By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita Sales

Pokemon X Xenoblade would be awesome^

Around the Network

With being able to just shut the 3DS and suspend, there is no need for "short burst" design unless the game concept doesn't hold up to prolonged play. Save your game anywhere? That came from quick save in PC gaming. Or do people now carry them around in backpacks and need quick bursts for portability?

The most popular PSP games were full blown home console experiences. So far the Vita's most popular games follow a similar trend (can't say I approve, as I don't actually rate CoD or Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, though Uncharted was great fun on the train).

That said, indie games often provide this immediacy, yet are dismissed due to being available on PC and home consoles. (Hotline Miami and Thomas Was Alone in particular work better on Vita than PC/PS3)

There is a constant ongoing hypocrisy about what is/isn't a handheld game and why it is/isn't better suited to a home console which gets tailored to suit whether someone wants to promote a format's lineup or criticize it.

Game is game is game is game. As a gamer, this is quite clear to me.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Ponyless said:

Oh my mistake, i thought it was just a in general statement.

It's hard to describe why i think pokemon doesn't work nearly as well on consoles then handhelds. When i played pokemon colliseum and XD there was something that just never felt anywhere near as good as a handheld pokemon. With the streetpass feature i just meet a lot of random people and maybe sometimes trade/battle. I think one of the best thigns is that when i'm at my college, i just get that green light to appear on my 3DS telling me that someone is nearby that i could interact with. In my opinion, if you were on something like the wii u and just interacting with someone using wi-fi battle/trading, it would not be near as good just finding someone at random in person and battle/trading with them.  

I'd say the main bit is, neither of them were anywhere near as good as the pokemon games that came out on the Gameboy/DS :)

Street Pass definitely adds an extra dimension to the pokemon concept. But wouldn't it be better still to be able then come back from college victorious from those battles, transfer your save onto say the Wii U, and pick up and carry your game on where you left off?

Streetpass games are definetly handheld games too. They're true "social" games

Sony's first party games on teh PSP didnt do exorbitantly well did they? I dont think the console "experiences" were among the best sellling software on teh PSP either. ( Really it was just monster hunter and certain franchises)

Well it's been fun debating anyway. I won't say "arguing" because I completely get your views, I just have an alternative one :) but bed time ;p

Btw, to answer your earlier question, no I haven't played the games you suggested on 3DS, I'll have to check them out if they saw an EU release. Tempted to get Bravely Default next month. The Collectors Edition looks great.

Around the Network
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

Vita doesnt have enough RPG, or puzzle games(or Mystery games or the general bulk the 3DS has)  and anything worthwhile besides the exclusive it shares with the 3DS.  Shit its library is only worth it, if you havent played the PS1 games, or you want to play handheld versions of ports.

Not to mention I dont like Persona ;P.

Also Tales of Hearts DS > Tales of Hearts Vita

But I prefer Innocence on the Vita
And I hate hate HATE the nubs on the Vita.

I also prefer the 2000 model.

I have a Vita for Soul Sacrifice.

I also had a PSP and frankly that is better than the Vita (Ergonomics and Game Library)

Shit I dont even see having an American Vita as worth it, because of their trippy account network with it, and I'd rather just go into the japanese store. They make importing certain things unnesescarily complicated

I'm the opposite, except one thing. I think the RPG library on both right _now_ is atrocious. Pokemon, Rune Factory, Kingdom Hearts, SMT, Etrian Odyssey, and others are rather pathetic entries in the 3DS RPG lineup. I don't consider DS xRPG games as part of the main 3DS library much as I don't consider PSP/PS1/PS2 xRPG games as part of the PSV library.

But if we were going by prev gen emulated RPG games I would say the DS library was horrendous compared to the PSP library. As an owner of more DS games than PSP games I pretty much threw my hands in the air because of the inability to enjoy almost every single game I bought for my DS due to distracting 2nd screen mechanics. Frankly the only thing I did like on the DS were the non games like brain age and language coach as well as near direct ports that used the 2nd touch screen for practically nothing.

I love the PSV ergonomics. I hated the PSPs hard as nails analog nub.

You do make a 2nd good point though, they need to do serious work on a unified international account system. Many PSV owners import heavily and having to swap mem cards and do janky account switches suck. Of course, you can't even do that with the 3DS.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I love the DS's RPG line up because of ATLUS, and I've owned every RPG on the 3DS except for Rune Factory. ( Which to me are just farming games mixed with dungeon crawlers)
( I returned a couple of the super niche japanese ones)

I love SMT and I love Etrian Odyssey, I imported all the action 3DS games and the RPG games (Youkai watch is pretty damn awesome)

I'd rather be fully region locked than semi region locked >_>

Trying to find every good RPG game on the DS is a pain in the ass, lots of trecking through Akihabara, Amazon and using my software released reference list was a time and money sink XD

And being honest, the DS was the last time Square Enix had a competent line up

The 3DS is good because NIntendo's own output on it is better than their output on the DS.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

I'd rather be fully region locked than semi region locked >_>

I can't understand this. Who the hell benefits from this?

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I travel often so I can just pick up 3DS's on sale and I can do simple transfers

http://i.imgur.com/k4HdivZ.gif
This pretty much wraps up the 3DS vs Vita situation.