By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen has finally come to an end; what was your favorite moment of this Gen?

expriencing the Mario Galaxy games.
picking up the WiiMote and Nunchuck and playing WiiSports for the first time.
all those awesome memories playing Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, etc on Wii.
seeing Donkey Kong Country Returns, Sin and Punishment 2, and other franchises get rebooted.
playing Metroid Prime Hunters, NSMB, Mario Kart DS, etc. for the DS.
Virtual Consoles as a whole. i loved playing Mario 64 with a GC controller ^^

and best of all:

Wii passing PS360 in sales.

it felt so fucking good.

Around the Network

Favourite game related moments:

- Playing PGR3 in 2005 and being absolutely blown away by the visuals!
- My first experience Gears of War, was my favourite game for a long time.
- The intro of Bioshock was brilliant and it is now one of my favourite games ever.
- Mass Effect 2 was just a masterpiece, I blame the game for my obsession with astronomy & sci-fi.
- Red Dead Redemption made me fall in love with the wild west.
- After years of waiting, unbelievable hype, God of War 3 releases and blows me away, favourite game ever.
- The Last of Us was the first game to give me goosebumps and I loved it.

Finally getting Killzone 2 and experiencing unrivaled graphics. Only Crysis could claim victory over it...

FattyDingDong said:

I personally think that this was by far the greatest gen of gaming ever. We had some of the greatest games ever made such as GTA 5, Batman Arkham City, Borderlands 2, Skyrim,  Fallout 3, Fable 3, God of War 3, Mass Effect 2, Team Fortress 2, Bioshock series, Assassins Creed series, Gears of war series, Uncharted series, and who could forget Call of Duty series!!! which revolutionized gaming and made it more appealing to the casual.  Yes some might hate COD and it's totally fine but one cannot deny that COD was the biggest success in this gen what i mean by that is that thanks to COD other developers were inspired to make great games such as Killzone, Battlefield etc.  I know I haven't listed so many other great games so forgive me..

What was your favorite moment of this gen? that made you go whoa! and made you jump up and down. For me it would have to be when Hideo Kojima surprised all of us by showing up at the Microsoft E3 and annoucning that MGS is coming to XBOX!  I was so excited because I am a big MGS fan and I owned the Xbox so it meant that I wont be needing to purchase a PS3 to play MGS games.  PLEASE SHARE YOUR FAVORITE MOMENT! and... you favorite game(s)

Battlefield came out before COD.  Also I would have to disagree.  This was an AWESOME GEN in gaming, but this is not better than SNES or the PC gaming boom in the 90's.  Best besides those though.  My favorite moment...That's a tough one!  Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare scenes in the middle of the woods were CRAZY.  I was blown away first time playing that.  Ending of Last of Us.  Return to Shadow Moses in MGS4 was EPIC!  Overall favorite, would have to be when the BETA was released for Battlefield Bad Company 2.  I got so addicted to Port Valdez and I have not stopped playing Bad Company 2 since.  My favorite competitive shooter and game of this GEN by a LONGSHOT.  Vietnam is probably the best DLC ever made.

My favorites:

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

2. Borderlands 2

3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1

4. Resistance 1

5. The Last of Us

6. Bioshock 1

7. Mass Effect 2

8. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

9. Gravity Rush

10. Trials Evolution

11. Uncharted 2
12. Doom 3 BFG Edition
13. Dark Souls
14. Max Payne 3
15. NBA Jam on Fire Edition

Honoarable Mentions = Metal Gear Solid 4, Fable, Chinatown Wars, Killzone Mercenary, Killzone 2, Halo 3, Infamous1, 2, Shadows of the Damned, Rage, Tomb Raider

Watching the PS3 tank early on this gen leading up to this famous Sarcasticgamer song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmBzllkbUM

The reason why I was cheerful was because Sony was really cocky after PS2 and Xbox was the underdog.

Gamewise, it was Bioshock 1 and Infinite. And finally the Mass Effect franchise as the best sci-fi RPG ever made.

Also, watching The Old Republic succumb to free to play was extremely satisfying since I predicted it long before it was announced and fanboys were quick to dismiss as usual.

Around the Network

Stepping out of the sewers in Oblivion for the first time.

Second best was the first few minutes of Demon Souls and to feel those amazing controls in combat.

Battlefield 3 vs COD: MW3 was one of mine.

Zelda's 25th anniversary. The whole year, best year ever,

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

1. Playing Mario Galaxy for the first time in Walmart back in 07, beating the first boss, and knowing then that it would be the best 3d platformer of all time... until Galaxy 2.
2. Playing and beating Halo 3's campaign co-op on my bro's 360. Good times.
3. Seeing the first Assassin's creed trailer and thinking "is this real life?"

A singular moment? That is very challenging. I mean 2013 has been my favorite year by far so maybe the fact that this generation went long to facilitate so many great games for my tastes is favorite part.

A singular moment might be having zero expectations or knowledge of "The Last of Us" picking it up on sale and playing it with the missus enthralled watching me. So, something coming out of left field like that and being one of my top games of this generation was a great surprise.