By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who Really Won the Console War?

Im not going to include sources as i am busy at the moment so im going to go through a quick conclusion of each and then show my analysis.

Sold Retail -  This is one is the easiest of the three to conclude as it is on the front page of VGC.

1st - Wii
2nd - PS3
3rd - X360

Profits -  This one was clearly the Wii since it had a huge beginning and also selling the most software.  X360 would come in 2nd thanks to Xbox Live, Kinect,  and also having the highest Software attatch Ratio of the 3.
|
1st - Wii
2nd - X360
3rd - PS3

From a tactical standpoint -  PS3 would be last on this one since they lost a huge marketshare to both microsoft and Nintendo generation to generation.  Microsoft however would come in first with gaining 40 million members on Xbox Live, starting the online generation, gaining 3rd party support that use to be exclusive, as well as gaining roughly 60m in its userbase on only its 2nd console.  Wii would be 2nd since it sold the most hardware as well as gaining on marketshare.  unfortutely in its late years it has shown that much of itss casual crowd has turned to other devices

1st -X360
2nd - Wii
3rd PS3

Analayss - So who is the winner?

The gamers.  We had a phenominal generation of games regardless of what platform.  They left most gamers who bought one or all three of the consoles happy.  have a good day everybody.

Around the Network

No one won, they all came away with some large problems. Sony and MS are left battling for the same customers who seem completely split halving the profits each company could make. Nintendo are left struggling to find there audience again with WiiU because they relied a lot on a casual market who either a)isnt ready to move to new consoles or b)wont move to new consoles.

Overall though they kinda all won, i mean just look at the growth in the gaming market in the 7th gen

Based on the info in the OP, I would have to say the PS3 won.

Problem is that facts are not always welcomed.

For example the Sold Retail part, should I believe VGChartz estimates or official shipped numbers wich give X360 an edge over PS3?

The good thing is that deep inside, everybody knows this gen :

1/ Wii
2/ 360
3/ PS3

As a gamer I won this gen. Lots of quality games and good competition (except the initial stumble of microsoft and sony). I hope next gen also remains like this gen.

Around the Network

I agree 100%, i hate it when folks say that the ps3 won the console war, it didn't. All it managed to do was lose sony a ton of money, and waste away the market share that they had built up with the ps2. On the other hand, i don't think sony would have pushed it's 1st party games so hard if they weren't fighting an up-hill battle, and because of that, just like Jaywood said, we the gamers have won.

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

And I love the conclusion, YES this gen was amazing.

The only downside is that software revenue now needs to be split through retail, add-ons, seasons passes, etc.
And that actually is a burden to the online life cycle of our favorite MPs

PS. Wonder if we'll ever again see consoles that actually cost twice the retail price

Sold retail has always been the deciding factor. It will be again next gen. It cannot be argued.

Profits can be argued as there is no hard evidence to confirm what each console made. All we get is a lot of speculation. Nintendo made the most money but show me exactly how much of that was from the wii WITHOUT the DS. X360 made a profit and may just about wipe out the xbox total loss but give me a distinct figure. How much?

Tactical, I suppose that can be spinned however you want it. I would give tactical to Nintendo because they came from last place based on Retail with the GC and bludgeon the opposition with pretty much the same system second time around. If that isn't tactical genius I don't know what is. Tactical is subjective.

Non-the-less it is an interesting thread.

As a gamer I look to which console gave me the best time with their (exclusive) games.

For me:

1. PS3
2. 360 
3. Wii

This gen had three losers, in my opinion. I have never bought fewer console games or been more annoyed at inflated review scores and shallow gameplay and writing.

Technically, it was the Wii, strategically it was the 360.