By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey > Blue Dragon on Gamerankings.com

i really hope this game sells well. I'm not the biggest Jrpg fan, but i like to play some every now and then. To me, this game looks like it has a lot of promise.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
CrazzyMan said:
interesting,
all who gaved BD higher score, gave LO lower and vice versa.
probably a matter of taste. =))
because both games have framerate problems.

Blue Dragon has framerate problems? When? I played the game for over 35 hours and never saw it hitch once.

That was mentioned in Gametrailers review. =) p.s. not all peopel are able to tell difference between 30 and 60 fps, not all see slowdowns. )

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
rocketpig said:
CrazzyMan said:
interesting,
all who gaved BD higher score, gave LO lower and vice versa.
probably a matter of taste. =))
because both games have framerate problems.

Blue Dragon has framerate problems? When? I played the game for over 35 hours and never saw it hitch once.

That was mentioned in Gametrailers review. =) p.s. not all peopel are able to tell difference between 30 and 60 fps, not all see slowdowns. )

In a genre like the RPG, I don't consider anything a slowdown until it drops below 30fps. Shit, I'm not even sure BD runs higher than 30fps. There's no real point in it because twitch gaming is the only real need for framerates that high. Without the game in front of me (viva la RRoD), I can't go check it.

BTW, I can tell the difference between 30 & 60 fps. After 15 years of playing shooters, I would hope I can tell the difference. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

It does make sense. In the western view, Cartoony = kiddy (The first line of the 1up review as proof), although Blue Dragon was a great game when the first disc was completed.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Final - not quite true. Eternal Sonata (cell shaded) got a higher score. So did Dragon Quest 8...Both are "cartoony".

Also, Crazzy - I don't understand why your questioning the whole "places that gave LO a higher score gave BD a lower score" - do you really think 2 games in very different styles would get the exact same score? Some places gave ME a higher score than Oblivion, and vice versa.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92553

"8/10. Notice that this is Eurogamer which can be quite harsh with some of their RPG reviews. For example, BD got 5/10 and ME 8/10. " peelopallo

@mrstickball, don`t you see the trend? =)

all who gaved BD 80+ score, gaved 80- to LO, and vice versa.
well maybe except TeamXbox, but well this is expected from xbox oriented site. =)

gamesradar gaved 6.
xplay could also gave 3/5, but that is not 100%. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I have already played Blue Dragon, and I have already ordered my copy of Lost Odyssey. I would have picked it up, but the weather outside is god awful. Driving last night was a white knuckle experience in itself. Thankfully I have no pressing reason to go out today, or even a need to go out tomorrow. Let the delivery man risk his life.

Obviously I still need to play the game, and over the past week I have cracked out Blue Dragon. Any of my gamer friends can attest to that. So I am hoping to have a real relevant timely comparison some time by the end of next week. Seeing as I will have both games fresh in my mind by that point.

At the moment my hopes are that the game will have a better story or at the very least a more mature one. The combat systems will be more intuitive, and more thought provoking. I have read there is something like a pseudo crafting system at play. Character customization is always preferable to pure level based systems. Finally I want more cut scenes those are the real rewards in the games like this.

So far in going through Blue Dragon I have noticed a number of issues I did not recognize last time, and some qualities I had over looked. I hope some of the balance issues are resolved in Lost Odyssey. I want honest meaningful balance, and I want combat to be more rewarding as in the rewards. I really appreciate how effective the flee command is in Blue Dragon. Not that I am running from a dangerous foe. I am rather trying to get out of a pointless combat, or one with little reward for the trouble involved.

I slaughtered three hundred Roballs today, because I want to unlock some achievements down the line like fully leveled characters. The reason I slaughtered three hundred Roballs is that its far easier to level up shadows off one hit kills and chained battles rather then fighting enemies at my level, or that might pose a challenge. Further more the weaklings have a chronic propensity for dropping decent treasures. Which I can sell to unlock the millionaire achievement.

Anyway after doing this. I happily spent thirty minutes battling the tree in Devour village. I knew it was a doomed effort and I fully expect its utterly impossible. However the challenge had me fully stoked, and had me burning through hard earned loot. I was shocked that I was actually making headway until a couple well timed critical hits took me down. Anyone who has played the game understands this is a Kobayashi Maru scenario. However it was wonderful to have combat that felt challenging, and more to the point like it was an accomplishment. Rather then slaughtering helpless opponents.

That is my biggest hope is a more balanced reward system to keep the combat honest.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/lostodyssey/review.html?sid=6185925&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

GameSpot Score
good

Lost Odyssey doesn't rewrite the rules for turn-based role-playing games, but its great story and minor formula tweaks will keep you entertained.
The Good

* Kaim is a great hero, and his supporting cast is equally appealing
* Text flashbacks are well written and emotionally gripping
* Spell and skill development is handled deftly.

The Bad

* Unacceptably long load times and poor frame rate
* Protracted battle intros and other frustrations break up the pace
* Some nonbattle gameplay elements are boring, pointless, or needlessly frustrating.

I enjoyed BD a lot... Hoping LO lives up to the same level. I played BD for many hours. My copy of LO comes in later this week and have the weekend set aside for it.