By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF: Wii U GPU 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs and 8 ROPs

Daisuke72 said:
The Wii U is more efficient than the PS3 and Xbox 360, and has more RAM as well, so of course it'll have better looking games, but honestly, just barely.

In short, Ninjablade was right, the Wii U is on par with current gen, Nintendo fans seriously owe him an apology.

please NB blade have never ever been right

and you know it... stop derailing the topic with trolling the world biggest joke  there ever was/been

Baaaaaahhh F*ck it

I'm better then 99% of you when it comes to games so... there...:)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

People who say Espresso is three overclocked Broadways miss one very important factor; Espresso has 12 times as much L2 cache as Broadway.

What ? It's just cache! Cache is a form of memory to reduce hits in performance by storing small amounts of frequently accessed data so that accessing it will be faster. Cache isn't some sort of unit for computing y'know.

Cache is an important factor in chip efficiency and hence computing performance. 12x as much cache is a huge advantage.

Yep, agreed cache does matter but computing performance is determined by many factors such as the execution units, the branch predictors, and other things such as decode units. Cache will essentially maintain a more theoretical performance rather than increase but that's not a bad thing. 

If you had 3 Broadways clocked at 1.24GHz with their normal amount of cache each (256kb a piece, so 768kb total) and ran it against Espresso, (which has 3MB cache) the increase in cache would hand a definite advantage to Espresso.

curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

People who say Espresso is three overclocked Broadways miss one very important factor; Espresso has 12 times as much L2 cache as Broadway.

What ? It's just cache! Cache is a form of memory to reduce hits in performance by storing small amounts of frequently accessed data so that accessing it will be faster. Cache isn't some sort of unit for computing y'know.

Cache is an important factor in chip efficiency and hence computing performance. 12x as much cache is a huge advantage.

Yep, agreed cache does matter but computing performance is determined by many factors such as the execution units, the branch predictors, and other things such as decode units. Cache will essentially maintain a more theoretical performance rather than increase but that's not a bad thing. 

If you had 3 Broadways clocked at 1.24GHz with their normal amount of cache each (256kb a piece, so 768kb total) and ran it against Espresso, (which has 3MB cache) the increase in cache would hand a definite advantage to Espresso.

True because the espresso can store more data locally. 

snowdog said:
That's why I said an evolution of the TEV Unit. It's the only reason I can think of why the ALUs are too large for a 160 ALU chip. There's extra logic in there, and it has to do something. And it would also explain why the power draw is so low and why a tiny 8 bit co-processor is needed to run Wii games.

Some units may be disabled y'know. Each GPU manufacturer may do this because of poor yields on certain parts. The hd 7970 and the 7950 use the SAME DIE but the hd 7950 is weaker because of some photolithographic mistakes. They can't have all billions of transistors being placed perfectly or printed correctly so they'll essentailly disable the units where there are mistakes to sell the new unit at a lower price to reduce costs on manufacturing. 

I doubt that very much. It's on a 40nm process so yields will be exceptional.

Naum said:
Daisuke72 said:
The Wii U is more efficient than the PS3 and Xbox 360, and has more RAM as well, so of course it'll have better looking games, but honestly, just barely.

In short, Ninjablade was right, the Wii U is on par with current gen, Nintendo fans seriously owe him an apology.

and you know it... stop derailing the topic with trolling the world biggest joke  there ever was/been

Baaaaaahhh F*ck it

Where was he wrong? The entire time he was telling Nintendo fans the Wii U's hardware is on par with current gen, and that turned out to be the case. The fans simply didn't like his persistance and will deny it, even tho games show otherwise.

Also I can't believe some people in this community really insult him like they do, he's another human being, not a white person in a Spike Lee movie. Grow up. 

Around the Network
Daisuke72 said:
Naum said:
Daisuke72 said:

Baaaaaahhh F*ck it

Where was he wrong? The entire time he was telling Nintendo fans the Wii U's hardware is on par with current gen, and that turned out to be the case. The fans simply didn't like his persistance and will deny it, even tho games show otherwise.

Also I can't believe some people in this community really insult him like they do, he's another human being, not a white person in a Spike Lee movie. Grow up. 

Well I wouldn't say on par to be fair but it does have a leg up compared to the PS360 and pemalite would also agree with me too because he's also a "know how" too LOL.

snowdog said:
snowdog said:
That's why I said an evolution of the TEV Unit. It's the only reason I can think of why the ALUs are too large for a 160 ALU chip. There's extra logic in there, and it has to do something. And it would also explain why the power draw is so low and why a tiny 8 bit co-processor is needed to run Wii games.

Some units may be disabled y'know. Each GPU manufacturer may do this because of poor yields on certain parts. The hd 7970 and the 7950 use the SAME DIE but the hd 7950 is weaker because of some photolithographic mistakes. They can't have all billions of transistors being placed perfectly or printed correctly so they'll essentailly disable the units where there are mistakes to sell the new unit at a lower price to reduce costs on manufacturing. 

I doubt that very much. It's on a 40nm process so yields will be exceptional.

True but at the same time nintendo came with a bigger DIE too. It's not just the graphics processor that has being integrated to the silicon. The eDRAM also took up quite a bit of space too and when you make DIEs bigger it becomes harder to get a better yield. Yield also scales with die sizes too but not just time.

So my guess is that nintendo decided to go for making the eDRAM a priority rather than making more shaders functional. 

He was wrong. More than 3 times more cache for the GPU, 3 times more cache for the CPU, a DSP, an out-of-order execution CPU, a CPU with half the stages in its pipeline, a DX11-equivalent feature set and 4 times the RAM says he was wrong.

And if that isn't enough then Sonic Racing Transformed, Need For Speed Most Wanted, the gimping of Rayman Legends removing half of those black things from the swarm so that it would run on the PS3 and 360, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU all say he's wrong.

If I remember correctly the space taken by the ALUs is 90% larger than it needs to be. It has nothing to do with allowing for poor yields.

Anyway, I'm off to bed!

snowdog said:
He was wrong. More than 3 times more cache for the GPU, 3 times more cache for the CPU, a DSP, an out-of-order execution CPU, a CPU with half the stages in its pipeline, a DX11-equivalent feature set and 4 times the RAM says he was wrong.

And if that isn't enough then Sonic Racing Transformed, Need For Speed Most Wanted, the gimping of Rayman Legends removing half of those black things from the swarm so that it would run on the PS3 and 360, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU all say he's wrong.

He always said the Wii U had the advantage in RAM, and overall efficiency. So? At the end of the day the Wii U is closer to current gen than it is next, and it's alot closer to current, which was his initial point, which you tried arguing and still are.