By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

irstupid said:

So what, is that like me using Plex?

Will the PS4 not let me stream movies off my computer through plex?

or not even plex, just me setting up a server on my pc to stream through my wireless router to other devices.  

That is basically what this means, yes.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
Somini said:
Osc89 said:
Somini said:

I'm not annoyed. I didn't like it on the PS3 to be honest. Besides it can always be added through a firmware update later on.

Do you have any digital music/video files? Without this or USB hard drive support, I don't see any way to use them on a PS4.

Well i do. I used to download a lot of MKV files and convert them to DivX to watch on the PS3, but since i found a way to make Netflix work on my dutch PS3, i haven't looked back :)

A USB harddrive support should be there already, since you can use an external HD and all. If not, i'm sure it will be added later. The media server thing came to the PS3 a couple of months after launch.

If the FAQ they also mention they don't support external hard drives as well. While I use both Netflix and LoveFilm, they aren't a complete substitute for being able to use digital files.

I've been using this functionality a ton. Will be very sad if they don't add some type of media center/PC streaming function.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I'm just annoyed that I won't be able use my USB HDD, internal hardrives are find cand sometimes be a pain to mess with. Not to mention, you have download Gigs and gigs of data to play multiplied of games. I was someone do an unboxing of Knack and found out that you have to install 37 GB of data in order to play it.....whats up with that? I thought all the content was on the disk.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

KHlover said:

Xbox1 is back in the game for me.

Because it also doesn't support dlna???

Around the Network

This actually really pisses me off. I download hundreds of shows and movies that dont appear on the streaming services, and I run a media stream from my laptop daily, whenever the kids want to watch something in particular.

im really not sure the logic behind this move..maybe they want people to pay for that music/movies unlimited?

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

either are bits of annoyance, but far away from a deal break, lots of other DLNA devices to use for movie stream, the music in the background is a smart move by sony to expand their service, me as a non subscriber, will use my phone or mp3 player with speakers to play music. don't need to have my mp3 files in two places, and my PS4 hdd will be used for games instead of media files.
Sony needs the $$ for the quarter financial reports not to be so depressing.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

This + no mp3 support is bullshit, no other way of looking at it. Fix this, Sony.
If enough people complain, they will.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

That's just stupid to drop. I personally used this feature heavily on both the PS3 and 360. Not happy about this......

Damnyouall said:
This + no mp3 support is bullshit, no other way of looking at it. Fix this, Sony.
If enough people complain, they will.

I agree. I hoping for a bit of backlash on this as I don't want them to gimp the PS4 just to push their music and movies unlimited services. The FAQ comments on their site are mostly on this, so I hope they pick up on it.