By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Be careful on the xbox.com forums

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
As far as customer service goes, yeah, they'd have no clue. They'd probably just see the same message you got. Most support personnel are contracted and have little real power. The enforcement team is internal, if I remember correctly. They operate separately.

You should be allowed to say that you don't accept invitations from French people as long as you do not insult them. That's your right. What you have written, though, might have confused the agent and they took it as some kind of disparaging remark. I'd remove the swear word and make sure I had a period between the two phrases.

And, yeah, someone reported you.

every bit of my xboxlive info now says "code of conduct" :D I'd hope that isn't offensive to anyone and yeah like I said for the french thing, I play online for the interaction and I just can't do it with people I dont speak the same language as, European French are rather proud of their language and will use it online where as while other countries in Europe obviously have English as a second language if at all they are more likely (in my experience) to try to communicate in English. I have absolutely no issue in the Universe with this situation, I just found it easier to add it to my motto so if I removed someone from a room they could read that on my Profile before sending me a message asking why they were removed, I still answered anyone who did ask, like I said I'm generally a nice person online.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

The ban seems pretty reasonable. your profile is definitely against the code of conduct and what probably happened is when you posted in forum, someone looked at your profile and saw an easy way to report you and get banned for breach of code of conduct for what is in your profile, before that no one bothered to look.

nanarchy said:
The ban seems pretty reasonable. your profile is definitely against the code of conduct and what probably happened is when you posted in forum, someone looked at your profile and saw an easy way to report you and get banned for breach of code of conduct for what is in your profile, before that no one bothered to look.

yeah will just have to open their chat thing tomorrow and check, all I get atm is odd broken links because half the site doesn't work when you're banned.... also I wish to god I could report your profile pic for making me think of Pennywise.... scary shit. My main worry is just that without a simple "you're banned for X" I'm of course going to worry it was something other than the 2 year old motto on the profile.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Yeah this type of stuff kinda makes me scared of the digital future. I've never had problems with any place, but all these stories keep the fear alive.

Honestly I'm kinda hoping that by making a name for myself in the industry, I can have some sort of protection against this. Not planning any rule breaking, but if my account incorrectly gets flagged I'd at least know people to contact verses being left in the dark.

At the same time though, these stories usually end in the revelation that the moderated user was flat out lying about following the TOS. Not saying you are, but just that people shouldn't necessarily fear unjust moderation.

JoeTheBro said:
Yeah this type of stuff kinda makes me scared of the digital future. I've never had problems with any place, but all these stories keep the fear alive.

Honestly I'm kinda hoping that by making a name for myself in the industry, I can have some sort of protection against this. Not planning any rule breaking, but if my account incorrectly gets flagged I'd at least know people to contact verses being left in the dark.

At the same time though, these stories usually end in the revelation that the moderated user was flat out lying about following the TOS. Not saying you are, but just that people shouldn't necessarily fear unjust moderation.

oh yeah mate I've got a friend currently trying to regain access to most of his fps games on steam library because he only cheated in some of the games where it was too funny not to and he doesn't consider using ESP a hack because it's too easy to get....

Like people have pointed out tho I had a swear word in my motto on the xbox which was more than likely a reason to just gimme a poke about it and wipe the stuff off, is just a shock to me like I said since it was there close to 2 years and then just outta the blue, Ban!

I guess while my OP was more worried that I had stepped on toes of moderators on the forums at Xbox.com after some replies here I'd guess it's more stepping on the toes of the users there which is less worrying but still it's bad to forget for a minute that an account tied to my games is the one I'm also posting with on their forums.

Around the Network

This is how I see it:

your bio gives off a racist impression and you managed to last with it for so long because you do not play much online, and if you ever did, it was a 1 on 1 fighter so you matched up with few players and players in those kinds of games really don't care about who they are playing much because nobody voice chats and matches are short and sweet.

You posted on a high traffic thread, That opened up your profile contents to a wider audience than it ever was presented to, somebody got curious and went through your profile found the motto to be offensive and then reported it. It did not have to be an xbox.com moderator, and I would bet that it wasn't

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Too_Talls said:
This is how I see it:

your bio gives off a racist impression and you managed to last with it for so long because you do not play much online, and if you ever did, it was a 1 on 1 fighter so you matched up with few players and players in those kinds of games really don't care about who they are playing much because nobody voice chats and matches are short and sweet.

You posted on a high traffic thread, That opened up your profile contents to a wider audience than it ever was presented to, somebody got curious and went through your profile found the motto to be offensive and then reported it. It did not have to be an xbox.com moderator, and I would bet that it wasn't

Would it really be considered racist to say you didn't accept matches from certain countries? when I posted the Sorry in my OP that was part of my original motto also and like I said anyone who said why if I removed them I was most civil to. I also could have probably added that I wouldn't play with people from the Eastern countries or brazil because of language/latency but it's surely not racist to want to be able to turn around after a game and message a person knowing they can understand it? If I wanted to play against things I can't interact with other than 1 fight I have single player.

edit - I should point out I'm not saying you're wrong I'm legit asking if the statement came off as racism from how you read it? just that I never intended it to really offend : < I guess I coulda clarified my stance rather than just 1 line. bit stupid of me.

Anfebious said:

Hey if you don't like the terms and conditions fuck off... joking xD.

Anyway that isn't good, getting your Xbox live account banned because of something you wrote on a forum seems weird. I hope that it isn't the case, if so that's bullshit. At least the ban was short right?

He wasnt banned for writing in the forums, although that may have been where he was reported.  He was banned for his motto, the part about the french im guessing.

pro tip for everybody out there, leave all the bio crap blank.  Nobody reads it, and it is usually used as excuse to ban people more than anything else.

Look at it this way,

what sounds better to you?

"I don't play with french people"
"I don't play with people in france"

Option one discriminates your people association based on race.
"french people need not apply, even if you are living in America you are not welcome" Would be how that is interpreted. I don't know if thats what it meant but thats how I interpreted it. Generalizing an entire race based on negative experiences with a few is borderline discrimination. It's like you don't believe that there is any good in french people.

Option 2 has a different interpretation. "If you are in the french region we cannot play with each other" It is possible some slow people might read this in the same way as the 1st so I would be very careful with the wording to kill all possibility of offending people. This could mean that the connection with people in france is too unstable for a fluent session. I don't like to play against people in japan or australia for that reason. But if thise nationalities resided in america we can have fun.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

gergroy said:
Anfebious said:

Hey if you don't like the terms and conditions fuck off... joking xD.

Anyway that isn't good, getting your Xbox live account banned because of something you wrote on a forum seems weird. I hope that it isn't the case, if so that's bullshit. At least the ban was short right?

He wasnt banned for writing in the forums, although that may have been where he was reported.  He was banned for his motto, the part about the french im guessing.

pro tip for everybody out there, leave all the bio crap blank.  Nobody reads it, and it is usually used as excuse to ban people more than anything else.

aye was just well happy with getting that achieve, if you've ever played sf4 it's to basically rank up all 35 characters in ranked matches twice so you need about 20wins with each fighter and you get matched up based on your player points overall so if you've won 1000 matches with 1 char the last chars you're doing it with you're gonna be put up against pros.

But yeah will be pretty blank from now on or just worded better, I still need to find out for sure if it was the word fuck or saying about not accepting french fights, I just hope the customer support can give me at least an idea of which it was, dont want a longer ban, my xbox is pretty handy hooked up for youtube in the sitting room to listen to tunes while cooking n stuff :)