By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

Never used my PS3 for this, will more than likely never use it for my PS4. There's just no reason for me to. I can easily turn on my PC if I want to watch or listen to the content I have saved on it.

Around the Network

disappoint but not use much for that purposes

Osc89 said:
adriane23 said:
Osc89 said:
Anyone else annoyed by this?

Not really. I tried using it on PS3, and it never worked out as well as just connecting my PC to my TV.

While it isn't amazing on PS3, I was hoping they would improve it on PS4. It was by backup solution given they don't seem to be supporting USB hard drives anymore.

PS3 media server worked just fine.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

BTW, Sony aren't the only ones trying to bullshit us: Xbone doesn't support DLNA and MP3 either.

What is this, I don't even.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

theprof00 said:
while ps4 will not function as a DLNA extender and will not support media center capabilities, for those of you who love the ps service, we have a device for you, the ps3.

Excellent point! Good thing no one said this officially.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Around the Network

It's no good, but obviously it's easy to see why it's being done, so they can make more money off of their own services (not a fan of that approach, but hey... it's Sony CORP after all). I've stopped using my PS3 as a media server as soon as I got a laptop to replace it at that task (which it does much better), but some people are gonna be disappointed, including the devs of PS3 media server I s'pose.

drkohler said:
KHlover said:

Xbox1 is back in the game for me.

Because it also doesn't support dlna???

Well, right now it's not WORSE than the PS4 in this regard. So yes.

Well, aside from PS4 not being backwards compatible, these are additional reasons to keep your PS3s.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

kabamarutr said:
Osc89 said:
adriane23 said:

Not really. I tried using it on PS3, and it never worked out as well as just connecting my PC to my TV.

While it isn't amazing on PS3, I was hoping they would improve it on PS4. It was by backup solution given they don't seem to be supporting USB hard drives anymore.

PS3 media server worked just fine.

It worked, but it wasn't exactly the best experience; you just had a load of files and folders. It would be cool if they had improved upon it, look at what you have with Plex:

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

I actually never knew it existed since like a year ago. And even after knowing about it, I still did not find any use for it so no problem here.