By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hackers working overtime: Wii Hacked

We'll just agree to disagree. Odds are that my Wii and my copy of Zelda: TP are one of the "non compatible versions", anyway.

Around the Network

Pure joy ! Let the homebrew scene be big and healthy.

Wait so what does this exactly mean? I saw the video and I don't quite understand what it means...

You can play games without having the disk of the game? In other words he downloaded the game on his Wii and doesn't actually OWN the disk of Twilight Princess? Hypothetically speaking.

wfz said:
Wait so what does this exactly mean? I saw the video and I don't quite understand what it means...

You can play games without having the disk of the game? In other words he downloaded the game on his Wii and doesn't actually OWN the disk of Twilight Princess? Hypothetically speaking.

What they have done is run unsigned (ie, non-official) code on the Wii in Wii mode. While it has always been possible to run unsigned code in GC mode, this is the first time it has been done in Wii mode. This allows for access to the Wiimote, SD slot and other Wii only features. This will hopefully allow for future modifications including 'homebrew' channels so exploiting Zelda will only be required to bootstrap the initial program.

Personally, I'm keen to see some sort of Media Centre program which will run movies/songs from an external USB drive.

XBMC on the Wii!

But anyway, maybe I don't understand this correctly. Is Zelda actually running code from the save slot? Why?

Around the Network
wfz said:

In this day and age with constant system updates the answer is "not much". As someone else has said Nintendo will stick a patch in a system update and the hack will be closed and they'll have to find a new one.

Does this mean I can have linux someday on my wii. Do you need a modchip for this to work or anything extra other than a sd card.

ferret1603 said:
wfz said:

In this day and age with constant system updates the answer is "not much". As someone else has said Nintendo will stick a patch in a system update and the hack will be closed and they'll have to find a new one.

No one has really clarified *if* Nintendo can patch it. Nintendo doesn't have any known mechanisms to patch games, which means if Zelda itself is executing the code (which is likely as not all version of the game work), then Nintendo may not be able to patch it.

Nintendo does have mechanisms to patch games, I think. They released a patch for Mario Strikers Charged shortly after release, and also lots of Virtual Console games have been patched.

i thought all it did was jack up his hearts and and give him the sword