By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Analyst: Xbox "generates" $2 billion in losses for MS. Hides it with patent royalties

Scoobes said:
DirtyP2002 said:

LoL @ Business Insider

MS posted a profit for the EDD even before Android was on the market or Skype was acquired.

Entertainment and Devices Division

(In millions, except percentages) 2009 2008 2007 Percentage
Change
Versus
Percentage
Change
Versus
Revenue $7,753 $8,206 $ 6,139 (6)% 34%
Operating income (loss) $ 169 $497 $(1,898) (66)% *

The first Android phone was in 2008 wasn't it?

October 21st to be precise.

MS fiscal year ends in June.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
Scisca said:
XO is too important in the MS project of conquering our whole livingroom the way Apple is doing this (Win PC + Win Tablet + Win Smartphone + XO all working together). They won't sell it.

@DirtyP2002 - I hope you're gonna keep that sig on you once Titanfall releases on PS4. Cause you know it will, don't you?

Whatever makes you happy.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

J_Allard said:
Somini said:
J_Allard said:
When even SonyGAF is saying this is a load of bull, you know it's a load of bull.

It seems like you're selective in when you choose to belive them.

This person's credibility is larger than that of some random people on gaming forums who have no knowledge of the situation.

It seems like you're always wrong about every analysis you try to make.

And yeah, I'm sure you're an expert on Richard Sherlund versus the posters on NeoGAF versus the information MS releases that we can all see and comprehend.

This is why a discussion is useless with someone like you.

drkohler said:

MS has always carefully hidden the breakdown within ED&D. At all times, it contained groups that were highly profitable (Peripherals, Mac Software, Live, etc), and stuff that were (sometimes highly) unprofitable. Then there has always been vreative accounting, like: The $1b ADDITIONAL loss due to rrod was NOT charged to ED&D. The $1b PR stunts with Kinect were NOT fully charged to RD&D. The XBox360 was ONLY profitable in the US hardware-wise (which happens to be its best territory. Does anyone really think the $189 Kinect bundles are profitable hardware-wise in Europe?). At the end of the day, there must be a reason why people including Allen (biggest shareholder in MS stock) want XBox out of MS....

Paul Allen isn't the biggest shareholder of MS Stock.

Allen wants Xbox out of MS because Paul Allen wants to tear apart Microsoft, a company Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer essentially forced him out of.  It wouldn't be the first time either.  After being forced out of Microsoft, Allen sold of all of his shares of Microsoft stock back in the early 80's in an effort to tank the stock. 

Paul Allen is an incredibly intelligent and smart man.  Microsoft probably would not be where it is today without him, but he got outfoxed by Gates and Ballmer and he's been pissed about it ever since.  His views and opinions are colored, if not blinded by what happened.

Arius Dion said:
I trust investors and shareholders more than forum dwellers. The fact is Xbox is a huge loss for M$. And M$ doesn't like that. Wouldn't be shocked if MS eventually dumps it or dissolves it. Gaming isn't their primary focus, never has been.

The company is moving toward devices and services.  Xbox is a device.  Xbox LIVE is a service. 

Around the Network

Dam is the situation that bad?
http://www.gamrreview.com/news/90687/microsoft-ceo-candidate-stephen-elop-could-sell-xbox-division/

Somini said:

Yikes and that is coming from such an unbiased source. You really cut me deep there bro, idk if my jimmies will ever stop rustling.

spynx said:
How does M$ make money from skype? I know people use it for free.

Some people buy skype credit to be able call landline or mobile phones and they sell various packages inculding a yearly subscriptions to use this feature.

J_Allard said:
Somini said:

Yikes and that is coming from such an unbiased source. You really cut me deep there bro, idk if my jimmies will ever stop rustling.

You need to stop seeing a problem everywhere you go. Not everyone is out to get you.

Relax.

Where on Earth does that post say you're out to get me, lol. Making less sense than usual. Actually save it, no one cares.