23%) and saying it's not as strong as games that sold 10-20M to 300M customers (attach ~ 6.7%).  The ONLY case that you can find where MK is outsold by those other IPs, is when it's cross generational and handhelds vs. consoles.  Your logic is not only faulty, but it's disaffirmed by data and history. 

5th generation: Mario Kart 64 - 9.87M / Fifa - 1.87M

6th generation: Mario Kart DD - 6.95M & 5.47M / CoD ~3M,  Fifa ~5M, AC didn't exist. 

7th generation: Mario Kart Wii - 33.86M & 22.59M / CoD 3 - 28.94M, Fifa 13 - 13.45M, AC ~10M

8th generation (so far): Mario Kart 7 - 8.37M / (PSV,Wiiu,3ds) CoD - .98M, AC - .97M, Fifa 1.37M <---(no good comparison yet)

Do you see the pattern?  I won't even bother posting the attach rates, but I assure you, they don't help your claim.  "Mario Kart Wii is a one-off" that has happened EVERY generation since it's release.  You can't compare Mario Kart 7, on a recently released system with a young userbase, to games that released on EVERY system with very established userbases, to determine the selling strength of an IP.  It's a disingenuous comparison at best. 

You may want to believe that those other IPs are larger, because at some point when they release in the 8th gen they MAY outsell MK (due to a potentially larger userbase), but as of right now that's just wishful thinking.  Your original point was that MK couldn't compete on other systems, when all data shows that it already competes with a much smaller userbase (because of selling power).  Just look at the jump the larger userbase caused between the Gamecube and Wii, and then try to pretend it wouldn't be able to compete with an equivilent 300M userbase.

This is my final response to your one sentence rebuttals, which amount to nothing more than 'it's this way because I want it to be'.

You might want to check your facts. Fifa 12 or 13 sold 14.5M. AC3 sold 12M in a few months. CoD usually reaches 20M.

Which facts should I check?  I listed 13.45M for Fifa 13 - ACCURATE.  I listed 28.94M for CoD - ACCURATE.  Those are both the highest iterations they had for the generation (and ever), which is why I used them.  Present some real information or quit trolling.

Call of Duty 28.94M - http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Call+of+Duty%3A+Modern+Warfare+3&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Fifa 12 12.48M - http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=fifa+soccer+12&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Fifa 13 13.45M - http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=fifa+soccer+13&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200