By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey > Blue Dragon on Gamerankings.com

DMeisterJ said:
@ mrstickball

yeah, i do own bd, but I didn't finish it, it's an okay game, so this game is only a little better than that. And I didn't like that game.

You know is a little better based on...

Around the Network

I received my copy of Lost Odyssey today if not an instant seller it is sure to be a cult hit. The man said it the game is merely window dressing for the story not that the game play is in any way unrewarding. The story is just that wonderfully done that it outshines everything else. Some more solid advice what ever you do don't skip those memory sequences they are truly soul stirring. This game has had me travel the highway of my emotions from crying at a particular passage, or laughing at a characters colorful dialog. This game really does get you emotionally invested.

This game was supposed to be westernized, and honestly they have done a really top notch job at doing that. The worst and most tedious elements aren't there, and the experience is streamlined and fluid edging on the linear which keeps the experience balanced. For those that say this design was a step back I say to you if this is going backwards I don't want to go forward.

I am really loving these design choices. I love not having a thousand loot containers. I love that my combat is being measured out to me. Which means the combat stays fresh, challenging, and in the end engaging. The game even rewards you for changing up your style in different situations. There are no I win buttons to exploit. Some battles absolutely conflict with your existing style forcing you to adapt. I have had a few battles where I had to reverse the rolls of my characters tanks healing, and the healing class dealing damage with area attacks, because the tanks can't do the damage to an ever expanding mob. That is kind of clever not letting the player take things for granted.

The leveling is engaging actually giving the player a lot of thinking to do. The inventory is simply a dream to navigate. Playing around with your items is almost an educational experience. They have even managed to change up the game play from time to time. There are a number of simple yet entertaining puzzles, stealth elements, and the real time combat timing is almost twitch in nature. Scoring a perfect hit is just another fun aspect.

I am not sure what game some of these reviewers were playing it can't be the same game I am playing right now. The game hasn't felt tedious once. I couldn't even say that about Mass Effect. The game is so simple, and so intuitive it has to be almost universally fun. I would go so far to say if they gave Blue Dragon which is a fun game higher marks then this game. I really want to know what they are smoking that can twist their perceptions so.

This game is hardly Blue Dragon except for the good elements they ripped from it, and it just doesn't seem to be tedious. I haven't felt like I was doing a chore once, or going through something painful to get to the good part. This really is a fresh departure from the current library.

I highly recommend that anyone who owns a 360 should consider buying this game, or at least renting it. Hopefully there are some unlocked memories on youtube at some point in the near future so some of you can see how heart wrenching the writing really is. Really its fantastic how poignant a page of this simple text can be.

@dodece
Thanks for the impressions as basically so far everyone here in vgchartz has given rave impressions. Can't wait to get it.

ive had a few hours with it

these reviewers are nuts, 5/10 youve got to be fucking kidding me, im so danm sick of reviewers just attacking turn based jrpgs just because they are turned base.

Ill give a impression tomorrow, but ill tell you right now that im highly impressed

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Bingoo said:
ive had a few hours with it

these reviewers are nuts, 5/10 youve got to be fucking kidding me, im so danm sick of reviewers just attacking turn based jrpgs just because they are turned base.

Ill give a impression tomorrow, but ill tell you right now that im highly impressed
 I totally agree with this assessment.  Its been long overdue for this kind of jRPG.  The technical issues with the UE3 are alot less than Mass Effect, and load times are alot better than I was expecting.  But I predicted it, they would let these issues slide with ME, but not LO because of the type of game.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

@ CrazzyMan

Maybe if you have yet to play either game in this thread ohhh I dont know.. stfu?

You have got to be kidding me frame rate problems? I just spent the last 5 hours playing LO. There is not a single Frame rate issue. Your a god damn moron.

/endrant

I just beat the snake thingy in front of the tower. Thats one tough *sob* had to reload a save point and put the anti petrification ring on. With out it... Good Luck!

LO rocks!! 9.5/10 imo

Good to see so many impressions. Seems like alot more people are getting this then Blue Dragon which is a good sign in terms of sales. I hardly watch TV but this game getting some TV ads?

@elendar

That snake was really impressive, and will probably be one of my favorite boss battles of all time. That battle felt truly epic, and involved making a lot of smart moves, and more importantly you had to have your characters customized correctly. I failed to defeat it twice, and the second iteration feels like a gut punch.

I too had to return to a save point. First I took a little more time to level up with a few smaller battles. Then I returned to Uhra to buy some more items. Finally I had to really consider what skills and equipment I needed to equip. Imagine that the economy is this game really matters. You need to go shopping. Running out of magical medicine is a serious concern.

I just finished the White Boa stage which is equally enjoyable. Imagine the palace garden stage from the Ocarina of time.

mrstickball said:
elnino - I think the issue is that most western reviewers are just too tired of traditional JRPGs to ever really review them favorably (unlike Japanese reviewers).

Everyone will clamor "but Persona 3!" - yet that was Atlus's first SMT game in years to come to the west, and was very different.

The worst tragedy is the fact that Eternal Sonata got a much higher score than either thus far (about 82.5% on GR) - which leads me to believe they never, ever play the game all the way through. ES, despite being great the first 5 hours, gets repetitive, and the story at the end is a joke.

So anymore, unless it's radically different (like Persona 3), or has Square Enix backing, it typically doesn't do well. A similar game such as Final Fantasy X can score in the upper 80s, but LO struggles to get to the 80s. Is that fair for a game that is equal in most areas as FFX?

To be fair, Persona 3 was the first major SMT game to come out in years... (Digital Devil Saga 2 was the last one before it...)

As good as FFX is such a poor endorsement.

elnino334 said:
As soon as I get my free copy of Halo 3 I am trading it in for this one. Only knock I seen on it is the technical stuff which a number of people here have said hasn't been issue. In terms of the story is up to the individual to decide if they like it or not similar to a movie. I recalled people whining about Blue Dragon's story yet I really enjoyed it. I am just glad 40+ hour rpgs are still being made even if they don't "innovate" they offer a different take on figthing turned based which is what all the older rpgs used to do anyways. Funny thing once we get this "innovation" people will find someway to bitch about it.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

you said everything i was gonna say......now i must not talk i think......