By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's With Wii's Low Review Scores?

Many party games DO review well because their good. Wii play is terrible and wii sports is too bare bones, once these party games garner the productions values ALL other titles are held to, then maybe they will ya know, score well. Games like poker smash are FAR superior to wii play and that was made by like two guys.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

Around the Network

Look this is the way I see it. Take a party game like Smash Brothers Melee, which is virtually perfect at everything it does. Like the game or not, it's a well made game with very few flaws, it's has a ton of depth and excels in every area. This is a 9/10 caliber game.

Take a game like Mario Party, another party game that doesn't score as high, the game has a TON of flaws that have been apparent since the N64 versions that have never been changed, the controls for the Wii version don't even work as advertised and feel really tacked on, the game lacks content compared to other MP games in the series, the consistent problem of playing against the AI is still present in this version, the mini games repeat themselves very often. I'm a big Mario Party fan and I loved the original 2 but the Wii version has some very apparent flaws and this game surely isn't 9-10 material.

Same goes for Wii Play, the reason it sells so much is because it comes with a Wii controller. I've never heard anyone say a positive thing about Wii Play aside from praising 1 of the 9 games. The game has no depth, the controls are poor for some of the mini-games, and often times there is no creativity in the games at all. This game, fun or not, does not deserve an 8-10 either.

Critical theory would support what I'm saying in this case. There are plenty of party games that score well, most just aren't on the Wii so there MUST be some kind of problem with reviewers.

Now someone tell me why games like Mario Party, Wii Play, Big Brain Academy or Wii Sports deserves a 10 without bringing their opinion into play. That means you can't just say 'it's so much fun it's a 10'. You have to prove that these are extremely well made games that are the pinnacle of the genre, do almost everything correctly, are full of content and offer great gameplay. Have fun trying to argue that Mario Party and Wii Play deserve the same scores as something like Super Smash Brothers Brawl. 

Edouble24 said:
That Mario Galaxy was a great game but man it was just too linear!

RARGH GARCIAN SMASH!!

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Scene it is another example, it didn't score well despite the fact it is fun and works in every way, why? Because it isn't a very deep title, it has no online whatsoever, the questions will repeat over time and it has bad graphics. Somehow this is supposed to score a 10 when games like brawl which have online, full scale single and multi, co op, excellent graphics and TONS to unlock or do? Just because it's 'fun'?

Get into a lan party with halo fans and you will see why the novelty of the wii games isnt that big of a deal for reviews sake. Just because a game is enticing to a bunch of inexperienced crappy gamers doesn't suddenly mean it should score well. This is like saying all movies should use small childish words so everyone can know what's going on, suddenly making it better.

Don't apologize you didn't even insult me just now. Anyway I don't think Gnizmo is a professional reviewer and my comment was directed towards him saying Wii Sports is a well made game. THIS IS WHERE OUR DIFFERENCE IS. I think stuff like Wii Sports was rated fairly, you don't. And not based on opinions either, but based on the merit of the game, what it offers, the depth and functionality of the game.

Wii Sports being well made is certainly not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact. Can you name any glitches in the game? Any spots where the gameplay suffers for no reason? Does the game ever stop being fun for those that enjoy it for no reason?

The gameplay is consistant, there are no technical bugs, and the graphics are the same throughout the entire game. It is a very well made game without a doubt. You might not like to play it, and I can respect that. Reviewers do not get that luxury when printing reviews though. A well made game should get very good reviews regardless of the person reviewing it.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
Don't apologize you didn't even insult me just now. Anyway I don't think Gnizmo is a professional reviewer and my comment was directed towards him saying Wii Sports is a well made game. THIS IS WHERE OUR DIFFERENCE IS. I think stuff like Wii Sports was rated fairly, you don't. And not based on opinions either, but based on the merit of the game, what it offers, the depth and functionality of the game.

Wii Sports being well made is certainly not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact. Can you name any glitches in the game? Any spots where the gameplay suffers for no reason? Does the game ever stop being fun for those that enjoy it for no reason?

The gameplay is consistant, there are no technical bugs, and the graphics are the same throughout the entire game. It is a very well made game without a doubt. You might not like to play it, and I can respect that. Reviewers do not get that luxury when printing reviews though. A well made game should get very good reviews regardless of the person reviewing it.

The fact that the controls don't work at all during boxing isn't a flaw? If that was intended then it was a really bad decision on Nintendo's part. The Tennis controls could also use a bit of work, as could the controls for golf(I'll admit I might just suck as golf). Bowling is really fun but it's hardly accurate either, should it be? I think so.

The controls for Wii Sports are a bit too simple to the point where it's not picking up and advance form of movement, just basic movement. The boxing controls are an absolute mess so I don't think I need to get into that. Tennis, while it works well it could be much better, When I swing back-handed the game doesn't always pick that up, cause my Mii to swing the wrong way and for the ball to go out of bounds.

Wii Sports is a good game but it's very early, If Nintendo gave it another go I promise you they could make a game worthy of a 10 if they nail the motion controls. But Wii Sports as it is does indeed have flaws and limited motion controls, which is what the game is based around. 

Wii sports looks like crap compared to galaxy, thus its graphics deserve to get marked down, and your comment about the gameplay is terrible dude. if I made a game where the objective is to hold UP to get to the top of the screen, and it worked perfectly, it should score perfectly right?

Wii sports has shallow but fun gameplay, it has no online, no unlockables, no anything. It 'works' usually (read, usually)  and has few problems but doesn't actually try to do much of anything. Gears of war is a game with insane depth yet numerous problems or glitches, but it's still a better game because it does far more, even if it has more glitches or technical issues.

goldenpp72 said:
Wii sports looks like crap compared to galaxy, thus its graphics deserve to get marked down, and your comment about the gameplay is terrible dude. if I made a game where the objective is to hold UP to get to the top of the screen, and it worked perfectly, it should score perfectly right?

Wii sports has shallow but fun gameplay, it has no online, no unlockables, no anything. It 'works' usually (read, usually) and has few problems but doesn't actually try to do much of anything. Gears of war is a game with insane depth yet numerous problems or glitches, but it's still a better game because it does far more, even if it has more glitches or technical issues.
lol exactly! Depth comes into play here. If Golden's hold up game deserves a higher score than Super Smash Brothers Melee then I think there is something wrong with that particular method of reviewing.

Edouble24 said:

And from Gamerankings, some 'casual games' that have scored very well

http://www.gamerankings.com/

Rockband-93/100
Guitar Hero II-92/100
Rez HD-90/100
Meteos-88/100
Elite Beat Agents-87/100
Planet Puzzle League-87/100
Guitar Hero III-86/100
Locoroco-85/10
Nintendogs-85/100
Clubhouse games-82/100
Uno 360-81/100

I could go on for a long time. Some casual games just have less flaws, greater functionality, more depth and just a lot more to them. And they end up scoring well.

Rez was a casual game? I'd hazard a guess you said the name Rez or elite beat agents even to a lot of people who play games regularly you would get a blank stare in return.

Yes

casual doesn't equal popular. Just fyi.